Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 09:13:40 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: AMDOverdriveCtrl in Linuxcoin startup script doesn't have any effect  (Read 2259 times)
runeks (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1008

View Profile WWW
January 16, 2012, 07:04:08 PM

Hey all

I would like to use AMDOverdriveCtrl to set the core clock and voltage of the two GPUs in my my mining rig - a 5870 and a 5770.
I have successfully made a script that sets these properties, and added it to be run in /etc/rc.local. The script looks like this:

Code:
#!/bin/bash
sleep 30
cd /home/user/
AMDOverdriveCtrl -b -i 3 .AMDOverdriveCtrl/5770.ovdr >> logs/overdrive.log 2>&1
AMDOverdriveCtrl -b -i 0 .AMDOverdriveCtrl/5870.ovdr >> logs/overdrive.log 2>&1

The problem is that when I start up my mining rig, and run "aticonfig --odgc" to see the clocks of my cards, they're at their default clocks (and voltages). So the script hasn't had any effect. This is printed to the log file:

Code:
Error: Unable to initialize gtk, is DISPLAY set properly?

The script works fine if I log in via SSH and execute it manually. But when run from /etc/rc.local, it prints the error message above.
If you want to be a moderator, report many posts with accuracy. You will be noticed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Dutch Merganser

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 16, 2012, 07:10:08 PM
Last edit: January 16, 2012, 07:23:50 PM by Dutch Merganser

Hey all

I would like to use AMDOverdriveCtrl to set the core clock and voltage of the two GPUs in my my mining rig - a 5870 and a 5770.
I have successfully made a script that sets these properties, and added it to be run in /etc/rc.local. The script looks like this:

Code:
#!/bin/bash
sleep 30
cd /home/user/
AMDOverdriveCtrl -b -i 3 .AMDOverdriveCtrl/5770.ovdr >> logs/overdrive.log 2>&1
AMDOverdriveCtrl -b -i 0 .AMDOverdriveCtrl/5870.ovdr >> logs/overdrive.log 2>&1

The problem is that when I start up my mining rig, and run "aticonfig --odgc" to see the clocks of my cards, they're at their default clocks (and voltages). So the script hasn't had any effect. This is printed to the log file:

Code:

The script works fine if I log in via SSH and execute it manually. But when run from /etc/rc.local, it prints the error message above.

You probgably need to export the DISPLAY variable: the following works for me from cron and such:

export DISPLAY=':0'
/opt/bin/aticonfig --od-enable
/opt/bin/aticonfig --odgc
/opt/bin/aticonfig --odsc=900,1150

It just occurred to me that that can be more than one DISPLAY address, e.g. ':1' with a multi-card setup, I don't have a way to test this. Perhaps someone else can help here, as nor do I use the AMDOverdriveCtrl.

"Science flies you to the Moon, religion flies you into buildings."
 - Victor Stenger

"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and the rulers as useful."
 - Seneca the Elder (ca. 54 BCE - ca. 39 CE) Roman rhetorician
runeks (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1008

View Profile WWW
January 16, 2012, 10:31:58 PM

Yippee! Thank you! That did the trick. I had tried adding a line that said "DISPLAY=:0" before, but it didn't work properly. It seems it was the "export" keyword that was missing.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: