Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 01:44:10 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: 1/1000000 of BTC is a good idea, but how to call the new unit that=100 Satoshis
µBTC
uBTC
uni
bit
ubit
bitcoin
zib
centoshi or hectoshi
coinbit
mic or mike

Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: A new unit=1/1000000BTC. Bit is already taken, how to call a new unit/symbol?  (Read 2165 times)
Biodom (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3794
Merit: 3995

View Profile
May 04, 2014, 07:30:04 PM
Last edit: May 05, 2014, 07:29:49 PM by Biodom

A unit of 10-6 BTC is a great idea, but bit is already WIDELY used to measure information.

I propose to call 0.000001 BTC (1/1000000 BTC=10-6 BTC=µBTC) a uni, which is short of Unit, pronounced (you-ni).
Advantages-not used; Uni is similar to unit and sounds vaguely similar, but different, to/from both yen (Japanese) and yuan (Chinese).
Edit: removed comments.
CoinRocka

Activity: 249
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 04, 2014, 07:33:58 PM

I need to pay for my "uni" at the dry cleaners with "uni"?
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4256
Merit: 4532

View Profile
May 04, 2014, 07:39:45 PM

just idea's gathered by other thread topics

μbtc (topdown measurement from bitcoin)
hectosat (bottomup measurement from satoshi)

bit - popular
gav (honouring gavin A for 3 years of programming bitcoin just like sat honours the inventor)
alp (honouring alpaca socks, the first legit business to accept bitcoin)

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
Biodom (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 04, 2014, 07:40:46 PM

I need to pay for my "uni" at the dry cleaners with "uni"?

don't wear uni if i got your meaning right.
You can pay for your uni education eventually with a few thou uni, though  Wink
I realise that some cases would not fit, but you cannot hijack a word which has widely use meaning already (such as bit).
Er, you can, but only on the message boards-witness the use of "loose" instead of 'lose".
Biodom (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 04, 2014, 07:43:14 PM

just idea's gathered by other thread topics

ubit (topdown measurement from bitcoin)
hectosat (bottomup measurement from satoshi)

bit - popular
gav (honouring gavin A for 3 years of programming bitcoin just like sat honours the inventor)
alp (honouring alpaca socks, the first legit business to accept bitcoin)

adding ubit to the poll, thanks.
franky1
Legendary

View Profile
May 04, 2014, 07:47:50 PM

it seems the consensus is just going with bit or other terms that show a bottom up use. yet there are a few top down fanboys that do not like this and aimlessly make new topic and new polls in an attempt to keep trying to get different results.

insanity is when you keep trying to repeat the same thing over and over, waiting to get a different result.

so why not try using the existant topics and get proper results instead of all these repeated posts with polls asking the same question.

Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
Biodom (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 04, 2014, 07:53:33 PM
Last edit: May 04, 2014, 08:06:22 PM by Biodom

it seems the consensus is just going with bit or other terms that show a bottom up use. yet there are a few top down fanboys that do not like this and aimlessly make new topic and new polls in an attempt to keep trying to get different results.

insanity is when you keep trying to repeat the same thing over and over, trying to get a different result.

so why not try using the existant topics and get proper results instead of all these repeated posts with polls asking the same question.

Prior polls did not explain that Bit is already taken.
Surprise-not everybody are aware of this because we mostly use Mb, Gb or TB moniker, but it is Gigabit as in "8-port Gigabit switch" or "2 Terabit hard drive'

If you post polls without proper description, you are basically hijacking the word. Good going.
fan boys of what?
hello_good_sir

Activity: 1008
Merit: 531

View Profile
May 04, 2014, 08:04:54 PM

it seems the consensus is just going with bit

According to my poll, more than 60% of people do not want "bit".  They did not pick as their first or even second choice.  So no, only a very vocal minority wants "bit".  The rest of us are using polls to try to figure out what the consensus will be.

hello_good_sir

View Profile
May 04, 2014, 08:05:59 PM

You forgot to include most of the most popular choices: bitcoin, zib, and centoshi.  Your choices are all very similar.

Biodom (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 04, 2014, 08:07:50 PM

You forgot to include most of the most popular choices: bitcoin, zib, and centoshi.  Your choices are all very similar.

done
Biodom (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 04, 2014, 08:11:05 PM

it seems the consensus is just going with bit

According to my poll, more than 60% of people do not want "bit".  They did not pick as their first or even second choice.  So no, only a very vocal minority wants "bit".  The rest of us are using polls to try to figure out what the consensus will be.

Exactly, how could you push so hard for ALREADY used information tech word?  I think that we need to find a good consensus, and it should take some time. The fact that Jeff garzik or Bitpay favors bit (at the moment only!) should matter little or none at all for a wide consensus.
carlbgc

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 04, 2014, 08:11:16 PM

I was a fan of bit, but after all the discussion and reasons not to use bit, ubit is really growing on me.

Advantages of ubit:

-Actually makes sense as a unit of measurement
-Not taken by anything else
-Rolls off the tongue and easy to say

Remember, this will just be the official term. PEOPLE WILL INVENT SLANG NATURALLY AND CALL IT WHAT THEY WISH.

Hell, it may end up being known as the bit. But at least when there is the possibility of confusion (ie buying a 64 bit OS for 32 bits) people can use the official unit (buying a 64 bit OS for 32 ubits).

When you're down at the grocery store buying milk the cashier can use the slang with no confusion (that'll be 2.2 bits).
hello_good_sir

View Profile
May 04, 2014, 08:30:10 PM

The fact that Jeff garzik or Bitpay favors bit (at the moment only!) should matter little or none at all for a wide consensus.

It isn't too surprising that Bitpay would favor "bit".  I'm glad that they are doing the decent thing and  aren't pushing that particular name too hard.

franky1
Legendary

View Profile
May 04, 2014, 08:45:46 PM
Last edit: May 04, 2014, 09:24:01 PM by franky1

would you like a five pound of beef or a five pound bank note
only use lead-free paint in the childrens room and try and find the dogs lead to take him for a walk
my kitchen oven uses gas, my american car is fuelled with gas
can you look after my pet mouse while i go to the computer store and replace my keyboard and mouse
i drunk a beer and now im drunk
look at that old bag, carrying her shopping in a bag
that girls bra cup is bigger then my coffee cup
can you look on top of the wardrobe and find me a clean top to wear
the sun light, lightens up my day. i do not feel heavy, i feel light
if you notice any spelling mistakes on this official notice i am posting on this notice board.
my mommy is wrapped in bandages, just like a mommy
listening to a music jam while eating strawberry jam
cell phones will one day be the size of single cell organisms
can you sculpt me 2 stone birds with their wings out and put one in the left and one in the right wings of my mansion
your right, my right arm is longer then my left
can i trust you to go to the bank and open a trust fund for our kid
tomorrows outlook is good, i do not mean a microsoft email update
my tablet PC reminds me when is should take my tablets
your a knob, now let go of my door knob
im going to wage war on my boss because he has not paid me my wage
that nail gun shot a nail straight through the nail in my finger
baby lets go to bed so we can spoon together.. hang on love we ran out of spoons, how about a knife
i blew my lid today as i couldnt eat any peanut butter. that dam peanut butter lid was stuck
can you tell me how much that can of pepsi is
dont bottle up your motions due to that bottleneck on the highway, drink a bottle of water
you girl are smoking hott, i love to watch a girl while she is smoking
a pre-med doctor sits in a field hypothesizing which medical field to specialize in
at the DIY store i asked for a socket, he asked me socket wrench or electrical plug socket
there are some bgs in my code, but not as much as their are bed bugs in my bed
will you light my cigarette with that lighter that lights up using led lights
this bag of chips taste nice.... No john don't eat my ASIC mining chips
the NSA screens all visitors but i was more impressed by their 4k hi-def LED screens
the doctor found tar on my lungs, i told him to unzip the tar file and extract it
your mouth is larger then the mouth of the Mississippi river
old mcdonald had a farm, and a mcdonald bigmac for his lunch
im growing grass on my property, not weed the standard short gren grass that covers every garden and field
i want to buy an apple.. a golden delicious not a G5

i found a bit of someones tooth in sandwich when i bitdown on it.

the last sentance shows bit is in use.. now look at the first sentance.. and tell me the british government care about double meanings

Chrithu

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 04, 2014, 08:49:04 PM

Why not stick to µBTC/uBTC as it has been commonly used ever since?

Anyways my vote is µBTC.

Arghhh

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 04, 2014, 08:50:13 PM

Your poll is biased, you know that?
franky1
Legendary

View Profile
May 04, 2014, 08:54:19 PM

Why not stick to µBTC/uBTC as it has been commonly used ever since?

Anyways my vote is µBTC.

µBTC is a topdown measurement, and not future-proofing for common conversations of bitcoin

Biodom (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 04, 2014, 09:25:44 PM

would you like a five pound of beef or a five pound bank note

i found a bit of someones tooth in sandwich when i bitdown on it.

the last sentance shows bit is in use.. now look at the first sentance.. and tell me the british government care about double meanings

I had never seen a pound note in my life, don't care about the british gov (we declared independence in 1776) and I don't know what the sentance is either.
Care to elaborate?
Biodom (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 04, 2014, 09:26:32 PM
Last edit: May 04, 2014, 09:55:21 PM by Biodom

Your poll is biased, you know that?

how? It has 9 entries now.
Gyrsur
Legendary