Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 02:39:39 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Kinda bummed about Mycelium's Trader app...  (Read 944 times)
Beef Supreme (OP)

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

Put your trust in MATH.

View Profile
May 07, 2014, 04:18:22 AM

I was loving this at first, till I realized that ALL my trades tie to one address.  When I receive money it goes to my local trader account.  Well, when I spent money, guess what, it went from the SAME account.

If I trade with person A, then that person will know my trade address.

If I trade with person B, "

If I trade with person C, who is really from a three letter agency, then person C will know EXACTLY how much I spent and received using Mycelium.  And that person could also trade with person A or B to find out what their address is also, effectively linking the trades with real people, and dates!  Why are dates important?  Well, having the date+amount makes it easy to calculate your TAX LIABILITY.  

The blockchain will make it entirely transparent.  

If you try to detach the Local trader account address, it will tell you that all your trade history will be deleted, but you can resurrect it by using the address again.

This is fucked up.  So, they have it set up where you can only be anonymous if you want ZERO trade history, and that means the trust/ranking resetting to zero after each trade.

I got a feeling this app wasn't exactly designed by a team of libertarians if you know what I mean Uncle Sam.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"With e-currency based on cryptographic proof, without the need to trust a third party middleman, money can be secure and transactions effortless." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
ncsupanda
Legendary

Activity: 1628
Merit: 1012

View Profile
May 07, 2014, 04:28:08 AM

I was loving this at first, till I realized that ALL my trades tie to one address.  When I receive money it goes to my local trader account.  Well, when I spent money, guess what, it went from the SAME account.

If I trade with person C, who is really from a three letter agency, then person C will know EXACTLY how much I spent and received using Mycelium.  And that person could also trade with person A or B to find out what their address is also, effectively linking the trades with real people, and dates!  Why are dates important?  Well, having the date+amount makes it easy to calculate your TAX LIABILITY.  

If you try to detach the Local trader account address, it will tell you that all your trade history will be deleted, but you can resurrect it by using the address again.

This is fucked up.  So, they have it set up where you can only be anonymous if you want ZERO trade history, and that means the trust/ranking resetting to zero after each trade.

I got a feeling this app wasn't exactly designed by a team of libertarians if you know what I mean Uncle Sam.

-Uses a currency that uses a blockchain, an open ledger of every single transaction
-Upset that someone can see his transactions

Kind of a flaw in logic. We know where all of the gox coins went, because of the blockchain. But we don't know whose they are (well, besides Karpeles').
Beef Supreme (OP)

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

Put your trust in MATH.

View Profile
May 07, 2014, 11:18:25 AM

Are you daft?

I am upset that I cannot use a different address for each transaction on my trader account.

Reading comprehension much?
Jan
Legendary

Activity: 1043
Merit: 1002

View Profile
May 14, 2014, 11:13:12 AM

The address that the local trader account is tied to is only used for authentication your account using bitcoin message signing, and encrypting the chat between buyer and seller using an elliptic curve variant of Diffie Hellmann
The address you send from / receive to depends on your current address selection, just like when you normally send/receive with the wallet. If you happen to have your local trader address selected, then yes, this is the one being used, otherwise not.
Our next big feature is HD wallets, and using new addresses for every receive and change.

Mycelium let's you hold your private keys private.
Este Nuno
Legendary

Activity: 826
Merit: 1000

amarha

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 04:27:02 PM

Our next big feature is HD wallets, and using new addresses for every receive and change.

There you go. No need to be angry. It's still being developed.
_Miracle

Activity: 906
Merit: 659

Do due diligence

View Profile WWW
May 18, 2014, 07:07:09 PM

That's good to know about Mycelium.
I'm still over 100 miles from anyone so I haven't used it enough to catch that.

I think you are one of the closest to me Beef Supreme.

There 'used' to be more truth in forums than anywhere else.  Twitter:  @cryptobitchicks  Spock: "I am expressing multiple attitudes simultaneously. To which are you referring?"  INTJ-A
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: