Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 12:17:18 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Say "Good Bye" to HDD.  (Read 5860 times)
BawsyBoss

Activity: 389
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 10, 2014, 02:24:39 PM

"expect to spend about 75 cents per gigabyte (GB) on an SSD in 2014"

Here you go
That is exactly what I was looking for. There is a clear wide gap between HDDs and SSDs. Any known reasons for SSDs seeming to bounce back up?

Forever strong.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The block chain is the main innovation of Bitcoin. It is the first distributed timestamping system.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Tedward

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 10, 2014, 02:40:28 PM

I've had one drive die on me and lost all my stuff. Lesson learnd.
guybrushthreepwood
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1195

View Profile
May 10, 2014, 02:41:20 PM

I'd currently buy one for maybe running my operating system on but not for storing all my files. They're too expensive at the moment, but I'll replace my HDDs when they become affordable to do so.
ApexEvo

Activity: 280

🌟 æternity🌟 blockchain🌟

View Profile
May 10, 2014, 09:35:41 PM

I'd currently buy one for maybe running my operating system on but not for storing all my files. They're too expensive at the moment, but I'll replace my HDDs when they become affordable to do so.

right. I cant wait for price to fall. Also I have too many bad experiences with HDD failure and los af data. Dont you guys know how is reliability of SDD, I know only about awesome speed.

▄▄▄▄▄               ▄▄▄▄▄
   ▄▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄        ▄▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█▄
 ▄██▀        ▀██▄    ▄██▀         ▀█▄
██▀            ▀██▄  ▀▀             ██
██               ▀██        ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██
██                ▀██▄      ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
 ██▄          ▄██   ▀██▄          ▄▄▄
  ▀██▄      ▄██▀      ▀██▄▄     ▄██▀
    ▀▀██████▀▀          ▀▀██████▀▀

Unchained Smart Contracts
Decentralized Oracle
Infinitly Scalable
Blockchain Technology
Turing-Complete
State-Channels

▄████▄▄    ▄
██             ████████████▀
████▄         █████████████▀
▀████████▄▄   █████████████
▄▄█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
  ▀██████████████████████
   █████████████████████
    ▀█████████████████▀
      ▄█████████████▀
▄▄███████████████▀
   ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
.TWITTER.
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
TELEGRAM

▄██▄
     ▄      ▐████   ▄▄
   █████     ██████████
    █████████████████▀
 ▄████████████▀████▌
██████████     ▀████     
 ▀▀   █████     ██████████
      ▀████▌▄████████████▀
    ▄▄▄███████████████▌
   ██████████▀    ▐████
    ▀▀▀  ████▌     ▀▀▀
         ▀███▀
.SLACK.
██████████████████████████████████████████████████
REDDIT
f
.FACEBOOK.
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
LINKEDIN

kuroman

Activity: 588
Merit: 501

View Profile
May 11, 2014, 06:17:36 PM

Sandisk announces 4TB SSD, hopes for 8TB next year.

"We see reaching the 4TB mark as really just the beginning and expect to continue doubling the capacity every year or two, far outpacing the growth for traditional HDDs," Manuel Martull, SanDisk's product & solutions marketing director, stated in an email reply to Computerworld.

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9248070/SanDisk_announces_4TB_SSD_hopes_for_8TB_next_year

I saw this a couple of weeks ago, which good news, but HDD will stay here for years to come
SSD Prices are rediculously expensive
SSD life cycle is way shorter than HDD (in perfect condition that is, this can swing rapidly toward SSD in some use conditions) and also these high density SDDs with lower costs have by default a lower endurance and life cycle
dogechode

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 13, 2014, 04:56:27 PM

To the poster who asked about reliability, it depends on brand and model. When I got started with SSDs I did some research and Crucial was about the most reliably so I bought Crucial M4s. I have had great results with those. I am also currently using a Kingston 60gb drive in one of my mining rigs and have not had any issues with it.

I have some Crucial M4s that I've had and used pretty much daily for regular use, gaming, etc for 2+ years no with no issues.
doubledog

Activity: 13
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 14, 2014, 07:38:27 AM

well the price make me stay on hdd~
Globb0
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2053

Free spirit

View Profile
May 14, 2014, 07:42:09 AM

I got one to try and speed up huntercoin   Grin

I have read SSD wear out after a certain amount of read/writes  is that true?

Kluge
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015

View Profile
May 14, 2014, 08:22:25 AM

Small ones are pretty cheap these days.  NewEgg has 120GB for as cheap as $60 although I would spend a little more and get a better drive.  Can't beat a Corsair M500 or Samsung 840 evo for ~$80 http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd-recommendation-benchmark,3269-2.html .
Wow. Fuck Moore and his pessimistic law. $67 on Amazon with 2-day Prime shipping, now. Maybe time to upgrade from now-archaic 60GB Agility2 which has me staring at the WinDirStat screen every freakin' week (frequently-cleaned 17.5GB Windows folder doesn't help).
bitmaster111

Activity: 126

View Profile WWW
May 14, 2014, 10:33:43 AM

Wow 4TB SSD  Smiley
I just have 256GB SSD  Smiley
I hope next year i can buy thats SSD

i have 512 GB SSD
now its target to me i will sure get this for next !
i will sure store my 50's movies in it
yntro

Activity: 154

View Profile
May 14, 2014, 12:06:14 PM

Sandisk announces 4TB SSD, hopes for 8TB next year.

"We see reaching the 4TB mark as really just the beginning and expect to continue doubling the capacity every year or two, far outpacing the growth for traditional HDDs," Manuel Martull, SanDisk's product & solutions marketing director, stated in an email reply to Computerworld.

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9248070/SanDisk_announces_4TB_SSD_hopes_for_8TB_next_year

SSD prices are still too high to abandon HDD.

yeah .. not everyone can affords it .. nevertheless if i had the money money I would buy it :/

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
PRIMEDICE
The Premier Bitcoin Gambling Experience @PrimeDice
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
pekv2

Activity: 770
Merit: 502

View Profile
May 14, 2014, 12:12:54 PM

Maybe time to upgrade from now-archaic 60GB Agility2 which has me staring at the WinDirStat screen every freakin' week (frequently-cleaned 17.5GB Windows folder doesn't help).

Still a good ssd, use it on the side if/when you get a new ssd, use the agility for cryptocurrency blocks.
Plenty of room left on my Vertex2 with BTC and LTC blocks.

dogechode

Activity: 182

View Profile
May 14, 2014, 01:10:08 PM

I got one to try and speed up huntercoin   Grin

I have read SSD wear out after a certain amount of read/writes  is that true?

Yeah something like that but it is is a fairly high number. Everything has a shelf life - HDDs do too. And they have moving parts that can break unexpectedly or from minor trauma.
Globb0
Legendary

Free spirit

View Profile
May 14, 2014, 01:33:56 PM

So does that mean defrag is a bad idea for this type of drive ?

*edit* I suppose it was about minimising head movement so maybe its totaly irrelavent?*/edit*

DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
May 14, 2014, 02:33:31 PM

Defrag is completely pointless for an SSD and may actually degrade performance.
pekv2

Activity: 770
Merit: 502

View Profile
May 14, 2014, 03:26:41 PM

Defrag is completely pointless for an SSD and may actually degrade performance.

But their is an optimization you may use once in a great while.

This is an option under MyDefrag called flash memory disk.

Flash memory disks
    Defragment and consolidate free space on the selected disk(s). This script is specially designed for Flash and SSD disks. It will defragment all the fragmented files and make the free space as large as possible by moving all files to the beginning of the disk.

Many people think that flash disks do not benefit from defragmentation and optimization because bandwidth and access time are the same for the entire disk, unlike mechanical harddisks which are faster at the beginning than the end. But fragmented files need extra processing time inside Windows, not noticeable on mechanical harddisks but very significant on fast flash memory disks. Even more important is free space optimization. Flash memory is written in large blocks, and if free space is fragmented then Windows has to (read and) write much more data than the size of the file. This takes time, which translates into lower speed.

Flash memory has a limited number of erase-write cycles. The script is specially designed to move as little data as possible, but still uses up some of those cycles. My advise is to use some discretion and not run this script every day, but only incidentally, for example once per month.
http://www.mydefrag.com/Manual-UsingMyDefrag.html

I use it once in a great while in safemode.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
May 14, 2014, 03:45:47 PM
Last edit: May 14, 2014, 06:49:17 PM by DeathAndTaxes

This is an option under MyDefrag called flash memory disk.

Yeah I am pretty sure that is all technological voodoo.  The controller is already performing various optimizations which are outside the scope of the OS.  The OS believes it has control of the "disk" and it is writing or reading from a specific logical sector that maps to a set location on the disk however that isn't the case with SSDs.  It is just an illusion is maintained to provide backwards compatibility.  The controller is just using those logical sectors provided by the OS as lookup values and then writing data based on internal requirements to maximize performance and endurance.  A single write from the OS will be written across multiple flash chips.  The physical location may be changed by the controller and it simply updates the internal lookup table.  So the OS just sees write to a sector, read from the sector, erase the sector but the controller is performing a lot of internal state recording to maintain that illusion that these sectors even exist.  

All this is done to maintain backwards compatibility with ATA standard but it does mean that where the OS believes the data is stored has been reduced to little more than a lookup value.  If SSD has similar properties to HDD then it probably wouldn't matter however SSD are radically different than the HDD they "pretend" to be.  NAND flash can't be overwritten, NAND flash must be erased and has a limited number of erase cycles, NAND flash can't be accessed at the cell level, instead an entire page needs to be read and written in one operation.  This means that behind the scenes what is happening on disk is very different than what is being indicated to the OS

I doubt limited use of mydefrag will hurt but it is dubious that it can provide any real world benefit.  The claim isn't exactly false but it is misleading.  Yes is the data is fragmented across multiple OS sectors and it might mean a few more IO requests at the sector level and possibly an additional CRC check or two but we are talking about a negligible performance overhead.  All the lower level "details" are simply lies from the SSD anyways and the software has no way to control the actual contents of the flash pages.

On edit: here is an article with similar conclusions (although they didn't test this particular software):
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2047513/fragging-wonderful-the-truth-about-defragging-your-ssd.html
makebitcoin

Activity: 308

View Profile
May 14, 2014, 03:54:30 PM

Everything will move into the cloud over time. Everything will be online.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
May 14, 2014, 04:11:50 PM

Still a good ssd, use it on the side if/when you get a new ssd, use the agility for cryptocurrency blocks.

This.  SSDs and blockchain(s) are a good match.
Globb0
Legendary

Free spirit

View Profile
May 14, 2014, 04:51:22 PM

Thanks for the tips

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: