Bitcoin Forum
June 25, 2024, 06:29:49 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: CIYAM - Project Plan Outline and Progress Updates  (Read 14655 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
CIYAM (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1890
Merit: 1078

Ian Knowles - CIYAM Lead Developer

View Profile WWW
March 19, 2015, 11:26:33 AM

What other packages you have in mind?

Here is a list of the relevant packages that already exist in CIYAM (but are not yet "blockchain" ready):

Blog
Email
Event
Forum
Group
Holding
Itinerary
Ledger
Project
Schedule
Timezone
Token
Transaction
Wallet

If we wanted to create a blockchain equivalent application to CIYAM Open (http://ciyam.org/open) then we'd need the Blog, Forum, Message and Project packages.

With CIYAM anyone can create 100% generated C++ web applications in literally minutes.

GPG Public Key | 1ciyam3htJit1feGa26p2wQ4aw6KFTejU
CIYAM (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 04, 2015, 04:44:51 PM

Just an update to let people know that progress is continuing (admittedly at a slow but at least steady rate).

The "standard protocol" has been recently extended to make it fairly straight forward to manually create a blockchain (without txs at this stage).

The next step is to build this capability into the "loop-back peer support" so that a test blockchain can be constructed using just the one computer and after this has been tested blockchains built by multiple peers will next be tested before txs are then integrated.

For those who have been following AT (Automated Transactions) you might be pleased to know that a second blockchain (Qora) will be going live with AT very soon (perhaps as soon as one week from this post).

With CIYAM anyone can create 100% generated C++ web applications in literally minutes.

jantenner81

Activity: 228
Merit: 100

CIYAM - UI/UX design

View Profile WWW
April 11, 2015, 02:15:40 PM
Last edit: April 11, 2015, 03:56:04 PM by jantenner81

Dear community!

Just want to officially confirm, i'm back!
I'm UI/UX developer and i'll assisting on marketing related tasks in future also!
Stay tuned!

Happy to be back Smiley
Cheers
jan

AT - Automated Transactions
CIYAM | Developer
CIYAM (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 14, 2015, 03:23:27 PM
Last edit: April 14, 2015, 03:33:28 PM by CIYAM

Great to have Jan back with us and some good news in regards to the CIYAM blockchain implementation.

Initial tests for peers being able to get new blocks from other peers are working perfectly (there is a lot more testing to do though).

One thing worth noting is that the CIYAM peer protocol is very much like traditional *nix protocols (text not binary) and has very few commands:

Code:
commands:
=========
chk <tag_or_hash> [<nonce>] (check if peer has a file or hash the content of a file with a nonce)
get <tag_or_hash> [<name>] (fetch a file from the files area)
put <hash> (stores a file to the files area)
pip <addr> (exchange a random peer's ip address)
tls (start TLS session)
bye (terminate session)

CIYAM (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 16, 2015, 07:19:10 PM

Basic blockchain is now working (but needs a lot more testing) - if anyone is interested to run a node (and no - there is no financial reward for doing so) then contact me via PM.

To be very clear - the CIYAM blockchain is not a currency but instead aims to be a replacement for the current internet (perhaps an overly ambitious aim but why not "shoot for the moon"?).

One of the key objectives is to create a decentralised exchange for "coins" (and services).

CIYAM (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 07, 2015, 08:29:14 AM

A first very simplistic "application" using CIYAM with a blockchain has been successfully tested.

The application doesn't really do anything except let you update your own User record although it does include an encrypted "email" field (so that data encryption and decryption have been tested at the same time).

Although the application itself isn't much to write home about the fact that separate CIYAM server instances are now able to synchronise both their blockchains and blockchain applications is a big step forward.

In the next week the work will be focused on "rewinds" which is how a CIYAM blockchain system will handle "re-orgs" for its applications.

CIYAM (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 11, 2015, 03:03:28 PM

The "rewind" implementation has been completed and tested (so far no problems found).

Some time was lost reworking the way that blockchain applications are supported but now this work has been completed a single CIYAM application server can run both traditional and blockchain applications concurrently.

This will allow for a first blockchain application to be demonstrated on ciyam.org whilst keeping http://ciyam.org/open running as is (although that will probably still be a few months away from completion).

CIYAM (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 05, 2015, 02:13:17 PM

Initial testing of a simple application using a blockchain versions of the User and Message packages has been performed.

There were some teething issues but I'm pleased to say the application is working as expected (many thanks to @vbcs for setting up a VM to help with the testing).

Confirmation times were a little slower than I would have hoped for (up to around a minute) but with only two minting accounts it is perhaps not surprising that some blocks were slow (and some adjustments to the basic blockchain settings will likely improve that performance).

Currently txs that are not locally created do not actually appear until they are included in a block but this could be changed in order to have unconfirmed txs appear quicker (something I'll be looking into next).

After that work has been completed and some further testing has been performed a blockchain version of the Blog package will be created.

CIYAM (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 05, 2015, 04:54:14 PM

Non-local txs are now treated basically like local txs until confirmed (making the UX much quicker).

Attached files are also now working with the CIYAM blockchain and if they are identified as being "private" then they are automatically encrypted and decrypted.

Work has begun on the blockchain Blog package which hopefully will be nearing completion by next week.

zaph3t

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

SynqCrypto Team

View Profile WWW
October 06, 2015, 03:06:47 AM

Nice looking project. I will bookmark this for future updates. Good luck!

CIYAM (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 15, 2015, 04:22:05 PM

Work has begun on the blockchain Blog package which hopefully will be nearing completion by next week.

Unfortunately the Blog package work has been delayed as I decided to rework the way that encrypted fields were being handled (which will also be applied to the attached files for consistency).

I will be reworking the Message package to use the new encrypted field implementation before I start on the Blog package (a delay of perhaps a week).

One thing that anyone following this project will discover is that it is not being rushed (nor is it chasing VC funds that would probably force it to be rushed). The project actually began many years ago as an example of a new way to create 3-tier web applications and is now evolving into a new way to create blockchain applications.

CIYAM (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 20, 2015, 05:07:16 PM

The Message package rework is almost complete (a commit will most likely be pushed tomorrow after some final tweaks and testing).

What is really nice now is that the the end-user doesn't need to do anything to encrypt the content (it just happens automatically although there is an Encrypt checkbox that can be unchecked if one purposely wants to send a message that is not encrypted).

It might also be useful to add an icon to the message to indicate whether it is encrypted (have just added that to the "to do" list for tomorrow).

CIYAM (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 22, 2015, 05:08:52 PM

The commit for the Message package changes has now been pushed (and it is a big one).

For now I've decided not to do the icon thing (mostly because I can't work out what would be best to use) but I think having an Encrypt checkbox is reasonable enough for now.

Some further testing to happen over the weekend then I'll start work on the Blog package.

CIYAM (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 11, 2015, 04:21:30 PM

Work on the Blog package is proceeding, however, working on this has introduced some new challenges.

One of the problems is having "tags" (useful for searching) but limiting their creation so that the application doesn't get attacked (with an unreasonably large list of tags).

CIYAM (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 29, 2015, 01:16:01 PM
Last edit: November 30, 2015, 02:28:11 AM by CIYAM

To get around the problems of potential quantity attacks - limits were introduced for things like the number of tags per Blog Entry and the number of Blog Tags that can be created by an account.

Encryption has not been addressed at this stage but I've decided to change the focus of this project away from the packages for now and instead towards the more technical side of how a DB can work seamlessly with a blockchain.

CIYAM (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 14, 2015, 01:08:10 PM

After taking some time off to relax and recoup I have unlocked this topic to continue reporting on the progress of CIYAM (and to those who sent me PM's requesting that I continue to update this topic many thanks for the support - it is good to know that I'm not the only one following this topic).

The blockchain version of the Blog package has now been completed and has been in testing for a couple of weeks now. No major issue has been found but some minor glitches and performance bottlenecks have been recently worked on.

CIYAM (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 16, 2015, 05:25:56 PM

Although unrelated to the main project I have taken off a few days to create a new computer language that I am quite excited about.

It is pretty much not like anything else around (although it has been already compared to "brainfuck") and the reason for its creation will be made apparent at a later time.

Rather than describe the whole thing in detail I'll just show a couple of examples:

Code:
@hello=`Hello`world!`
!hello

would result in the output:
Code:
Hello world!

a more sophisticated example is as follows:
Code:
@final=?=z_?!_~x_~y_~z
@reverse=?x!final_>x,y_<z,y_!reverse
@assign=@x=abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz_!reverse
@test=@x=?_@y=_@z=_?x!assign_!reverse
!test

which would result in the output:
Code:
zyxwvutsrqponmlkjihgfedcba

and if you then did this:
Code:
!test

you'd see this:
Code:
abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz

Smiley

bitspill
Legendary

Activity: 2086
Merit: 1015

View Profile
December 17, 2015, 05:13:58 AM

Although unrelated to the main project I have taken off a few days to create a new computer language that I am quite excited about.

It is pretty much not like anything else around (although it has been already compared to "brainfuck") and the reason for its creation will be made apparent at a later time.

Rather than describe the whole thing in detail I'll just show a couple of examples:

Code:
@hello=`Hello`world!`
!hello

would result in the output:
Code:
Hello world!
Ok, I can see that.

a more sophisticated example is as follows:
Code:
@final=?=z_?!_~x_~y_~z
@assign=@x=abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz_!reverse
@test=@x=?_@y=_@z=_?x!assign_!reverse
!test

which would result in the output:
Code:
zyxwvutsrqponmlkjihgfedcba

and if you then did this:
Code:
!test

you'd see this:
Code:
abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz

Smiley

You lost me.

I can sort of see that @something appears to define it, !something recalls it's value, I assume ? is an if statement of sorts, the rest of the things I just don't see yet but will probably understand when a fuller explanation comes later. Right now the biggest thing I don't see is why the second !test returns a-z instead of z-a again.

{ BitSpill }
CIYAM (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 17, 2015, 06:39:53 AM

I can sort of see that @something appears to define it, !something recalls it's value, I assume ? is an if statement of sorts, the rest of the things I just don't see yet but will probably understand when a fuller explanation comes later. Right now the biggest thing I don't see is why the second !test returns a-z instead of z-a again.

So what the ! actually does is "execute" the contents of a variable as instructions. You are correct that ? is a conditional (testing if a variable is empty or not) with the ! immediately following it being a variable whose contents will be executed if the condition fails.

The key function (and in this rather strange language functions and variable values are interchangeable) is this one:
Code:

and one thing you might notice straight away is the !reverse at the end of it which means that if you execute !reverse it will execute itself (as the last step). Noting that if the conditional fails then no further steps are executed (so you don't end up with an infinite loop).

To pull it apart step by step (noting that underbars are the step separators) we have:

?x!final which will check to see if x is empty and if so then the function final will be called (and no further step)
>x,y this is a special operation that removes the last character from x and then prepends it to y
<z,y this is another similar operation that removes the first character from y and the appends it to z
reverse executes the function again

The other other functions involved are test (the main entry point), assign (used to assign an initial value if one doesn't already exist) and final which stores and outputs the value of z and then deletes the variables x, y and z.

It is a "string reverse" and that is why if it is repeated the output is the reverse of the previous one.

Being basically just a functional language there are no line numbers so the order that the variables are defined in doesn't matter provided they all exist when you go to execute test. Smiley

CIYAM (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 18, 2015, 02:29:54 PM

The major performance bottlenecks with syncing the CIYAM blockchain (discovered with the Blog package testing) have now been resolved.

Even with the improvements it isn't a "speed demon" but then again it was never the goal to try and be "the fastest" (as I think that focus is best suited to more simple tx processing blockchains rather than a general purpose application system such as CIYAM).

What has been achieved is a system that works with a standard relational DB (MySQL) that is tied to a "git" like file-system (for receiving txs and blocks) to reliably keep multiple separate DBs in sync in accordance with the consensus rules that it uses.

Unfortunately we have no marketing team now nor much funding to "buy press" (which is what many other projects do but which I think is sort of lame anyway) so for now I am going to just play with some AI stuff that I've begun working on (the weird new language) and enjoy a bit of a break.

Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: