Bitcoin Forum
June 23, 2024, 04:15:52 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: CIYAM - Project Plan Outline and Progress Updates  (Read 14655 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
brock33

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 02, 2015, 04:15:11 AM

This is all very fascinating. Just trying to get my mind around the basic concept right now. Project Management software is a good idea, but it depends on what features are included and if people that are used to MS Project and other mainstream software - would make the transition.

Going to follow this post...........
CIYAM (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1890
Merit: 1078

Ian Knowles - CIYAM Lead Developer

View Profile WWW
February 02, 2015, 04:49:26 AM

The key thing that we are focusing on is the development of a platform that makes it very simple to create decentralised applications (through the use of Software Manufacturing).

I don't expect that everyone is going to jump into using decentralised applications for a while but preparing a number of "packages" to do things like handling a Blog, Forum and Project Management should make the transition easier IMO.

With CIYAM anyone can create 100% generated C++ web applications in literally minutes.

GPG Public Key | 1ciyam3htJit1feGa26p2wQ4aw6KFTejU
CIYAM (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 12, 2015, 11:16:24 AM

The OP has now been updated to the following:

CIYAM Project Plan

Now that the CIYAM project has had over 1,000 commits on github (https://github.com/ciyam/ciyam) and that our small but dedicated team (of mostly unpaid contributors) is coming together it seems appropriate that we list the main goals and task areas that we will be persuing throughout the year.

Major Goal

Our major goal is to create nothing less than a new kind of decentralised internet via a development platform that uses Software Manufacturing to allow people to easily create new blockchains and blockchain applications (without even requiring application creators to write source code).

No Coin Or IPO

It should be clearly noted that unlike most other such projects we are not going to be creating a currency at all (but we are creating a Token package that will support trustless transfers of ownership between parties).

There will also be no IPO - any funds raised will be via crowdfunding (with the use of the Crowdfund AT which we designed and created).

History And Direction

This project originated from a commercial software system which is still being used today and has been worked on since as early as 2001 (although full-time work on it only began in 2006). It was open sourced in 2012 and at that stage was still intended for the creation of traditional 3-tier DB applications (such as "CIYAM Open" which is an application that was 100% generated).

In 2014 work began on changing the platform to be suitable for working with a blockchain. A Wallet package to be able to work with Bitcoin and clones was also developed with the idea that this platform will allow people to create applications such as virtual currency exchanges over a P2P network secured by a new low-energy kind of "proof" system (that is unlike any existing approach).

Current Progress

The Software Manufacturing concept has been tried and very well tested so although some refinements will need to be made overall this area of the project has been pretty much completed.

The new proof concept has already been analysed by a qualified math expert (a white paper containing the math analysis of the approach will be published) and the basic algorithm to implement it has been devised.

A "file system" that is very similar to that used for "git" has been developed which will act as the backbone for the P2P network to operate (so file sharing is a key part of the design also).

The blockchain implementation is well underway although it will require quite a bit more work to be completed as will the peer implementation.

The Token package is nearing completion but some rework of the existing packages will be required in order to make them suitable for use in a blockchain environment.

Main Task Areas

Blockchain - the new proof algorithm implementation needs to be completed and then a lot of testing is needed to ensure it functions as expected.

IDE - some further work on the integrated development environment will be needed to make it easy to construct blockchains and blockchain applications.

Applications - It is hoped that when we go "live" we will be able to present something that looks pretty much identical to http://ciyam.org/open so this will require some rework of several existing packages that are not currently suitable for blockchain usage.

Deployment - the CIYAM Server VM based upon Open SUSE has been created for this purpose but further work will need to be done to ensure it is very simple to set up a node (and some research into how the development with VM technology is going with Android and other OS systems).

Marketing - we have basically no funding for this so at this stage we will be slowly raising our profile with the help of our Automated Transactions (AT) creation.

With CIYAM anyone can create 100% generated C++ web applications in literally minutes.

mmmaybe

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
February 12, 2015, 12:01:02 PM

Great to see the constant progress of CIYAM  Smiley Burst will do its best with ATs!

CIYAM (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 13, 2015, 01:04:49 PM

To get an idea about what Software Manufacturing is: http://ciyam.org/docs/methodology.html is an introduction to the concept (which I am fairly sure is going to change the way that software is created in the future).

To find out about how Software Manufacturing came into existence: http://ciyam.org/open/?cmd=view&data=20121221010507352000_P&ident=M100V112&chksum=b3d538bf (it isn't as long as most of Gavin or Vitalik's blog entries and does have pics).

Anyone interested to understand a bit more of the "nuts and bolts" might also be interested to read this: http://ciyam.org/open/?cmd=view&data=20150210150346737000&ident=M100V120&chksum=ecd893c2 (which shows how one of the main tools used to do Software Manufacturing works).

CIYAM (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 14, 2015, 06:26:03 AM

Unfortunately Jan Tenner has moved on to do work for blockchain.info but luckily before he left he created our new logo (which I've put at the top of the OP).

The CIYAM Developers would like to thank him for his contribution.

mmmaybe

Activity: 462

View Profile WWW
February 14, 2015, 06:38:25 AM

To get an idea about what Software Manufacturing is: http://ciyam.org/docs/methodology.html is an introduction to the concept (which I am fairly sure is going to change the way that software is created in the future).

To find out about how Software Manufacturing came into existence: http://ciyam.org/open/?cmd=view&data=20121221010507352000_P&ident=M100V112&chksum=b3d538bf (it isn't as long as most of Gavin or Vitalik's blog entries and does have pics).

Anyone interested to understand a bit more of the "nuts and bolts" might also be interested to read this: http://ciyam.org/open/?cmd=view&data=20150210150346737000&ident=M100V120&chksum=ecd893c2 (which shows how one of the main tools used to do Software Manufacturing works).

Thanks for the links, only read the first one so the others will be fun to attend Smiley

CIYAM (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 15, 2015, 12:48:38 PM
Last edit: February 15, 2015, 01:07:57 PM by CIYAM

For anyone who is keen to do some "early testing" of the CIYAM system a VM can be downloaded here: https://susestudio.com/a/kp8B3G/ciyam-server (it should be noted that this version of CIYAM is not a blockchain system so is only useful for learning about how to use the IDE and build apps via Software Manufacturing).

Once you have installed the VM you can log in as "root" with password "linux" then type: ./setup

(it will update the OS and grab the latest version of CIYAM from github and then build and install it as well as set up apache2 to work with it)

excword

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 15, 2015, 05:19:33 PM

Will try!
CIYAM (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 15, 2015, 05:24:59 PM

Will try!

If you are keen to play then I will help you to create your first app (you can PM me for Skype contact if you like).

If you are not familiar with VMs then you might find the VMPlayer from SUSE to be a helpful tool (but we haven't created instructions for using that yet sorry) - I myself use libvirt (and I use it with only a console) so I might not be the best to help when using GUI VM managers (@vbcs has more experience with that).

CloakT

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 15, 2015, 06:03:56 PM

Unfortunately Jan Tenner has moved on to do work for blockchain.info but luckily before he left he created our new logo (which I've put at the top of the OP).

http://ciyam.org/logo-gradient-128.png

The CIYAM Developers would like to thank him for his contribution.

Is Ciyam looking for a new designer?
CIYAM (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 15, 2015, 06:07:22 PM

Is Ciyam looking for a new designer?

Yes but at this stage there is no budget for that (perhaps check again in a few months).

CIYAM (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 20, 2015, 05:01:04 PM

One thing that I have perhaps neglected to spend much time promoting is the CIYAM Safe (https://susestudio.com/a/kp8B3G/ciyam-safe) which is a 100% air-gapped (using QR codes and cams) method of signing Bitcoin txs *offline* (if the exchanges that were recently hacked had of been using that then they should still have their cold wallet funds safely stored).

It combines Bitcoin with GPG (along with Scrypt for password hardening) to provide arguably the safest offline storage system for Bitcoin.

Unlike Armory and other "wallets" it doesn't try to be super user friendly or handle txs with a large number of UTXO's but instead focuses on the concept that when you have cold storage you are really "locking up" Bitcoin in specific amounts (say 10 BTC per address) for later retrieval (it was used to hold 250 BTC on behalf of this forum for around a year).

It has been used by CIYAM Open since 2012 and no BTC has gone missing using it.

If you used it with a Faraday cage that allows for cams (and that tech does exist) then you have zero concern of things like NSA injected firmware attacks (recently shown to be an issue with HDDs from many leading manufacturers). Although no-one has shown whether the same sort of attacks can be done with USB I think anyone storing a large amount of BTC offline might want to consider the benefit of using QR comms vs. trusting that their USB device isn't going to end up causing them to lose their offline BTC.

CIYAM (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 01, 2015, 02:57:33 PM
Last edit: March 05, 2015, 01:47:19 PM by CIYAM

An update just to say that the blockchain code is progressing well (you can check https://github.com/ciyam/ciyam/commits/master to keep a track of what is being developed).

Automatic "checkpoints" are a key feature now and blockchain rewinds (back as far as the last checkpoint) are now working (these are needed to reorganise a blockchain in the case of nefarious block minting).

Also the ability to "prune" old checkpoint blocks and transactions means that a CIYAM blockchain will always be compact.

tobeaj2mer01
Legendary

Activity: 1098
Merit: 1000

Angel investor.

View Profile
March 05, 2015, 01:19:18 PM

I am always keeping an eye on this project.

Sirx: SQyHJdSRPk5WyvQ5rJpwDUHrLVSvK2ffFa
CIYAM (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 06, 2015, 04:01:40 PM

Unfortunately I had to move ciyam.org (and would not recommend anyone to use bitronictech.net for VPS hosting).

The new IP address for ciyam.org is: 212.71.247.214

It is now being hosted on a Linode (in the UK) which I think should be much more reliable (also the RapidSSL cert had expired but I fixed that today after moving over to Linode).

If anyone else is facing the same sort of clusterfuck problem with their VPS that I had (server constantly going down, emails being IP rejected due to spammers using their service and no reminders to renew essential items such as SSL certs) you should check out this: https://www.linode.com/docs/migrate-to-linode/disk-images/migrating-a-server-to-your-linode

Don't let yourself get "trapped" by a shitty service (you can escape them without their help at all).

Jybrael

Activity: 294

View Profile
March 06, 2015, 05:40:26 PM

Really great to see re-branding in progress. I hope it works out for you and I will soon check the project out.
CIYAM (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 09, 2015, 04:08:10 PM

Basic blockchain functionality has been completed (including rewind and checkpoint logic).

A huge advantage that CIYAM blockchains have over all other existing ones is an automatic checkpoint system (that will let you prune old blocks and transactions from history).

Work is now underway of converting the legacy "packages" to work with the blockchain approach (the "Standard" package has already been converted and the User package is expected to be completed in the next few days).

CIYAM (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 19, 2015, 11:17:06 AM

The User package has now been completed (took quite a bit longer than had been expected due to various changes needing to be made to handle the encryption of the password hash in particular).

A decision will need to be made about whether to next work on converting other packages to be suitable for blockchain applications or to instead start on the first actual blockchain application implementation with the Standard, User and Token packages that are ready for use.

vbcs

Activity: 137
Merit: 100

AT - Automated Transactions - CIYAM Developer

View Profile
March 19, 2015, 11:20:43 AM

Nice to see CIYAM is progressing! What other packages you have in mind? I guess for proof of concept reasons, we can have a simple app using the already in place packages.

1ELCU3hahFLMPPqsoHS2Mg2Rqjya6VXjAW
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: