Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 12:28:27 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Stefan Molyneux Bitcoin vs. Political Power (Must see if you haven't yet)  (Read 7822 times)
twiifm

Activity: 784
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 11, 2014, 01:34:20 AM

Oh lord.  Do people actually take this guy seriously?  Just another shock jock like Alex Jones et al

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Beliathon

Merit: 1000

https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU

View Profile WWW
May 11, 2014, 07:05:36 AM

Oh lord.  Do people actually take this guy seriously?  Just another shock jock like Alex Jones et al
I take Stefan Molyneux as seriously as a heart attack. He is a living sage of our time, although he's got it wrong to include capitalism in his vision.

Start with this one, "Sunset of the State".

I also highly recommend On Truth: The Tyranny of Illusion, if your mind is prepared. It's a whopping two hours and forty minutes.

Empty your cup.

Remember Aaron Swartz, a 26 year old computer scientist who died defending the free flow of information.
AtomicDoge

Activity: 163
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 11, 2014, 07:50:18 AM

Ancap here. I really wonder if a political (dare I say propaganda) speech given on a tech conference will really bring people to bitcoin? Plus there are several outrageous claims with no basis in reality.
He claims that war is supported by fiat currency and money printing.
AtomicDoge

View Profile
May 11, 2014, 07:56:31 AM

Problem is lots of countries outside the US wage war even though they can't effectively print their own money (because they have to keep a good ratio of local currency to foreign reserves).
AtomicDoge

View Profile
May 11, 2014, 08:02:53 AM

Russia and other petronations (Saudis) fund unrest all over the world with oil money. Using bitcoin will not change this, it's wishfull thinking by Americans who have no idea how the rest of the world works (I know Stefan is Canadian but he focuses on US news 99% of time)
strombert

Activity: 125
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 11, 2014, 09:17:19 AM

I heard they are trading oil and gas in St Petersburg WITHOUT dollars, what about that?

cryptos

Activity: 70

View Profile
May 11, 2014, 09:29:17 AM

Its a great video, but overly optimistic...Bitcoin is already becoming centralized and the foundation being taken over.
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
May 11, 2014, 11:10:06 AM

Russia and other petronations (Saudis) fund unrest all over the world with oil money. Using bitcoin will not change this, it's wishfull thinking by Americans who have no idea how the rest of the world works (I know Stefan is Canadian but he focuses on US news 99% of time)
"Funding unrest" is not the same as "waging war".

There isn't anywhere close to enough oil money in the world to pay for invasions and multi-year occupations of Iraq and Afghanistan, for example.
acoindr
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1002

View Profile
May 11, 2014, 02:48:42 PM

Oh lord.  Do people actually take this guy seriously?  Just another shock jock like Alex Jones et al

What exactly did you find shocking? It's quite obvious the U.S. government has ballooned in size over 40 years and taken us to war over, quite frankly, lies. The dollar has been massively inflated, losing over 96% of its purchasing power since 1913. The fact is war is expensive. Yet there are those who do profit from it. That means in order to have war, where the people don't feel the financial cost you need to inflate the currency, something not possible if it's restrained by a hard gold standard.

Shocking? You don't find it shocking the government took us to war over lies? Or has been spying on us in violation of the 4th Amendment, treating innocent people like criminals including invasive pat downs at airports? What's shocking to me is you feeling everything is as it should be.
counter

Activity: 798

Time is on our side, yes it is!

View Profile
May 13, 2014, 04:09:23 AM

What exactly did you find shocking? It's quite obvious the U.S. government has ballooned in size over 40 years and taken us to war over, quite frankly, lies. The dollar has been massively inflated, losing over 96% of its purchasing power since 1913. The fact is war is expensive. Yet there are those who do profit from it. That means in order to have war, where the people don't feel the financial cost you need to inflate the currency, something not possible if it's restrained by a hard gold standard.

Shocking? You don't find it shocking the government took us to war over lies? Or has been spying on us in violation of the 4th Amendment, treating innocent people like criminals including invasive pat downs at airports? What's shocking to me is you feeling everything is as it should be.

Seems like people are shocked by the truth and will have no problem trying to tear the head of the messenger..  I'm always amazed how someone can hear such damning information and attack the person bringing them the info.
twiifm

View Profile
May 13, 2014, 04:27:16 AM

Seems like people are shocked by the truth and will have no problem trying to tear the head of the messenger..  I'm always amazed how someone can hear such damning information and attack the person bringing them the info.

What he says is factual but he politicizes it.  That's why you shouldn't listen to him.  He's a doom and gloomer w no valid proposal to fix the problems he bitches about.  Typical cynic that tries to rile up controversy

justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
May 13, 2014, 04:32:00 AM

What he says is factual but he politicizes it.  That's why you shouldn't listen to him.  He's a doom and gloomer w no valid proposal to fix the problems he bitches about.  Typical cynic that tries to rile up controversy
You've clearly never listened to any of his work, so why are you talking about him as if you have?
counter

Activity: 798

Time is on our side, yes it is!

View Profile
May 13, 2014, 04:33:05 AM

I like him but don't really follow this work alot.  I do respect what he has to say because he seems knowledgeable and well spoken.  He may just be a doom and gloomer but he has facts to back up his arguments and that is what makes me listen to what he has to say.

twiifm

View Profile
May 13, 2014, 05:53:30 AM

You've clearly never listened to any of his work, so why are you talking about him as if you have?

Yes I have.  I like w some of his shows.  Like the one about Trayvon Martin.  But he's like all political commentators.  He says things he knows are controversial.
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2384

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
May 13, 2014, 05:54:57 AM

I was curious about this as well.

Wars and currencies I am curious about, the civil war, the 100 years war.

I know the confederacy had confederate dollars, did the union have fiat currency not backed by gold?

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
Beliathon

Merit: 1000

https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU

View Profile WWW
May 13, 2014, 06:06:15 AM

Plus there are several outrageous claims with no basis in reality.
Yes, and then he explains the reasons why, in brief.

If you want further information on the topic, a google search on "military industrial complex" should prove fruitful.

I know the confederacy had confederate dollars, did the union have fiat currency not backed by gold?
Not until after the turn of the century, when they needed to fund "The Great War".

Remember Aaron Swartz, a 26 year old computer scientist who died defending the free flow of information.
twiifm

View Profile
May 13, 2014, 06:27:07 AM
Last edit: May 13, 2014, 06:40:31 AM by twiifm

Salmon P Chase, Sec of Treasury, he took out a bank loan from the NY banks and convert it to gold instead of spending the deposit.   The effect was that it depleted the  gold reserves of all the NY banks.  Because the banks has no reserve they had to "supend convertibility". Then he created the greenback legal tender so banks can back their deposits.  He forced the banks to accept fiat money thereby giving value to the greenback.  Pretty shrewed guy.

The Union has the upper hand because they financed the war w gold while the Confederacy had to use cotton barter
5flags

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

Professional anarchist

View Profile WWW
May 13, 2014, 06:33:50 AM

What he says is factual but he politicizes it.  That's why you shouldn't listen to him.

So you agree he's right, but you want to ignore him because you don't like how he said it?

He's a doom and gloomer w no valid proposal to fix the problems he bitches about. 

I'm pretty sure the primary purpose of his talk was to illustrate that currencies in limited supply, e.g. gold or Bitcoin, were specifically one way to "fix the problems he bitches about".

This is pretty trivial to understand. If a government had to get money from the people to fund a war, rather than just magically creating it, there would be far, FAR fewer wars.

http://5fla.gs - @5flags on Twitter
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2384

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
May 13, 2014, 06:35:47 AM

Salmon P Chase, Sec of Treasury, he took out a bank loan and convert it to gold thereby depleting gold reserves of all the NY banks.  Then he created the greenback so banks issued greenback notes instead of gold notes

The Union has the upper hand because they finance the war w gold while the Confederacy had to use cotton barter

Interesting, thank you.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
twiifm

View Profile
May 13, 2014, 06:44:39 AM

What he says is factual but he politicizes it.  That's why you shouldn't listen to him.

So you agree he's right, but you want to ignore him because you don't like how he said it?

He's a doom and gloomer w no valid proposal to fix the problems he bitches about.

I'm pretty sure the primary purpose of his talk was to illustrate that currencies in limited supply, e.g. gold or Bitcoin, were specifically one way to "fix the problems he bitches about".

This is pretty trivial to understand. If a government had to get money from the people to fund a war, rather than just magically creating it, there would be far, FAR fewer wars.

I don't agree that he's right.  I just said what he says is factual.  I just explained how fiat came into existence during Civil War.  Yes it was result of war financing.  However I don't politicize the information

Having fewer wars?  Lack of money never stopped anyone from going to war.  But if you go to war you need to finance it somehow
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: