Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 11:31:49 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What are the biggestest threats to Bitcoin?  (Read 6901 times)
PetePete (OP)

Activity: 43
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 02, 2014, 04:54:35 PM

Quantum computers? Bugs in the code? Centralized mining?

Is there anything that can't potentially be overcome that is a threat to Bitcoin? Anything I didn't mention?

Thanks in advanced.
The trust scores you see are subjective; they will change depending on who you have in your trust list.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
bitomatic

Activity: 34

View Profile
May 02, 2014, 04:56:41 PM

I would say bugs in the code not yet exploited.
PetePete (OP)

View Profile
May 02, 2014, 05:21:30 PM

Thanks for reply.. Interesting.
yoxedubi

Activity: 2

View Profile WWW
May 02, 2014, 05:29:10 PM

@bitomatic Yep, they sure could pose a serious threat to the whole Bitcoin world, this is one of the worst problems with virtual currency.
BurtW
Legendary

Activity: 2646
Merit: 1131

All paid signature campaigns should be banned.

View Profile WWW
May 02, 2014, 05:37:31 PM

Anything that threatens the fungible nature of Bitcoin.  See my signature.

Our family was terrorized by Homeland Security.  Read all about it here:  http://www.jmwagner.com/ and http://www.burtw.com/  Any donations to help us recover from the $300,000 in legal fees and forced donations to the Federal Asset Forfeiture slush fund are greatly appreciated!
PetePete (OP)

View Profile
May 02, 2014, 06:48:52 PM

Thanks, I'm not quite sure i understand that term even though I checked the definition.
bitcatch

Activity: 53

View Profile
May 02, 2014, 06:53:28 PM

Bitcoin clones. They are the biggest threat not only to Bitcoin but to cryptocurrencyes movement in general.
BurtW
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 02, 2014, 06:57:01 PM

Thanks, I'm not quite sure i understand that term even though I checked the definition.
Basically if you have to defer to a third party "authority" in order to determine the value of something it is not fungible.

Take USD for example.  They are fungible.  If I send you $100 you are never going to say "I don't want those $100, send me a different $100"

Diamonds are not fungible.  We have to defer to a rating authority in order to determine the value.  If I send you a diamond you may very well send it back saying "I don't like that one, send me a different one"

Money is fungible.  Bitcoin needs to remain fungible.  If Bitcoin is not fungible it is no longer money and becomes a collectible.

Our family was terrorized by Homeland Security.  Read all about it here:  http://www.jmwagner.com/ and http://www.burtw.com/  Any donations to help us recover from the $300,000 in legal fees and forced donations to the Federal Asset Forfeiture slush fund are greatly appreciated!
LMGTFY

Activity: 644
Merit: 502

View Profile
May 02, 2014, 06:58:17 PM

(Kind of) Playing Devil's Advocate here, but - what kind of bugs in the code would cause a problem that couldn't be overcome? Particularly post-Heartbleed I'm very impressed with the online world's resilience. Bugs in, say, Bitcoin-QT would only affect people using it - people with their BTC in an offline wallet wouldn't be directly affected (though they might be affected by a fall in price resulting from the bad publicity).

This space intentionally left blank.
BurtW
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 02, 2014, 07:00:51 PM

Bitcoin clones. They are the biggest threat not only to Bitcoin but to cryptocurrencyes movement in general.
Do not agree.  Currently there are what, 50 alt currencies.  Or is it 100?  Or is it 25?  See?  It matters so little that we don't even really care how many alts there are.

BurtW
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 02, 2014, 07:04:09 PM

BTW Quantum computers are the least of our worries.  First, they do not exist.  Second, when/if they do they would not pose a threat to Bitcoin for a very long time - enough time for Bitcoin to adapt if necessary.

bitcatch

View Profile
May 02, 2014, 07:39:16 PM

Do not agree.  Currently there are what, 50 alt currencies.  Or is it 100?  Or is it 25?  See?  It matters so little that we don't even really care how many alts there are.

We don't need too many of them to destroy everything. Even 1 clone could be enough.

BTW, I think there are now significanly more than 200 alternate cyprocurrencies, exact number indeed doesn't matter. Maybe 80% or so of them are Bitcoin clones. The rest are clones of several other key cryptocurrencyes which became centers their own swarms of clones (parasites). I can name a couple of them: PPC, NXT. May be there are more.
PetePete (OP)

View Profile
May 02, 2014, 08:01:21 PM

Seems like no one has come up with a genuinely scary enough threat to Bitcoin, I take it that people that claim there is a a lot of risk in Bitcoin apart from it's fluctuating price are merely spreading FUD?

As for bugs in Bitcoin, don't developers test for bugs in clones of Bitcoin..
blatchcorn

Activity: 952
Merit: 281

View Profile
May 02, 2014, 08:02:12 PM

People who do not spend it
Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
May 02, 2014, 08:24:07 PM

Bitcoin p2p code or BTC the money which you spend?
The frauds, thefts and major scams have set-back BTC a lot, since "we" have a bad reputation.
Fortunately the competition is paper money.  Smiley

RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
May 02, 2014, 08:29:14 PM

Loss of net neutrality? maybe?

I worry that ISPs in the future will block ports or otherwise try impeding bitcoin network traffic. 

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
sprot

Activity: 14

View Profile
May 02, 2014, 08:37:20 PM

Anything that threatens the fungible nature of Bitcoin.  See my signature.
You mean Mike Hearn?
bitcatch

View Profile
May 02, 2014, 08:39:37 PM

As for bugs in Bitcoin, don't developers test for bugs in clones of Bitcoin..
It doesn't matter, do they test or not, because they don't go ahead of bitcoin development. And most of them are not capable of thorough testing, all they are able to do is just copy/paste code, clone repos, change several numeric parameters, and that's it. And usually they are not even able to merge code improvements from Bitcoin to their clones in timely manner. Basically, changes are first tested on Bitcoin, and then, sooner or later (maybe never) get incorporated into their code.
Additionally all the clones have much much lower tps rate, i.e. their nets are working under much less load, and bugs are less likely to come out.
bitomatic

Activity: 34

View Profile
May 02, 2014, 08:45:19 PM

More bugs is likely to come out, it's just a matter of time.
pr0p0f0l

Activity: 13

View Profile
May 02, 2014, 08:50:35 PM

Loss of net neutrality? maybe?

I worry that ISPs in the future will block ports or otherwise try impeding bitcoin network traffic. 

Yeah this has the potential to be a problem. It all depends on how far they take it. Now, with a distributed p2p protocol like Bitcoin, there is little chance that this could affect the framework itself. However, if ISPs started targeting sites that accept bitcoin or deal in bitcoin transactions and transfers, then we've got a potential problem. Worst case scenario is that Bitcoin takes on more of a blacklist status and ISPs start all out targeting related services. If this happens though, you can bet there are going to be a lot bigger problems. Essentially, in order to squelch Bitcoin, you will have to effectively block free speech through the internet and I really don't see that happening. It has worked so well with bitTorrent  Roll Eyes
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: