Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 12:52:48 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Proportional vs. pay-per-share  (Read 13146 times)
FnuGk (OP)

Activity: 55
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 16, 2011, 04:14:09 PM

Hi

I am currently mining in the deepbit pool where i can choose between two types of work payout methods; proportional and pay-per-share.

I am trying to understand what the difference is between them and this what the pros and cons are but i have not been able to gather any information regarding this on deepbits site so i thought maybe the community could enlighten me Smiley

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"I'm sure that in 20 years there will either be very large transaction volume or no volume." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
grue
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1431

View Profile
April 16, 2011, 04:18:17 PM

pay-per-share: high fees 10%+, but income is fixed (no variation)
proportional: much lower fees, but income varies. over time, the variations will balance out.

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Adblock for annoying signature ads | Enhanced Merit UI
FnuGk (OP)

View Profile
April 16, 2011, 04:22:24 PM

pay-per-share: high fees 10%+, but income is fixed (no variation)
proportional: much lower fees, but income varies. over time, the variations will balance out.

exactly how does this work?
so far i have been mining mostly using proportional as that was the default setting but i recently tried to change it to pay-per-share to see if there was any difference. But both of them seemed to give exactly the same !?
zoro

Activity: 226
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 16, 2011, 04:40:51 PM

pay per share will give more if a small amount of blocks have been found by the pool.
proportional will give more if a large amount of blocks is found by the pool.
but you never know what day you should switch to each other unless you can predict the future :p
thus, go to the method with the lesser fee!

"killer app" of BTC = MasterCoin https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=265488.0Mastercoin(A new protocol layer on top of Bitcoin)
FnuGk (OP)

View Profile
April 16, 2011, 05:16:47 PM

i think i somewhere read that if i have a very slow miner pps would be better is this true?

i cant remember where i read it so i cant re-read the source
zoro

Activity: 226

View Profile
April 16, 2011, 05:29:14 PM

yes i have seen this also, i was read about CPU miners are suitable for pps.
gpu is for proportional. but i think cpu miners are waste of electricity unless BTC goes to very high value
(i don't know economics) Smiley

"killer app" of BTC = MasterCoin https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=265488.0Mastercoin(A new protocol layer on top of Bitcoin)
FnuGk (OP)

View Profile
April 16, 2011, 05:33:27 PM

but then where is this "slow" line?

i am guessing my 320m with its 5000-6000 khash is in the slow area but what about my 30000 khash 8800gt?
vuce

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 16, 2011, 06:40:37 PM

grue speaks the truth. It's all about expected values, and prop expected value is always higher than pps.
grue
Legendary

Merit: 1431

View Profile
April 16, 2011, 08:19:16 PM

i think i somewhere read that if i have a very slow miner pps would be better is this true?

i cant remember where i read it so i cant re-read the source
From a statistical point of view, there are no miners suited to either method. The deciding factor is how much risk you're willing to take. For example, if you were CPU mining with proportional, and your pool found a block quicker than usual, you would have made much more money. But it could go the other way around, the pool takes longer than usual, you would lose money.

By using pay-per-share, you're essentially selling your work at a fixed price, so your payout is the same, and there is no risk for you. However, since the risk is transferred from you to the pool owner, he will want some compensation for accepting those risks, hence the high fee.

It's all risk vs. reward. Smiley

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Adblock for annoying signature ads | Enhanced Merit UI
Meni Rosenfeld
Donator
Legendary

Merit: 1054

View Profile WWW
April 17, 2011, 03:56:28 AM

You may be interested in my explanation about this. My recommendation is to always use score-based (which deepbit doesn't currently have).

1EofoZNBhWQ3kxfKnvWkhtMns4AivZArhr   |   Who am I?   |   bitcoin-otc WoT
Bitcoil - Exchange bitcoins for ILS (thread)   |   Israel Bitcoin community homepage (thread)
Analysis of Bitcoin Pooled Mining Reward Systems (thread, summary)  |   PureMining - Infinite-term, deterministic mining bond
[Tycho]

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
April 17, 2011, 04:52:00 AM

I am currently mining in the deepbit pool where i can choose between two types of work payout methods; proportional and pay-per-share.
I am trying to understand what the difference is between them and this what the pros and cons are but i have not been able to gather any information regarding this on deepbits site so i thought maybe the community could enlighten me :)
If you are mining with GPU then pay-per-share would be more profitable for me because it means 10% fee and proportional's fee is only 3%.
If you are mining with CPU, then the value is too small to make any serious difference :)

Welcome to my bitcoin mining pool: https://deepbit.net - Both payment schemes (including PPS), instant payout, no invalid blocks !
ICBIT Trading platform : USD/BTC futures trading, Bitcoin difficulty futures (NEW!). Third year in bitcoin business.
nster

Activity: 126

View Profile
April 18, 2011, 12:56:02 AM

I am trying to understand what the difference is between them and this what the pros and cons are but i have not been able to gather any information regarding this on deepbits site so i thought maybe the community could enlighten me Smiley
If you are mining with GPU then pay-per-share would be more profitable for me because it means 10% fee and proportional's fee is only 3%.
If you are mining with CPU, then the value is too small to make any serious difference Smiley

PPS would be better for them and worse for you if you are unlucky (expected shares per block is much lower than the shares per block you are getting). Right now, PPS has been a BIG profit for Tycho this difficulty step, as expected shares per block is much higher than the shares that were required to find the blocks so far.

167q1CHgVjzLCwQwQvJ3tRMUCrjfqvSznd Donations are welcome Smiley Please be kind if I helped
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: