Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 08:44:22 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Web Hosting Questions  (Read 587 times)
snarlpill (OP)

Activity: 910
Merit: 530

$5 24k Gold FREE 4 sign-up! Mene.com/invite/h5ZRRP

View Profile WWW
May 04, 2014, 05:59:38 AM

Hey guys, I've been fooling around with writing HTML and such and creating websites. After creating a page, what is my next step as far as web hosting, security, getting my page online? What are some good beginning rates for say having your page up for a month? Can you choose to fund through ads or self fund? Any and all relevant responses are appreciated.

Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ahmedjadoon
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 04, 2014, 07:27:59 AM

Don't expect ad revenue this early.You have to spend from your pocket on hosting and I recommend you to check around for Cheap Promotional offer from established companies.
monbux
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1029

View Profile WWW
May 29, 2014, 09:44:40 PM

I would recommend hosting your website on http://www.dreamhost.com/ and maybe purchasing protection from http://www.cloudflare.com/plans.
Best of wishes - T
pedrog
Legendary

Activity: 2786
Merit: 1031

View Profile
May 29, 2014, 10:00:39 PM

Check this topic: n00b web publishing questions - help appreciated!

snarlpill (OP)

View Profile WWW
May 29, 2014, 10:22:15 PM

Lol, you gave me a link to the other topic I had started for help. I did end up getting everything (for the most part) figured out, and learning more and more along the way. Thanks for your help in both threads.

pedrog
Legendary

Activity: 2786
Merit: 1031

View Profile
May 29, 2014, 11:38:40 PM

Lol, you gave me a link to the other topic I had started for help. I did end up getting everything (for the most part) figured out, and learning more and more along the way. Thanks for your help in both threads.

Ops, sorry, didn't saw that...

Now are you asking about how to monetize your website?

PrivacyIsImportant

Activity: 50
Merit: 24

View Profile
May 30, 2014, 12:14:32 AM

I would recommend buying a cheap VPS, something like 10-30$ per year. Very flexible solution for the beginner
You can check for them here http://lowendbox.com/
And you can acquire a free cool-looking domain here: http://freedns.afraid.org/ just go to the registry, add your subdomain on any public domain and point it to your VPS.
rhino34567

Activity: 288
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 30, 2014, 01:39:03 AM

I would recommend buying a cheap VPS, something like 10-30$ per year. Very flexible solution for the beginner
You can check for them here http://lowendbox.com/
And you can acquire a free cool-looking domain here: http://freedns.afraid.org/ just go to the registry, add your subdomain on any public domain and point it to your VPS.
I wouldn't recommend a VPS for starting out unless you need fast scalability. If you're not going for an extremely rapid growth rate, stay with shared hosting. It will save you the need for panel licenses and setting everything up yourself.

tooil

Activity: 181
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 30, 2014, 02:37:25 AM

Host gator has cheap hosting. Less than 5 dollars per month.

If your page can't generate 5+ dollars per month, then consider another line of work.
snarlpill (OP)

View Profile WWW
May 30, 2014, 08:55:38 PM

I wouldn't recommend a VPS for starting out unless you need fast scalability. If you're not going for an extremely rapid growth rate, stay with shared hosting. It will save you the need for panel licenses and setting everything up yourself.

Yeah, a VPS is definitely something I will be looking into in the near future, but as for now I'm glad I didn't, because everything was confusing enough as it was with what I had to set-up, having had no prior experience.

Host gator has cheap hosting. Less than 5 dollars per month.

If your page can't generate 5+ dollars per month, then consider another line of work.

I ended up going with GoDaddy. They might not have the best rates out there, but I had access to a great variety of promo codes. With one of these codes I was able to get my domain, private registration, and web hosting for a year for under $20. If anyone reading this is interested in these promo codes, PM me. I would be happy to share.

Now are you asking about how to monetize your website?

I've been learning a bit about monetizing a little bit each day at a time. I've been working on it, and already struck up 2 banner deals so far. Nothing crazy though. I'm waiting for approval on one of the big name advertising programs. If you have some free advice/suggestions, I'd be happy to hear them.

sameev29

Activity: 238

View Profile
May 31, 2014, 12:21:16 AM

If its just a single page or 2-3 pages you could try a free host.I know they are bad but you could give them a try and experience the whole hosting stuff and see how it goes.
+n+(?_?)+n+

Activity: 68
Merit: 10

+ + + + + + + + + + + +

View Profile
May 31, 2014, 12:33:04 AM

Godaddy sucks, they are not good for hosting and for domains. Their control panel is very primitive. You will have a hard time doing backup or importing database they don't use cpanel. Your website will be very slow. Try hosterbox they also accept bitcoin.

Smoke up and chill down.
alistar

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 31, 2014, 12:33:16 AM

Is there any webhosting that accepts bitcoin?
lilfiend

Activity: 96
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 31, 2014, 01:48:21 AM

Digitalocean and OVH's vps's/kimsufi dedicated servers are all very good imo. None take bitcoin though currently as far as I know...

[Insert E-peen here]
snarlpill (OP)

View Profile WWW
May 31, 2014, 03:17:37 AM

You could start your search for an answer with this thread and the user ServSafe. I know he's been trying to sell domain names for BTC at least.

Godaddy sucks, they are not good for hosting and for domains. Their control panel is very primitive. You will have a hard time doing backup or importing database they don't use cpanel. Your website will be very slow. Try hosterbox they also accept bitcoin.

That couldn't be further from the truth from everything I've seen/experienced so far...  I'm using cPanel with Linux for my domain, they have a Massive amount of free applications, including one for making a simple machines forum on my site. Sound familiar? Look up to the top of this page. (Not saying this forum is hot shit or anything, lol).
I can have several MySQL accounts and up to 50 or 100 databases total, I believe. But just the total amount of free programs/apps available, with options beyond belief is more than I had hoped for. Pages load Fast, I'm pretty sure I have unlimited bandwidth for my site too.

And I'm definitely not pumping GoDaddy or anything like that. But from my first experience with web hosting they definitely have my growing site covered.

If its just a single page or 2-3 pages you could try a free host.I know they are bad but you could give them a try and experience the whole hosting stuff and see how it goes.

Thanks for the advice, although I have gotten it taken care of. Free hosting on the other hand...
I don't know. From everything I've seen and heard, the free cost just isn't worth the hassle. Not having 100% control over my site, all of the hidden embedded ads and links they try to hide, slow loading times- just doesn't seem worth it to me when you can get the whole shebang for fairly cheap anyways.

sameev29

Activity: 238

View Profile
May 31, 2014, 03:33:22 PM

You could start your search for an answer with this thread and the user ServSafe. I know he's been trying to sell domain names for BTC at least.

That couldn't be further from the truth from everything I've seen/experienced so far...  I'm using cPanel with Linux for my domain, they have a Massive amount of free applications, including one for making a simple machines forum on my site. Sound familiar? Look up to the top of this page. (Not saying this forum is hot shit or anything, lol).
I can have several MySQL accounts and up to 50 or 100 databases total, I believe. But just the total amount of free programs/apps available, with options beyond belief is more than I had hoped for. Pages load Fast, I'm pretty sure I have unlimited bandwidth for my site too.

And I'm definitely not pumping GoDaddy or anything like that. But from my first experience with web hosting they definitely have my growing site covered.

Thanks for the advice, although I have gotten it taken care of. Free hosting on the other hand...
I don't know. From everything I've seen and heard, the free cost just isn't worth the hassle. Not having 100% control over my site, all of the hidden embedded ads and links they try to hide, slow loading times- just doesn't seem worth it to me when you can get the whole shebang for fairly cheap anyways.

I know.It's just to try out and make an entrance in the web hosting world.If your website is serious it needs a good paid host obviously.

Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
May 31, 2014, 03:51:20 PM

When it comes to finding a GOOD web host, ignore the price and look at the way support staff responds, I've learned this the hard way, if you go with a cheap webhost and you start making tickets ( which you will inevitably have to at some point ) and the support staff don't read them properly and just start giving you standard replies, dump them immediately.

I had to deal with shit for several weeks once and it turned out that it was just them being a shitty company, part of the problem was that they wouldn't even read my messages and started arguing with me all the time, I ditched them, moved to a new one and everything has been running great since.

You can normally tell a good webhosting company from their support staff and how the company communicates, actually, I think that applies to most companies these days.
btcton
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1007

View Profile
May 31, 2014, 04:38:04 PM

When it comes to finding a GOOD web host, ignore the price and look at the way support staff responds, I've learned this the hard way, if you go with a cheap webhost and you start making tickets ( which you will inevitably have to at some point ) and the support staff don't read them properly and just start giving you standard replies, dump them immediately.

I had to deal with shit for several weeks once and it turned out that it was just them being a shitty company, part of the problem was that they wouldn't even read my messages and started arguing with me all the time, I ditched them, moved to a new one and everything has been running great since.

You can normally tell a good webhosting company from their support staff and how the company communicates, actually, I think that applies to most companies these days.
This is arguably the most important thin too look for in a webhost. It feels great when support answers to your requests in less than 20 minutes. I also think that there is no need for formalities unless you are an enterprise host. For example, I always feel welcome when a reply has a smile in it. It conveys the attitude of the support team in a better way. But hey, that's just me.

The signature campaign posters adding useless redundant fluff to their posts to reach their minimum word count are lowering my IQ.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: