Bitcoin Forum
June 14, 2024, 11:08:16 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What are the nodes the wallet is connecting?  (Read 812 times)
jukka (OP)

Activity: 259
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 03, 2014, 07:17:10 PM

Could somebody explain for a newbie like me what actually are the nodes my wallets are connecting? Are all other wallets also nodes or are there some special servers somewhere or how does this actually work?
OnkelPaul
Legendary

Activity: 1039
Merit: 1004

View Profile
May 03, 2014, 07:21:14 PM

Traditionally, each bitcoin user would run a node (bitcoin-qt has both node and wallet functionality).
Newer wallets (Armory, Electrum etc.) work without storing a full copy of the blockchain, and thus are not nodes of the bitcoin network.

Onkel Paul

jukka (OP)

View Profile
May 03, 2014, 07:36:00 PM
Last edit: May 04, 2014, 01:11:59 PM by jukka

What about these other coins like litecoin. When I am running litecoin-qt am I also a "node"? What are nodes you have to put to your config files? Some other wallets?
jukka (OP)

View Profile
May 04, 2014, 01:14:37 PM

Can somebody else help me?
DubFX

Activity: 434

View Profile
May 04, 2014, 01:16:18 PM

What about these other coins like litecoin. When I am running litecoin-qt am I also a "node"? What are nodes you have to put to your config files? Some other wallets?
If your wallet is downloading whole blockchain then yes you are.
jukka (OP)

View Profile
May 04, 2014, 01:28:18 PM

Ok, and the nodes which you have to put in your config files? What are those?
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
May 04, 2014, 01:41:38 PM

they are used to make you syncing faster
jukka (OP)

View Profile
May 04, 2014, 02:10:21 PM

Ok, are those also some kind of wallets, or some other servers?
DubFX

Activity: 434

View Profile
May 04, 2014, 02:16:52 PM

Well this answer is kind of simplified but have you ever downloaded an torrent? If yes so then these nodes are something like seeders of the blockchain.
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
May 04, 2014, 03:38:41 PM

they are like you, other pc connected to create a decentralized network, p2p
jasemoney
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1008

Forget-about-it

View Profile
May 04, 2014, 05:25:01 PM

nodes are other people running the wallet who also have the complete blockchain..  they broadcast and process it, if you need to download a chain they are the ones providing it.  if you have the whole chain you are sending out your blocks to catch up other people and speaking to the other nodes to confirm you are on the same block Smiley  (sorry low tech post)

$MAID & $BTC other than that some short hodls and some long held garbage.
aurtur215

Activity: 49
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 04, 2014, 07:31:01 PM

I'm still a bit confused by nodes myself
zvs
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1000

https://web.archive.org/web/*/nogleg.com

View Profile WWW
May 04, 2014, 08:02:13 PM

here's the relevant snippet from wiki -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Node_(networking), pretty much sums it up i suppose:

Distributed system nodes
If the network in question is a distributed system, the nodes are clients, servers or peers. A peer may sometimes serve as client, sometimes server. In a peer-to-peer or overlay network, nodes that actively route data for the other networked devices as well as themselves are called supernodes.

Distributed systems may sometimes use virtual nodes so that the system is not oblivious to the heterogeneity of the nodes. This issue is addressed with special algorithms, like consistent hashing, as it is the case in Amazon's.

aurtur215

Activity: 49
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 04, 2014, 08:32:54 PM

Thanks, that makes it much clearer
jukka (OP)

View Profile
May 05, 2014, 12:45:02 PM

here's the relevant snippet from wiki -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Node_(networking), pretty much sums it up i suppose:

Distributed system nodes
If the network in question is a distributed system, the nodes are clients, servers or peers. A peer may sometimes serve as client, sometimes server. In a peer-to-peer or overlay network, nodes that actively route data for the other networked devices as well as themselves are called supernodes.

Distributed systems may sometimes use virtual nodes so that the system is not oblivious to the heterogeneity of the nodes. This issue is addressed with special algorithms, like consistent hashing, as it is the case in Amazon's.

Ok, and are the nodes in the config-files wallets, which are open all the time?
OnkelPaul
Legendary

Activity: 1039
Merit: 1004

View Profile
May 05, 2014, 01:41:21 PM

Most likely they are bitcoind instances on servers that hold no wallets themselves but maintain the blockchain. Some might be there just to support the network, others are maybe being used through their RPC service by people who use them to interface to the bitcoin network (online wallet services, gambling or other bitcoin-processing sites etc.).

Onkel Paul

jukka (OP)

View Profile
May 05, 2014, 06:55:17 PM

Most likely they are bitcoind instances on servers that hold no wallets themselves but maintain the blockchain. Some might be there just to support the network, others are maybe being used through their RPC service by people who use them to interface to the bitcoin network (online wallet services, gambling or other bitcoin-processing sites etc.).

Onkel Paul

Ok, so there are also other nodes than wallets. Thanks!
giantkin

Activity: 1176
Merit: 501

View Profile
May 06, 2014, 03:36:18 AM

I didnt know some of that info myself.

Thanks for the ...more informed responses!

g

http://choicehost.biz  Domains and DIY -hosting   I save $5 or so, for each domain a year.  (Compared to other Domain Registrars)
Cleveland Evans

Activity: 62
Merit: 10

FBC is better

View Profile
May 06, 2014, 04:32:53 AM

Could somebody explain for a newbie like me what actually are the nodes my wallets are connecting? Are all other wallets also nodes or are there some special servers somewhere or how does this actually work?

Wallet node is only a help wallet update module.

If your wallet can update properly, don't have to add the purse node

jukka (OP)

View Profile
May 07, 2014, 08:12:18 AM

Thanks for all who have helped me so far! But I still have some more questions Smiley

Why some wallets need a huge amount of nodes to be listed and for some wallets you don't even need a config file?
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: