Bitcoin Forum
June 26, 2024, 11:46:11 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Say "Good Bye" to HDD.  (Read 5867 times)
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
May 14, 2014, 06:47:06 PM

Still a good ssd, use it on the side if/when you get a new ssd, use the agility for cryptocurrency blocks.

This.  SSDs and blockchain(s) are a good match.
But it will take a few more years before SSDs reach the needed prices. I have a smaller SSD, but for backup I plan to buy a 1TB HDD which costs much less than a 1TB SSD.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
btcton
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1007

View Profile
May 15, 2014, 12:09:54 AM

I always prefer to go double. The SSD for OS and programs as well as commonly played games. The HDD for the documents.

The signature campaign posters adding useless redundant fluff to their posts to reach their minimum word count are lowering my IQ.
dzigi

Activity: 76
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 15, 2014, 12:27:04 AM

I always prefer to go double. The SSD for OS and programs as well as commonly played games. The HDD for the documents.

The best way to go about it. If you do it like this, cheap 128 GB SSD is all you need.

BTW, getting my crucial m4 SSD was the best improvement in computer performance I felt since I replaced my celeron 1.8 with athlon 64 3200+. Cheesy
BurtW
Legendary

Activity: 2646
Merit: 1136

All paid signature campaigns should be banned.

View Profile WWW
May 15, 2014, 02:03:22 AM

D&T is correct, no need to defrag an SSD.  It only adds wear for basically no gain.

I am working on the next gen HDD.  HDD are looking more and more like SSD due to the fact that we can no longer randomly write to the surface of the drive - because the tracks are overlapped.  So now we have to write your data somewhere else and then write it to the shingled region when we get a chance.  In a lot of ways just like a flash page must be totally erased before it can be resued a shingled region on an HDD must be totally rewritten in order to put your data "where it is suposed to be"

This is how it will play out.  SSD will take over where HDD used to be (<10 TB ish), HDD will move into where tape used to be (100 TB ish) and tape will be used for offline storage or maybe finally go away but don't count on that.

Then eventually new technology (GBs of non volatile DRAM read and write speed memory, without wear issues, right in the SOC with the CPU) will push "up" the SSD pushing "up" the HDD maybe finally killing tape (but don't count on it).

HDDs are not going away for a long time (see tape and the predictions of its death over and over again).

Our family was terrorized by Homeland Security.  Read all about it here:  http://www.jmwagner.com/ and http://www.burtw.com/  Any donations to help us recover from the $300,000 in legal fees and forced donations to the Federal Asset Forfeiture slush fund are greatly appreciated!
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
May 15, 2014, 02:12:28 AM

HDDs are not going away for a long time (see tape and the predictions of its death over and over again).

Well tape is finally (20 years after the first predictions) dying.  LTO gave it an extra couple years but it is in sold multiyear decline now

Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
May 15, 2014, 05:03:45 AM

The best way to go about it. If you do it like this, cheap 128 GB SSD is all you need.

BTW, getting my crucial m4 SSD was the best improvement in computer performance I felt since I replaced my celeron 1.8 with athlon 64 3200+. Cheesy
Well for some people 128 GB is not enough even for the drive with the OS. This is what kept me from not buying a SSD yet.

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
Singlebyte (OP)

Activity: 854
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 15, 2014, 08:08:59 AM

Well for some people 128 GB is not enough even for the drive with the OS. This is what kept me from not buying a SSD yet.

128GB is plenty if you are using it "only" for the (a) OS.  If you install multiple OS on the SSD then you could potentially fill it up.   I have a 240gb installed.  Although I intended to use it only for the OS is has slowly acquired other files/programs.  I have a sloppy tendency to always download files to the desktop and sometimes when installing new programs I mistakenly install them to the SSD. 
Kluge
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015

View Profile
May 15, 2014, 08:31:25 AM
Last edit: May 15, 2014, 02:16:20 PM by Kluge

128GB is plenty if you are using it "only" for the (a) OS.  If you install multiple OS on the SSD then you could potentially fill it up.   I have a 240gb installed.  Although I intended to use it only for the OS is has slowly acquired other files/programs.  I have a sloppy tendency to always download files to the desktop and sometimes when installing new programs I mistakenly install them to the SSD. 
One of the unpleasant things about Windows... maybe someone will correct me here (please, please, please!), but I've never found a way to have stuff which'd automatically save to C:/ automatically go to, say, O:/ - you know, stuff which heads to appdata or "My Documents" and other such stuff in "Users." -On the Windows side, that is. Obviously, I tell Core (that always makes me think I'm at some fitness forum...) to use O:/ - but I'm not going to look up every single program to see if there's possibly (unlikely) a way to have saved data moved over to O:/

That's why I have to constantly open WinDirStat for my SSD (if I haven't made it clear by now -- it's a really slick program).  There's just so much junk on my copy of Windows, now... but I can't just wipe it anymore without all sorts of issues. All my software's on the O:/ HDD, but all the "vital components" are on the C:/ - which I can't store the blockchain or anything other than the enormous mass of DLLs and Doze files on... so if I wipe it, I lose all those referenced DLLs and similar subcomponent files. You know - and these subcomponents... maybe a piece of software references 10MB worth of data on C:/, so it's ridiculous to have that so "importance-biased."

It's an unpleasant situation. Even if I upgrade my hard drive, I have AT LEAST 200 unique pieces of software throughout my Medusa-like hard drive compound (ha - I don't even think they'd all fit in most PC cases), so I'd be looking at literally days or maybe even weeks to bring them all back to being usable. It's for a similar reason I'm not particularly fond of Steam.... it's difficult to manipulate files -- yeah, I can just redownload the file from them, but on my 3G Sprint connection, it took me a week just to download Empire:Total War a couple weeks ago. I see, you know, some of the Core devs saying stuff like "oh, well the blockchain is only as big as Diablo 3" - but I obviously rely on my primary means of income and expenditure a Hell of a lot more than Diablo 3, so it's kind of important that it's not as cumbersome.

... There are so many things I hate about Windows.... .... maybe time to switch and become one of those assholes who tells everyone else they're the devil if they don't, too.
Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
May 15, 2014, 12:18:28 PM

Well for me it is not enough. Unless you plan to install every program on the second drive (HDD). Which I don't like doing as some things sometimes don't work correctly.

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
oda.krell
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1007

View Profile
May 15, 2014, 12:35:21 PM

One of the unpleasant thing about Windows... maybe someone will correct me here (please, please, please!), but I've never found a way to have stuff which'd automatically save to C:/ automatically go to, say, O:/ - you know, stuff which heads to appdata or "My Documents" and other such stuff in "Users." -On the Windows side, that is. Obviously, I tell Core (that always makes me think I'm at some fitness forum...) to use O:/ - but I'm not going to look up every single program to see if there's possibly (unlikely) a way to have saved data moved over to O:/

That's why I have to constantly open WinDirStat for my SSD (if I haven't made it clear by now -- it's a really slick program).  There's just so much junk on my copy of Windows, now... but I can't just wipe it anymore without all sorts of issues. All my software's on the O:/ HDD, but all the "vital components" are on the C:/ - which I can't store the blockchain or anything other than the enormous mass of DLLs and Doze files on... so if I wipe it, I lose all those referenced DLLs and similar subcomponent files. You know - and these subcomponents... maybe a piece of software references 10MB worth of data on C:/, so it's ridiculous to have that so "importance-biased."

It's an unpleasant situation. Even if I upgrade my hard drive, I have AT LEAST 200 unique pieces of software throughout my Medusa-like hard drive compound (ha - I don't even think they'd all fit in most PC cases), so I'd be looking at literally days or maybe even weeks to bring them all back to being usable. It's for a similar reason I'm not particularly fond of Steam.... it's difficult to manipulate files -- yeah, I can just redownload the file from them, but on my 3G Sprint connection, it took me a week just to download Empire:Total War a couple weeks ago. I see, you know, some of the Core devs saying stuff like "oh, well the blockchain is only as big as Diablo 3" - but I obviously rely on my primary means of income and expenditure a Hell of a lot more than Bitcoin.

... There are so many things I hate about Windows.... .... maybe time to switch and become one of those assholes who tells everyone else they're the devil if they don't, too.

The world explained, in game (size) analogies.

I like it.

Not sure which Bitcoin wallet you should use? Get Electrum!
Electrum is an open-source lightweight client: fast, user friendly, and 100% secure.
Download the source or executables for Windows/OSX/Linux/Android from, and only from, the official Electrum homepage.
dogechode

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 15, 2014, 01:43:04 PM

Everything will move into the cloud over time. Everything will be online.

No way dude people are never going to be fully comfortable having their critical and/or personal data be on the cloud.
danzek

Activity: 69

View Profile
May 15, 2014, 02:09:14 PM

Good Bye HDD. Grin
olliec420

Activity: 198
Merit: 102

View Profile
May 15, 2014, 05:13:26 PM

Well tape is finally (20 years after the first predictions) dying.  LTO gave it an extra couple years but it is in sold multiyear decline now

Not true sir...

http://www.gizmag.com/sony-185-tb-magnetic-tape-storage/31910/
BurtW
Legendary

Activity: 2646
Merit: 1136

All paid signature campaigns should be banned.

View Profile WWW
May 15, 2014, 10:54:18 PM

Good Bye HDD. Grin
Hellow Kitty.

Our family was terrorized by Homeland Security.  Read all about it here:  http://www.jmwagner.com/ and http://www.burtw.com/  Any donations to help us recover from the $300,000 in legal fees and forced donations to the Federal Asset Forfeiture slush fund are greatly appreciated!
airloom

Activity: 18
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 16, 2014, 04:27:51 AM

this is awesome technology is so fast phasing.
5UB

Activity: 12

View Profile
May 16, 2014, 09:49:45 AM

It is brilliant how small, fast and higher capacity these are becoming. I am liking the M.2 drives too which have a higher bandwidth through PCI-E.
luckybitcoin777

Activity: 90

View Profile
May 16, 2014, 09:58:18 AM

SSD > HDD
coolcool

Activity: 37

View Profile
May 16, 2014, 09:59:04 AM

Yes we have to Say "Good Bye" to HDD.
MegaTech

Activity: 70

View Profile
August 25, 2014, 12:26:51 AM

I don't have money to buy 4TB HDD so for me having 256GB SSD would be elusive goal

ssaillenss

Activity: 84

View Profile
August 25, 2014, 07:48:13 AM

in my country you can find SSD 320Gb 50-60$ is not high price

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: