Question: How do you pronounce uBTC?
u b t c
mu b t c
micro b t c
microbit
microbitcoin

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Pronunciation  (Read 736 times)
Mabsark (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 826
Merit: 1004

View Profile
May 04, 2014, 04:00:48 PM

How do you pronounce uBTC?
elavenil

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 04, 2014, 04:07:12 PM

It is pronounced as microbitcoin .
mBTC is pronounced as    millibitcoin       

franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4228
Merit: 4501

View Profile
May 04, 2014, 04:13:54 PM

for your personal use its pronounced: you bee tee see
or microbitcoin
but for the community and future understanding of bitcoin

its pronounced WTF

if you have not read yet, the consensus is showing that
mBTC (0.00010000)
uBTC (0.00001000)

are top down measurements. which are not future proof and thus only temporary and will cause confusion later. in the NEAR future the consensus shows we we move to measurements of 100satoshi's and require a bottom up measuring system. where calling
10 allotments of 100sat's a microbitcoin will seem strange compared to calling it 10bits or 1000ksat.

but don't worry 100,000,000 satoshi's (1million bits) will still remain as the name bitcoin.

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
Mabsark (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 04, 2014, 04:14:48 PM

Of course it is officillay microbitcoin. I'm asking how you would actually say it in a conversation.
Mabsark (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 04, 2014, 04:18:54 PM

its pronounced WTF

mBTC (0.00010000)
uBTC (0.00001000)

are top down measurements. which are not future proof and thus only temporary and will cause confusion later.

Only ignorant Americans think that the SI units are not future proof.
fryarminer

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 04, 2014, 04:20:01 PM

"Zero point zero zero zero zero one bitcoin."
franky1
Legendary

View Profile
May 04, 2014, 04:21:00 PM

its pronounced WTF

mBTC (0.00010000)
uBTC (0.00001000)

are top down measurements. which are not future proof and thus only temporary and will cause confusion later.

ubtc mbtc.. milli and micro are terms of mathematicians and science.. you need to remember that the 'common man' needs things simplified and made comparable to other things they use in life

Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
Mabsark (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 04, 2014, 04:39:30 PM

its pronounced WTF

mBTC (0.00010000)
uBTC (0.00001000)

ubtc mbtc.. milli and micro are terms of mathematicians and science.. you need to remember that the 'common man' needs things simplified and made comparable to other things they use in life

The common person outside the US uses the milli prefix everyday. They start to learn this in infant school when they learn how to use a ruler to measure things.

Examples:

A regular sized can of Coke is 330 ml
A small bottle of Coke is 500ml
Pasta'n'Sauce uses 280ml of water and 120 ml of milk.
Carpenters use millimetres to measure things.
Medicines quite often contain micrograms of active ingredients.
elavenil

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 04, 2014, 04:43:43 PM

Of course it is officillay microbitcoin. I'm asking how you would actually say it in a conversation.

Youbitcoin. Grin

franky1
Legendary

View Profile
May 04, 2014, 05:17:00 PM

The common person outside the US uses the milli prefix everyday. They start to learn this in infant school when they learn how to use a ruler to measure things.

Examples:

im outside of the US (im british)
and i have never heard a kid or adult say "i want 330mililitres of coke please"
and i have never heard a kid or adult say "i will use 120ml of milk for my pasta"

here is what common man says
"i want a can of coke"
"i will use a half a cup of milk to mix with my pasta"
carpenters do not say "2inch by 4 inch" or "500millimetres by 1000millimetres".. they say 2 by 4

the carpenter example you used is borderline "mathematics" and medicines is definitely "science"

like i said COMMON man does not talk maths or science. they prefer easier terms/laymans terms/slang and they definitely prefer bottom up measurements, rather then top down.

EG gold is not measured in fractions of tonne denominations working downwards. gold has smaller denominations such as grams and ounces and works its way upwards

LMGTFY

Activity: 644
Merit: 502

View Profile
May 04, 2014, 05:38:28 PM

im outsid of the US (im british)
and i have never heard a kid or adult say "i will use 120ml of milk for my pasta"

"i want a can of coke"
"i will use a cup of milk to mix with my pasta"
carpenters do not say "2inch by 4 inch" or "500millimetres by 1000millimetres".. they say 2 by 4

like i said COMMON man

Hmmm. I'm also in the UK, and in my experience people tend to say "500 mils" where I'd maybe expect them to say "half a litre". A can of Coke is straightforward (there's usually only one thing "can" can mean); bottles less so - is it a 500ml bottle, a 1 litre or a 2 litre bottle? I guess that's why people specify the volume. When it's something like wine we never specify the volume - a bottle is a bottle (albeit one that contains 750ml).

With carpentry, I was taught to measure in millimetres and it's metric when I buy stuff at B&Q but I take your point about 2x4s - it's become genericised, the actual measurements are metric but we continue to use the old naming convention,

You're right that people don't tend to talk about using 120ml of milk, but that's what most recipes use - we just don't tend to talk about our kitchen adventures that much! "Cups" tends to be used when people are following US or older British recipes. (I find "cups" a PITA because all my mugs/cups are different sizes, and I'm a bad enough cook at the best of times without allowing imprecise volume to interfere with my culinary expertise. I usually google the metric equivalent when faced with cups).

That said, there's a strong tendency in the UK to resist metric - beer is still sold in pints (instead of the mighty 600ml "pints" our cousins down under get to enjoy) and speed limits are still set in MPH instead of KM/H. And over the past few years it's become increasingly hard to find litres of milk in supermarkets. Silly supermarkets - pints are for beer Wink (Ideally 600ml pints...)

This space intentionally left blank.
fryarminer

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 04, 2014, 05:42:47 PM

Examples:

im outside of the US (im british)

"i want a can of coke"
"i will use a half a cup of milk to mix with my pasta"

the carpenter example you used is borderline "mathematics" and medicines is definitely "science"

like i said COMMON man does not talk maths or science. they prefer easier terms/laymans terms/slang and they definitely prefer bottom up measurements, rather then top down.

EG gold is not measured in fractions of tonne denominations working downwards. gold has smaller denominations such as grams and ounces and works its way upwards

Thank you for saying what I was going to say!

I was raised in Australia, and growing up we never measured ourselves in millimeters, but feet. We didn't weigh ourselves in grams but in lbs. Beer was in pints.
franky1
Legendary

View Profile
May 04, 2014, 06:50:20 PM

Hmmm. I'm also in the UK, and in my experience people tend to say "500 mils" where I'd maybe expect them to say "half a litre". A can of Coke is straightforward (there's usually only one thing "can" can mean); bottles less so - is it a 500ml bottle, a 1 litre or a 2 litre bottle? I guess that's why people specify the volume. When it's something like wine we never specify the volume - a bottle is a bottle (albeit one that contains 750ml).

With carpentry, I was taught to measure in millimetres and it's metric when I buy stuff at B&Q but I take your point about 2x4s - it's become genericised, the actual measurements are metric but we continue to use the old naming convention,

You're right that people don't tend to talk about using 120ml of milk, but that's what most recipes use - we just don't tend to talk about our kitchen adventures that much! "Cups" tends to be used when people are following US or older British recipes. (I find "cups" a PITA because all my mugs/cups are different sizes, and I'm a bad enough cook at the best of times without allowing imprecise volume to interfere with my culinary expertise. I usually google the metric equivalent when faced with cups).

That said, there's a strong tendency in the UK to resist metric - beer is still sold in pints (instead of the mighty 600ml "pints" our cousins down under get to enjoy) and speed limits are still set in MPH instead of KM/H. And over the past few years it's become increasingly hard to find litres of milk in supermarkets. Silly supermarkets - pints are for beer Wink (Ideally 600ml pints...)

thats what i mean, common people dont use measurements
EG
"500ml coke bottle" = small bottle of coke
"90mph speed" = "i was doing 90"

digressing away from common slang and going back to the rebuttling the OP, most people prefer bottom up measurements
0,1,2 instead of 0 tenth of 10, 1 tenth of 10, 2 tenth of 10
grams, ounces, tonnes instead of millitonnes or microtonnes

as for stuff like millimeters and centimeters, people do not treat it like what mathematicians do EG 100th, 1000th. (an adjective to describe measurements top down). they think of it as a common word (a noun to make reference to a known and publicly used term)

EG ask a kid what a millimeter is. they will never tell you its 1000th of a meter. they will say it is this big: l
EG ask a kid what a centimeter is. they will never tell you its 100th of a meter. they will say it is this big: lllllllll

again they will tell you there are 10 millimeters to a centimeter and 100 centimeters to a meter. not 10ths 100ths.. those terms of top down are reserved for 'professionals' and inside classroom textbooks.. not common on the streets in normal conversations

.. and thats about as many different ways as i can try explaining to the OP and other mbtc lovers that they need to be thinking common man slang and thinking of futureproof words using bottom up, not temporal measures using top down

Mabsark (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 04, 2014, 07:08:38 PM

thats what i mean, common people dont use measurements
Yeah, when people are redecorating and buying new funiture and stuff like that, they just have wild guesses at sizes instead of actually measuring things.

digressing away from common slang and going back to the rebuttling the OP, most people prefer bottom up measurements
0,1,2 instead of 0 tenth of 10, 1 tenth of 10, 2 tenth of 10

Which is why they have no problem using SI units. You're defeating your own arguments, old timer.  Cheesy
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3402
Merit: 4657

View Profile
May 04, 2014, 08:58:59 PM

I keep it simple and just call them mikes.  Nicknames for currency have been around for hundreds of years. People adapt just fine.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: