Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 05:16:02 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Begginer BTC Miner Wants Some Help!  (Read 1532 times)
ilzot (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 04, 2014, 11:56:44 PM

Hey Guys,

Well, after doing a bit of research, I am really considering getting into BTC mining. My only real problem is that I'm in highschool, so i don't have tons of money to invest in this right away. What I want from you guys is a recommendation in to how I can get into BTC mining for like $100-$500 bucks. I realize that's an incredibly small budget to have, but I plan to use this cheap rig to raise me enough money to buy an even better rig that I'll stick with and use long term. I've seen things like raspberry-pi rigs which are kinda cool, but I feel may not be worth it.

Like I said, I'm a beginner, so feel free to leave me some advice!

Thanks Everyone!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin addresses contain a checksum, so it is very unlikely that mistyping an address will cause you to lose money.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TheRealSteve

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

FUN > ROI

View Profile
May 05, 2014, 12:22:58 AM

sorry, cheap rigs aren't going to "raise [you] enough money" - positive financial ROI starts with expensive machines, at best.. that or a whole lot of luck.

o3u

Activity: 393
Merit: 250

Money comes, money goes

View Profile
May 05, 2014, 12:39:38 AM

It's not that simple, not that cheap.

You're better off buying coins and waiting on the next price bubble to invest in hardware.
Jaxkr

Activity: 420

View Profile
May 05, 2014, 01:02:06 AM

Hey Guys,

Well, after doing a bit of research, I am really considering getting into BTC mining. My only real problem is that I'm in highschool, so i don't have tons of money to invest in this right away. What I want from you guys is a recommendation in to how I can get into BTC mining for like $100-$500 bucks. I realize that's an incredibly small budget to have, but I plan to use this cheap rig to raise me enough money to buy an even better rig that I'll stick with and use long term. I've seen things like raspberry-pi rigs which are kinda cool, but I feel may not be worth it.

Thanks Everyone!

If you're just playing around, you can use CEX.io to buy hashing power instantly. However, the hashing power DOES get less valuable over time, and there is no guarantee you will make your money back. But, it allows for a lower investment to get started as opposed to other mining solutions. You can buy more than 100 GH/s for the $500 you mention! Smiley

You can use my referral link if you want: https://cex.io/r/1/Jaxkr/0/
PangPang

Activity: 499

View Profile
May 05, 2014, 02:10:22 AM

... but I plan to use this cheap rig to raise me enough money to buy an even better rig ...

If you are looking for profits, I am afraid you can hardly do that now.

ujka

Activity: 630

View Profile
May 05, 2014, 07:40:07 AM

I never heard of 'raspberry pi' rigs. Mining is now in ASIC age.
With your budget better buy coins and wait for next price bubble.
Or buy some 'virtual' mining shares, like https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=430137.0
activebiz

Activity: 518

View Profile
May 05, 2014, 07:45:47 AM

U can start with cloud mining on cex.io or a 200ghs antminer

Coin_Master

Activity: 148
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 05, 2014, 11:48:09 AM

Hey Guys,

Thanks Everyone!
You have no chance of making any money mining Bitcoin, sorry you missed the boat.
There are other things you could do like creating services that support and promote Bitcoin.
Good Luck Smiley
ChuckBuck

Activity: 1372
Merit: 783

better everyday ♥

View Profile WWW
May 05, 2014, 02:19:17 PM

Sorry dude, that ship has sailed.

With over $400, you can buy a single Bitcoin though,  Just hold on to it and hope for the best.

CharityAuction
          ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄   
       ▄▄███████▀▀▀▀███████▄
     ▄████▀▀           ▀▀████▄
   ▄███▀▀   ▄▄████████▄▄   ▀▀███▄
  ████▀   ████▀██████████    ▀███▄
 ████   ▄███▀▄  ▀    ██████   ▀███▄
▄███   ████▄    ▄█▄  ▀██████    ███▄
████  ▄███▀     ▀█▀      ▀███▄  ████
████  ████▄▄█▄      ▄█▄   ████  ████
████  ▀████████▄   ███▀  ▄███▀  ████
▀███   █████████▄   ▀   ▀████   ███▀
 ████   ▀████████   ▄ ▀▄▄██    ████
  ████▄   ███████▄▄██▄▄███   ▄████
   ▀███▄▄   ▀▀████████▀▀   ▄▄███▀
     ▀████▄▄            ▄▄████▀
       ▀▀███████▄▄▄▄███████▀▀
           ▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
          ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄   
       ▄▄███████▀▀▀▀███████▄
       ▀▀███████▄▄▄▄███████▀▀
           ▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
ColdScam
tzortz

Activity: 728

View Profile
May 05, 2014, 09:54:38 PM

You can buy 2x S1s and keep playing until the summer time with pencil mods.

As about the raspberry rigs, you re mentioning to the 1Th/s machines (S2, A1 clones, etc)?

All is Mine!

1H7LUdfx9AFTMSXPsCBror3RDk57zgnc2R
IamCANADIAN013

Activity: 714
Merit: 503

View Profile
May 06, 2014, 06:22:02 AM

Hey Guys,

Thanks Everyone!

At current prices, mining is not profitable.  You are better off buying coin.  Buy low, sell high.  The days of mining are over at this point.  Not sure if it will ever be profitable again.
Coef

Activity: 882
Merit: 1000

Exhausted

View Profile
May 06, 2014, 12:30:43 PM

My only real problem is that I'm in highschool, so i don't have tons of money to invest in this right away.

That is not the problem at all. The real problem here is bitcoin mining is not profitable now, at current difficulty.

crocko

Activity: 826

'All that glitters is not gold'

View Profile
May 07, 2014, 07:45:30 PM

If you want to see how it is the real mining you can buy 2 GPUs and mine for some coins, exchange to BTC, then sale and cash out. Don't forget the payment for the power bill too.
If you don't like the result you will still have 2 cool GPU for the PC games, or you may sell them.

Find my posts helpful? Click my Trust link and rep me!
BTC: 1MqUxoDQE8Q88sDvoaLMbBJSMToSfPgKSy  DOGE: D61Na9wjuneAn9GFLRNrHgWHHFwVfd1T7y  LTC: 3Luo136zrqkCi53jT72FEY52GbwW1ZYi6X
Vitsila

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 07, 2014, 09:56:38 PM

My only real problem is that I'm in highschool, so i don't have tons of money to invest in this right away.

That is not the problem at all. The real problem here is bitcoin mining is not profitable now, at current difficulty.

Is profitable if you can invest more money, like 3000 euro?
TheRealSteve

FUN > ROI

View Profile
May 07, 2014, 10:52:28 PM

You'd basically be entering the arena of high-end miners - and while some of them give positive ROI, a bunch of them are only available by pre-order and you have to trust that they won't be delivered late (with difficulty increases messing up any chance of positive ROI).. you're also taking a gamble with the difficulty in general, and of course the exchange rate.

Make sure you read the horror stories about several companies delivering miners that underperform, arrive severely damaged (dislodged coolers, dislodged components, huge dents in chassis), miss parts completely, go up in smoke (literally), and offer nothing but excuse after excuse when it comes to setting things right.

If that hasn't scared you off, look up some of the miners available (see the Hardware subsection), find their claimed (where possible, actual) hash rates, cost (including shipping, etc.), power use, time for delivery, all that.. then hit up a mining calculator (there's a thread that lists a bunch), and run a few different scenarios (difficulty increases, exchange rate if wanting to calculate with fiat), then see if it's worth the risk to you.

Chances are good that you'd be better off buying an Scrypt miner, mine some altcoins, and sell those - but even that's getting to where manufacturers are starting to flood the market, so don't take that as advice.

SnakePlisken

Activity: 71
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 07, 2014, 11:15:47 PM

I'm a newbie too and this is pretty much what everyone has told me in my previous inquiries (the ship has sailed).

What do you guys think of that cloud mining service called pbmining where you get 5 year contracts? What if the price skyrockets in the next few years... couldn't that pay off big time? Or would the increase in difficulty make the mining contract basically worthless?

TheRealSteve

FUN > ROI

View Profile
May 07, 2014, 11:32:47 PM

What if
Let me know if you find a crystal ball that peers into the future so you can answer that 'what if' Smiley

Overall, cloud-based hashing is a gamble as well, just generally with lower up-front costs.  I'm not too particularly interested in that market, though, so maybe check out some of the writings at http://cryptomining-blog.com/?s=cloud , they review them and update on findings fairly regularly.

ChuckBuck

Activity: 1372
Merit: 783

better everyday ♥

View Profile WWW
May 08, 2014, 02:34:24 AM

I'm a newbie too and this is pretty much what everyone has told me in my previous inquiries (the ship has sailed).

What do you guys think of that cloud mining service called pbmining where you get 5 year contracts? What if the price skyrockets in the next few years... couldn't that pay off big time? Or would the increase in difficulty make the mining contract basically worthless?

Look over this thread and decide for yourself if PBMining is legit or a Ponzi scheme:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=484355.0

IMO, they don't have any provable mining equipment so I'm of the opinion they are a scam.  You make some money initially in a few months with them, but what happens in Year 2 through 5?  Of course it's up to everyone to do their own due diligence.

CharityAuction
          ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄   
       ▄▄███████▀▀▀▀███████▄
       ▀▀███████▄▄▄▄███████▀▀
           ▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
          ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄   
       ▄▄███████▀▀▀▀███████▄
       ▀▀███████▄▄▄▄███████▀▀
           ▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
ColdScam
Sonny

Activity: 868

View Profile
May 08, 2014, 05:25:17 AM

I don't think so...It is better to buy bitcoin directly IMO.
omehenk

Activity: 278

View Profile
May 08, 2014, 09:09:26 AM
Last edit: May 09, 2014, 02:01:20 AM by omehenk

I don't think so...It is better to buy bitcoin directly IMO.

+ 1 for real. i am suprised every day people are Still asking THAT question .
Its less stressfull , and way more easy.

H

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: