Bitcoin Forum
June 27, 2024, 06:22:42 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Department of Defense To Study Bitcoin As Possible Terrorist Threat!  (Read 446 times)
LostDutchman (OP)

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
May 05, 2014, 04:15:23 AM

Jesus Christ on a raft!

Here we go then!

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2014/05/04/department-defense-to-study-bitcoin-as-terrorist-threat/

"A division within the Department of Defense is investigating whether the digital currency bitcoin is a possible terrorist threat.

The Combatting Terrorism Technical Support Office is spearheading a program that will help the military understand how modern technologies could pose threats to national security, including bitcoin and other virtual currencies, the International Business Times reported.

A memo detailing some of the CTTSO projects states, “The introduction of virtual currency will likely shape threat finance by increasing the opaqueness, transactional velocity, and overall efficiencies of terrorist attacks,” as reported by Bitcoin Magazine, according to IBTimes.

One of the greatest concerns reportedly rests with the anonymity afforded bitcoin transactions. The transactions are public, but the people involved in the operations are unnamed.

Bitcoins, according to the business site, can allow illegal operations with the speed of the Internet, but with the secrecy of a cash deal.

Some high-profile cases have highlighted bitcoin’s vulnerability, including Silk Road, the digital black market shut down in October by the FBI. Silk Road accepted only bitcoin for payments. The site’s founder was charged with drug trafficking and money laundering.

A Treasury Department probe found no evidence of bitcoin being used to finance terrorism, but the anonymous nature of the transactions still has many law enforcement officials worried.

CTTSO is concerned that anonymous networks are a way to successfully traffic drugs, weapons, people and nuclear tech under the radar.

Android, Motorola, social media and virtual reality were also included on the CTTSO’s list of topics worth researching regarding terrorism."

Fuck.

Shit.

All sorts of seven-letter words.

We are going to have to go deeper and deeper underground if we are to survive.

"A Treasury Department probe found no evidence of bitcoin being used to finance terrorism, but the anonymous nature of the transactions still has many law enforcement officials worried."

You see, they are making a crime where there isn't one.

My $.02.

Wink

Corporations For Crypto
Protect Your Assets and Reduce Your Tax Liability With A Kansas Corporation!
We Demand Justice From BFL
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
May 05, 2014, 04:29:44 AM

This is just is more evidence of my theory that government employees suffer from a severe case of paranoia and are convinced the world is out to get them, if people wanted to do all the things they're scared of they would have attempted it already and they'd all be dead.
u9y42
Legendary

Activity: 2562
Merit: 1071

View Profile
May 05, 2014, 08:07:49 AM

How convenient; "it might be a threat, so don't be surprised if we have to do something against it". Anyway, you usually use fox news as a source?  Grin

This is just is more evidence of my theory that government employees suffer from a severe case of paranoia and are convinced the world is out to get them, if people wanted to do all the things they're scared of they would have attempted it already and they'd all be dead.

I don't think they necessarily suffer from paranoia; I think it's conditional on how much they're being paid/pressured to.
LostDutchman (OP)

View Profile WWW
May 05, 2014, 09:42:47 AM

You can buy everything with BTC guns,drugs,pharmaceuticals,fake I.D.'s,Passports Etc. I have seen so much come through this site so i wouldn't be surprised if it was used for such activities.

You can do the same thing with USA $100 bills.

My $.02.

Wink

Corporations For Crypto
mydearvoice

Activity: 250

View Profile
May 05, 2014, 09:52:16 AM

:(Not so exaggerated, BTC is not very good, I think

u9y42
Legendary

Activity: 2562
Merit: 1071

View Profile
May 05, 2014, 10:01:37 AM

:(Not so exaggerated, BTC is not very good, I think

And how did you reach that conclusion? Through their studies of potential uses?  Grin

Also, should you be in this forum if you really think so?  Tongue

You can buy everything with BTC guns,drugs,pharmaceuticals,fake I.D.'s,Passports Etc. I have seen so much come through this site so i wouldn't be surprised if it was used for such activities.

You know what, criminals... hrm, sorry, terrorists may use roads to attack people... better close them down.
medUSA
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1003

--Signature Designs-- http://bit.ly/1Pjbx77

View Profile WWW
May 05, 2014, 10:11:43 AM

Quote from: International Business Times
An unclassified memo from January unearthed by Bitcoin Magazine detailed solicitations for CTTSO projects. The memo states that one of the mission requirements is for “innovative...solutions to develop and/or enhance new concepts and constructs for understanding the role of virtual currencies” in financing threats against the United States.

Bitcoin can be used by terrorists to fund attacks. However there are so many check points on exchanges, each transaction will have to be so small that it is not practical to use Bitcoin at all. Terrorists are not stupid. They know that the blockchain is openly monitored. To use it to move capital is like smuggling drugs with flashing pink suitcases.

Quote from: International Business Times
Also on the CTTSO’s list of terrorism research topics were Android, Motorola, social media and virtual reality. Google and Facebook may want to take note.

This is hilarious! Android is a threat and iOS is not? I think "Call of Duty" is more of a threat than Android Cheesy

http://www.ibtimes.com/bitcoin-terrorist-threat-counterterrorism-program-names-virtual-currencies-area-interest-1579699
Chrithu

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 05, 2014, 10:14:53 AM

You can do the same thing with USA $100 bills.

My $.02.

Wink

That's the point. I have yet to see any proof that people do anything with Bitcoin that they couldn't do any other way at a comparable speed. And I think the number of Drugs and guns bought and terrorist activities financed using US Dollars outnumber the cases in which Bitcoin were used by quite a lot.

And on a sidetrack: Anonymity in the internet will actually remain a necessary thing as long as there aren't measures installed to protect everyone's privacy and freedom of speech. Beyond illegal matters the main reason to want to be anonymous in the internet is because you don't want your boss or anyone else to see and know ALL you do there privately.

And those freedoms used to be a sacred thing especially in the US. Nowadays they are so concerned about their security that they'd happily and willingly throw overboard a lot of things they have achieved in their short history in that regard. Heck the only freedom they still hold sacred is their freedom to own a gun so they can protect themselves.

LostDutchman (OP)

View Profile WWW
May 05, 2014, 01:22:16 PM

The whole "funding Terrorism" thing is a red herring and a false flag.

It is ONLY a cover and justification for the intrusion of government into the lives of citizens and used to further erode our civil rights.

My $.02.

Wink

Corporations For Crypto
alex_bronco

Activity: 33
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 05, 2014, 01:36:51 PM

The whole "funding Terrorism" thing is a red herring and a false flag.

It is ONLY a cover and justification for the intrusion of government into the lives of citizens and used to further erode our civil rights.

My $.02.

Wink

Yey! Big brother is watching!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: