Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 01:08:33 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Freezing BitCoin addresses by regulating miners  (Read 16507 times)
LAMarcellus

Activity: 180
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 27, 2013, 01:51:25 AM

Could a wallet be created that would automatically send bitcoins to a new public address every (pick a time frame). In this way, unless a deterministic wallet was used, a bitcoin could always outrun the freeze order? I suppose the path the coins take could always be tracked. But wouldn't auto send feature render the freeze order impotent...
like hopefully all forms of regulation against bitcoin.  Grin

The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion. – Albert Camus

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Dabs
Legendary

Activity: 3416
Merit: 1912

The Concierge of Crypto

View Profile
December 27, 2013, 01:55:50 AM

That wallet would be some sort of software? Or an online/web wallet? In latter case, you don't really control the coins, yet. In the first case, your wallet can be a target since it is connected to the internet.

Mike Hearn (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1128

View Profile
January 06, 2014, 06:35:02 PM

Is there a reason you suddenly dug up this thread from 2011, genjix?
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
January 06, 2014, 07:13:13 PM

Perhaps he just wished to showcase the remarkable degree of prescience and understanding exhibited by some of the more capable persons associated with the project, and from a relatively early date Smiley

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
Carlton Banks
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 3071

View Profile
January 06, 2014, 08:13:13 PM

So, miners should be regulated to enforce blacklists, eh? Don't know how that could be achieved in a practical way worldwide. Mike was even more idealistic in his younger days!

Vires in numeris
nodroids

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 06, 2014, 09:27:59 PM

Brilliant discussion. Thanks for illuminating me on how dynamic the blockchain can get
anarchy

Activity: 102
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 01:29:35 AM

The reason is that Mike Hearn is still a dick, and doesn't like his agenda to be exposed.  The dark hates light being shed on it.
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 02:22:00 AM

The reason is that Mike Hearn is still a dick, and doesn't like his agenda to be exposed.  The dark hates light being shed on it.

Total bullshit.  Mike has been crystal clear all along if anyone was paying attention and could understand the concepts and constructs he's described many of which are technically challenging.  This thread is one of many of the reasons I make this statement.  I personally disagree with some (maybe almost all) of his apparent philosophical constructs and goals, and he himself has said that these have been evolving, but he has been one of the most forthright people around in my opinion.  I do hope this persists.

Mike has also been one of the most prolific and effective in dev-land.  There is a pretty fair chance that Bitcoin would have withered on the vine a year ago but for his spearheading the database re-implementation.  I'm quite confident that we would not be where we are today without this work, and not sure that anyone else would have gotten around to it or pulled it off (even considering the rather embarrassing bdb issue which point up how questionable Bitcoin QA was (is?).  That's my read on things.

As for the 'secrecy' about the blacklisting conversation, I consider it mostly an artifact of the structure of the Bitcoin Foundation.  That's just one in a long list of lamentable features the BF displays.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
dewdeded
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1011

Monero Evangelist

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 07:15:45 PM

I am 100% sure Mike Hearn is send from and paid by US agencies to destroy Bitcoin.
Like they send agents to protocols and formats working groups to prohibit secure crypto or unbackdoored software.

Looks like the other leading members of this Bitcoin Faildation either don't care, have no gut to stand up against it or they also are agents or paid for corperation.
BurtW
Legendary

Activity: 2646
Merit: 1130

All paid signature campaigns should be banned.

View Profile WWW
January 13, 2014, 08:11:03 PM

In order to make it almost impossible to even attempt to implement coin lists everyone should use coinjoin.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=279249.0

Our family was terrorized by Homeland Security.  Read all about it here:  http://www.jmwagner.com/ and http://www.burtw.com/  Any donations to help us recover from the $300,000 in legal fees and forced donations to the Federal Asset Forfeiture slush fund are greatly appreciated!
ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 08:27:52 PM
Last edit: January 13, 2014, 10:13:57 PM by ArticMine

I would suggest first viewing Andreas M. Antonopoulos' presentation to the L. A. Bitcoin meetup in its entirety. He explains why blacklists, whitelists etc as is being proposed in this thread will destroy Bitcoin. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTPQKyAq-DM

This proposed fork together with "Coin Validation" belongs in the trash heap.

Edit: Will Zerocoin work for the large number of coins the US Government holds?

The above is a verbatim copy of my reply to this thread https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=412041.0;all It applies equally to this other proposed fork. Regardless of whether it is the state trying to freeze coins or those who hate the state trying to seize the state's coins the answer in both cases has to be NO.

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
genjix
Legendary

Merit: 1072

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 01:35:27 AM

How much money would you take from the dutch police to help them arrest a buyer of DMT from Silk Road, and so help clear up Bitcoin's image?
dewdeded
Legendary

Merit: 1011

Monero Evangelist

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 02:17:02 AM

Good question genjix, with three possible answers:

- in public we will say: "No money, I won't rat bitcoin users to feds, I SWEAR, please believe me"

- in reality he says: "cool, sure I love to help identifying the target and make up evidence, but the thing is, I am a public person, community is watching me, we have to disguise this money thing, give me a consulting job or I hold some seminars for police offers and write big bill, to obfuscate the real reason for payment"

- if we would be honest we would say: "you don't have to give me money, I am also an LE agent, reach out to my engagement officer at NSA, so he can put me on this case, as part of Dutch Mutual Legal Assistance Agreement with U.S.A."  

:-/
Mike Hearn (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 11:37:03 AM

How much money would you take from the dutch police to help them arrest a buyer of DMT from Silk Road, and so help clear up Bitcoin's image?

I will explain Bitcoin and how it works to anyone, regardless of whether they're the police or not.

After all, I'm the one who taught you about Merkle trees back when you didn't understand the difference between a branch and a tree, remember? I gave the most popular talk at the conference you organised. Now you attack me for being willing to talk about Bitcoin to people who don't have the same opinions as you. Where's your commitment to spreading knowledge gone?

Amir, these sorts of random personal attacks are getting really old, but I've met you and I don't doubt your good intentions. The war on drugs is terrible and divisive. I would like to see it end. I think the way to end it is through democracy. The moment the majority of Americans started supporting legalisation, the laws started changing. But even if you think the right way is to support online black markets, you have to make a decision - given that lots of people don't agree with you on that, are you going to focus on the 80% of things where agreement can be found and working together is possible? Or are you just going to continue starting fights for no reason with people who would otherwise be happy to write code and get things done with you?

The reason is that .... the dark hates light being shed on it.

If your idea of dark is people writing about what ideas they're exploring in public forum posts over a period of many years, then I hate to know what your idea of light would be. Mind-reading machines?
ljudotina
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1029

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 11:51:16 AM

Companys that want to deal with dedicated mining on such large scale, will settle their mining operations in countries that are open to Bitcoin. They are not crazy to loose their investment.
Why loose investment? Well, pretty much same moment they decide to freeze someones assets, BTC is dead. It is no longer free and open. What will happen is that BTC will fork to version that does not allow such actions (probably change of algorithm) which would render all huge miners useless, which would make em loose their invested money.

EDIT: Oh man i just replayed to topic that is 3 years old? Damn....it's like walking dead....zombies!

genjix
Legendary

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 12:58:48 PM

Are you trolling me? Lets work together says the guy that promoted the angle that I'm not a developer to the community and tried to have my participation censored.

http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2013-09/13/digital-economy-task-force
"Bitcoin, Tor and Gates Foundation join task force to prevent child exploitation"

Don't tell me it's just about talking to the police. I'm sure you can rationalise it however you want. It sure starts that way. That's what people who run education seminars for the NSA or DoD tell themselves when you ask them. But they get paid for something.
Mike Hearn (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 02:23:24 PM

Sigh. Seeing as you reopened this long-dead thread from 2011 for apparently no reason, I'm pretty sure you're the one who is trolling me.

You aren't getting my point. Forget it. Go ahead and refuse to talk to anyone who isn't "ideologically pure".

But here's a question to ponder. If the NSA came along and offered to run a few thousand Obelisk servers, what would you tell them?
genjix
Legendary

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 03:21:54 PM

Would you accept? And why?

I work with all sorts of people. Doesn't mean I need the consent or participation of police, legislators, corporations or other adversaries. That's simply common sense. And you didn't just talk to police, you support their actions. People working against your own users.
avanda1121

Activity: 124
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 03:57:13 PM

Thanks for this... Grin
Mike Hearn (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 10:35:29 AM
Last edit: January 15, 2014, 10:49:00 AM by Mike Hearn

Would I accept what? Money for ..... ? Explaining how Bitcoin works to a police or a court? Yes I would, as would many other people. Especially if there's going to be a jury that judges some events, I think it's pretty important for them to have accurate explanations of things.

I'd also accept money for explaining it to bankers, the freemasons and anarchists. I don't need the money but there are an endless number of people who would like personalised tutorials about Bitcoin, so charging the going rate is one way to keep the time commitments under control.

Here's a reality check for you: just because someone downloads an application that incorporates some source code, doesn't automatically make them friends of the developers. If the allegations are true, DPR was ordering people to be tortured and killed, which would make him no friend of mine even though he was a "user".

Now I answered your question, you answer mine. If the NSA downloaded and ran 1000 obelisk servers, what would you do?
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: