Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 01:49:10 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoinica's "guaranteed liquidity"  (Read 2570 times)
rebuilder (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1615
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 16, 2012, 09:21:57 PM

What exactly does it mean when Bitcoinica say they have 50BTC guaranteed liquidity both ways for market orders? I thought it is a way for them to guarantee you get the price quoted if you use the instant buy function, but I placed a market order around 6.8 (it was moving pretty wildly) and had it execute for values between 6.6293 and 7.1312 during that big spike. Basically I tried to catch the downspike but before the order got executed in the queue, the upspike came.

So anyway, what exactly does the guaranteed liquidity stand for?

Selling out to advertisers shows you respect neither yourself nor the rest of us.
---------------------------------------------------------------
Too many low-quality posts? Mods not keeping things clean enough? Self-moderated threads let you keep signature spammers and trolls out!
Remember that Bitcoin is still beta software. Don't put all of your money into BTC!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
rebuilder (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 16, 2012, 09:25:14 PM

Or maybe I should think of the obvious explanation first - it's 50 BTC combined, for all trades on Bitcoinica. Is this correct?

Selling out to advertisers shows you respect neither yourself nor the rest of us.
Too many low-quality posts? Mods not keeping things clean enough? Self-moderated threads let you keep signature spammers and trolls out!
Crypt_Current

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

Shame on everything; regret nothing.

View Profile
January 16, 2012, 09:25:24 PM

What exactly does it mean when Bitcoinica say they have 50BTC guaranteed liquidity both ways for market orders? I thought it is a way for them to guarantee you get the price quoted if you use the instant buy function, but I placed a market order around 6.8 (it was moving pretty wildly) and had it execute for values between 6.6293 and 7.1312 during that big spike. Basically I tried to catch the downspike but before the order got executed in the queue, the upspike came.

It just means any order larger than 50 BTC gets executed in 50 BTC chunks.  Each subsequent chunk may be executed at a different price, especially in a quickly moving market.

10% off at CampBX for LIFE:  https://campbx.com/main.php?r=C9a5izBQ5vq  ----  Authorized BitVoucher MEGA reseller (& BTC donations appreciated):  https://bitvoucher.co/affl/1HkvK8o8WWDpCTSQGnek7DH9gT1LWeV5s3/
LTC:  LRL6vb6XBRrEEifB73DiEiYZ9vbRy99H41  NMC:  NGb2spdTGpWj8THCPyCainaXenwDhAW1ZT
rebuilder (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 16, 2012, 09:26:58 PM

It just means any order larger than 50 BTC gets executed in 50 BTC chunks.  Each subsequent chunk may be executed at a different price, especially in a quickly moving market.

That doesn't seem to have held. My order was under that limit.

notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
January 16, 2012, 09:27:47 PM

From http://www.bitcoinica.com/pages/faq:

How do you guarantee liquidity?
Bitcoinica is similar to a Forex brokerage. Besides accepting orders from our wonderful users, we also trade with other exchanges (primarily Mt. Gox) to balance our portfolio. So that we always have something for you to do margin trading or short selling without always being forced to bet against you. Currently we guarantee up to ฿50 of liquidity for market orders in both directions.

Not sure that explains it, but thought I'd share.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
SkRRJyTC
Legendary

Activity: 1008

View Profile
January 16, 2012, 09:31:14 PM

From http://www.bitcoinica.com/pages/faq:

How do you guarantee liquidity?
Bitcoinica is similar to a Forex brokerage. Besides accepting orders from our wonderful users, we also trade with other exchanges (primarily Mt. Gox) to balance our portfolio. So that we always have something for you to do margin trading or short selling without always being forced to bet against you. Currently we guarantee up to ฿50 of liquidity for market orders in both directions.

Not sure that explains it, but thought I'd share.

Not that it says this on the website but I think all that goes out the window when the mighty ( * ) appears.
rebuilder (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 16, 2012, 09:33:31 PM

Hm. Now that I think about it (my short term memory isn't the best...) I may have placed several smaller orders in quick succession. It's a bit weird that the orderbook only shows a price for one of them, 6.841, executed at 6.6293, and the ones that got executed higher have no price listed.

Well, it may well be my fumble, but I do remember first hitting buy, then a few seconds later seeing the sell price skyrocket on the charts, and sure enough I was the proud owner of several bitcoins with a base price of over 7 USD. Can the "no reserve" situation cause market orders set at one price to execute at a higher price if they get held up? Do the orders get a price set if the bull's eye is winking, or do they simply get executed at any price as soon as buying becomes possible?

SkRRJyTC
Legendary

View Profile
January 16, 2012, 09:35:38 PM

Hm. Now that I think about it (my short term memory isn't the best...) I may have placed several smaller orders in quick succession. It's a bit weird that the orderbook only shows a price for one of them, 6.841, executed at 6.6293, and the ones that got executed higher have no price listed.

Well, it may well be my fumble, but I do remember first hitting buy, then a few seconds later seeing the sell price skyrocket on the charts, and sure enough I was the proud owner of several bitcoins with a base price of over 7 USD. Can the "no reserve" situation cause market orders set at one price to execute at a higher price if they get held up? Do the orders get a price set if the bull's eye is winking, or do they simply get executed at any price as soon as buying becomes possible?

If you leave a market order waiting during no reserve it will get filled at whatever the price is when the winking eye goes away.
Mushoz

Bitbuy

View Profile WWW
January 16, 2012, 09:35:52 PM

They get executed at any price as soon as buying becomes possible. Therefor you have to be very careful when using market orders when the asterisk is active, but even without it you have to be very careful. As you already noted, there's a 1-4 second delay on orders executing depending on a lot of things, so you might not get the price that you want to pay. Therefor I suggest you use limit orders to make sure your prices don't pass a certain limit.

www.bitbuy.nl - Koop eenvoudig, snel en goedkoop bitcoins bij Bitbuy!
rebuilder (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 16, 2012, 09:36:50 PM

They get executed at any price as soon as buying becomes possible. Therefor you have to be very careful when using market orders when the asterisk is active, but even without it you have to be very careful. As you already noted, there's a 1-4 second delay on orders executing depending on a lot of things, so you might not get the price that you want to pay. Therefor I suggest you use limit orders to make sure your prices don't pass a certain limit.

It tends to blink on and off a lot, doesn't it... But yes. Lesson learned. Only use limits (and stops of course)

SkRRJyTC
Legendary

View Profile
January 16, 2012, 09:42:28 PM

Bitcoinica's "guaranteed liquidity" = unless they run out of money.
zhoutong
VIP

Activity: 490
Merit: 502

View Profile WWW
January 17, 2012, 01:35:16 AM

Multiple orders may be executed at different prices.

A large order will give you the market price at the exact moment, and even larger orders will be split into ฿50 chunks.

Multiple orders and "chunks" are treated equally.

Founder of NameTerrific (https://www.nameterrific.com/). Co-founder of CoinJar (https://coinjar.io/)

Donations for my future Bitcoin projects: 19Uk3tiD5XkBcmHyQYhJxp9QHoub7RosVb
SkRRJyTC
Legendary

View Profile
January 17, 2012, 01:40:53 AM

Zhou why does your algorithm allow for these red flag events to happen so often?  If you are making money on every trade why do you run out of money so often?
RandyMarsh

Activity: 237
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 17, 2012, 01:53:51 AM

Why not disclose Bitcoinicas reserve balances?

Stan?! STAN?!?!
bittenbob

Activity: 560

View Profile
January 17, 2012, 02:02:15 AM

Zhou why does your algorithm allow for these red flag events to happen so often?  If you are making money on every trade why do you run out of money so often?

More importantly when these red flag event occur then the market always seems to move in the opposite position (cant short = market goes up, cant go long = market decrease). Is Zhou trading against these flags and if he says no why should we believe him? He would definitely have the capital and the means to do so with bitcoinica.
pirateat40
Avast Ye!

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

"Yes I am a pirate, 200 years too late."

View Profile WWW
January 17, 2012, 02:10:34 AM

In true Forex fashion when you click that button and they cant get that rate for you it should read "Rates Changed".  Now Bitcoinica just decides to treat it like a stock market order and place it when they can.  Which is really not right and the reason I only use Limit orders.

Crypt_Current

Shame on everything; regret nothing.

View Profile
January 17, 2012, 02:31:25 AM

Why not disclose Bitcoinicas reserve balances?

Probably for the same reason I don't like to share my margin balance  Tongue

10% off at CampBX for LIFE:  https://campbx.com/main.php?r=C9a5izBQ5vq  ----  Authorized BitVoucher MEGA reseller (& BTC donations appreciated):  https://bitvoucher.co/affl/1HkvK8o8WWDpCTSQGnek7DH9gT1LWeV5s3/
LTC:  LRL6vb6XBRrEEifB73DiEiYZ9vbRy99H41  NMC:  NGb2spdTGpWj8THCPyCainaXenwDhAW1ZT
ydenys

Activity: 96
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 17, 2012, 02:42:44 AM

More importantly when these red flag event occur then the market always seems to move in the opposite position (cant short = market goes up, cant go long = market decrease). Is Zhou trading against these flags and if he says no why should we believe him? He would definitely have the capital and the means to do so with bitcoinica.

+1. It now had become the dreaded ‘Bitconica law’ and seems to limit all sudden market movements (which is a good thing, arguably). This is until Gox wakes up and starts to provide proper services.
zhoutong
VIP

Activity: 490
Merit: 502

View Profile WWW
January 17, 2012, 03:03:02 AM

In true Forex fashion when you click that button and they cant get that rate for you it should read "Rates Changed".  Now Bitcoinica just decides to treat it like a stock market order and place it when they can.  Which is really not right and the reason I only use Limit orders.

I used Forex.com's trading panel before, and actually they allow you to set a percentage limit for "Instant Execution". So basically you're placing a limit order, but if it can't be executed immediately (due to "Rates Changed"), the order is abandoned.

However, market order is market order. If you specifically place a market order, it shouldn't be canceled due to "Rates Changed".

Founder of NameTerrific (https://www.nameterrific.com/). Co-founder of CoinJar (https://coinjar.io/)

Donations for my future Bitcoin projects: 19Uk3tiD5XkBcmHyQYhJxp9QHoub7RosVb
SkRRJyTC
Legendary

View Profile
January 17, 2012, 04:13:48 PM

Huh
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: