Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 05:26:05 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Internet Café: Considering accepting Bitcoins.  (Read 2679 times)
cunicula
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1003

View Profile
January 27, 2012, 04:21:42 PM

Well, I'd consider such a location more as a place to meet new people. I think it's more about the playing/exchanging thoughts than renting computers. Also internet cafe's like that might be ideal for gaming sessions, special events etc, since a lot of people are still hesitant to bring their computers along for a little LAN gaming.

Yeah, but does that make for a profitable business? If your profits are going to come from coffee and drinks, you have a large and expensive establishment that will serve precious few drinks compared to any other bar. I think its a losing business concept and just accepting bitcoin isnt going to turn a losing concept in to a winning one. My 2 cents.

There are successful chains of internet cafes in many parts of the world. To say it is a losing business concept is like saying fast food is a losing business concept. Sure fast food is losing market share in the US relative to more upmarket options. This is particularly true in affluent urban areas. That says nothing about the viability of a particular fast food restaurant. You need to understand the details of the proposal and the local supply and demand situation before you can evaluate the project.

tl;dr: P4man = idiot

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
rjk

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

1ngldh

View Profile
January 27, 2012, 04:28:36 PM

Yeah, but does that make for a profitable business? If your profits are going to come from coffee and drinks, you have a large and expensive establishment that will serve precious few drinks compared to any other bar. I think its a losing business concept and just accepting bitcoin isnt going to turn a losing concept in to a winning one. My 2 cents.
Coffee and drinks are where the profit is. For instance, Wendy's (the burger chain) sells their soft drinks starting above $1 each, and their real cost is closer to 8 cents each. Starbucks has even higher prices, with not significantly greater cost.

Another example: Gas stations often break even on gas sales, while occasionally making a loss, and even more occasionally a slight profit. The money comes from the convenience store that is inevitably selling.... You guessed it, food and drinks.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
P4man

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 27, 2012, 04:45:04 PM
Last edit: January 27, 2012, 05:06:58 PM by P4man

There are successful chains of internet cafes in many parts of the world.

There are still companies that make money producing and servicing pay phones. You can be successful in ANY market, that doesnt mean its smart to pick a business that serves an evaporating market. But go ahead and prove me wrong, then and only then, feel free to call me an idiot.

P4man

View Profile
January 27, 2012, 04:48:43 PM

Another example: Gas stations often break even on gas sales, while occasionally making a loss, and even more occasionally a slight profit. The money comes from the convenience store that is inevitably selling.... You guessed it, food and drinks.

People still need to refill their gas tanks, there is no obvious trend against that. Come the day solar powered cars become mainstream, good luck opening a gas station + shop that also sells foods and drinks.

antares

View Profile
January 27, 2012, 05:03:18 PM

Well, I'd consider such a location more as a place to meet new people. I think it's more about the playing/exchanging thoughts than renting computers. Also internet cafe's like that might be ideal for gaming sessions, special events etc, since a lot of people are still hesitant to bring their computers along for a little LAN gaming.

well, if I'm there, I'll eat and drink. and that OP better makes a damn good coffee in geeksize(15oz minimum!). I'll be happy to pay for that, and I consider others will, too.

Coffee and drinks are where the profit is. For instance, Wendy's (the burger chain) sells their soft drinks starting above $1 each, and their real cost is closer to 8 cents each. Starbucks has even higher prices, with not significantly greater cost.

hmm, in germany it is illegal to sell gas below wholesale purchasing price...
DoubleIcaras (OP)

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

Kill me~

View Profile
January 27, 2012, 07:50:21 PM

Unfortunately due to the lovely UK i'm looking at around £35,000 to start up, which is... way out of reach. So for the last year or so i've been doing crappy jobs that make me hate my life a little saving for this goal.

=/

Help support Bitcoin awareness in London! Donate to it here: 1F6MCoBMwmfpT5fruvCUjirFEybhLe5c1C
Or get involved here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=58539.0
zer0

Activity: 350

View Profile
January 28, 2012, 12:38:21 AM

Most of the internet cafe's in my city are all gone it's people sitting in cafe's using their laptops now.
There's two gaming places left run by Koreans and basically the entire customer base is 16-25yr old Koreans on student visas so unless there's a bunch of Korean students in your neighborhood just open a regular cafe and do things like rent-a-laptop where you give them one running a VM snapshot so whatever malware they install is gone after you reboot, and sell bitcoins for cash over the counter.

Sure the UK has some sort of small business startup loans you can get. Here you just apply with a general biz plan for a cafe and 99.99% of time it's granted along with funding as long as you aren't a criminal or have extreme terrible credit. Some uber hipsters just opened a new cafe across from my apartment selling pear, brie, and proscuitto baguettes and the place is already packed everyday (with other hipsters)
cunicula
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1003

View Profile
January 28, 2012, 01:49:16 AM

Unfortunately due to the lovely UK i'm looking at around £35,000 to start up, which is... way out of reach. So for the last year or so i've been doing crappy jobs that make me hate my life a little saving for this goal.

=/

Borrow money to go to school?
DoubleIcaras (OP)

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

Kill me~

View Profile
January 28, 2012, 07:33:37 AM

Most of the internet cafe's in my city are all gone it's people sitting in cafe's using their laptops now.
There's two gaming places left run by Koreans and basically the entire customer base is 16-25yr old Koreans on student visas so unless there's a bunch of Korean students in your neighborhood just open a regular cafe and do things like rent-a-laptop where you give them one running a VM snapshot so whatever malware they install is gone after you reboot, and sell bitcoins for cash over the counter.

Sure the UK has some sort of small business startup loans you can get. Here you just apply with a general biz plan for a cafe and 99.99% of time it's granted along with funding as long as you aren't a criminal or have extreme terrible credit. Some uber hipsters just opened a new cafe across from my apartment selling pear, brie, and proscuitto baguettes and the place is already packed everyday (with other hipsters)
I'm 19 and the UK isn't doing very well financially, so I wouldn't imagine anyone would touch my business idea.

Help support Bitcoin awareness in London! Donate to it here: 1F6MCoBMwmfpT5fruvCUjirFEybhLe5c1C
Or get involved here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=58539.0
zer0

View Profile
January 28, 2012, 11:44:55 PM

I'm 19 and the UK isn't doing very well financially, so I wouldn't imagine anyone would touch my business idea.

This is what 'Angel Investors' are for. Every city typically has an angel investor night where you go present your scheme and look for funding to a bunch of investors. Sadly they are almost always looking for some closed source technology they can license and charge fees for but doens't mean your cafe idea wouldn't get any funding especially if you promoted the bitcoin idea (if it's legal for you to sell bitcoins for cash.. i don't see why not if you claim they are a commodity and don't advertise it as another currency)

P4man

View Profile
January 29, 2012, 12:10:33 AM

Angel investors.. good luck. Having presented a business case there once, I can say with confidence three key things they look for:
- high potential ROI
- clear exit strategy
- confidence in management (read: preferably experience)

OP can offer none of those.

I wont stop him from trying, but chances of him even being allowed to present his case seem slim to non existent.

zer0

View Profile
January 29, 2012, 12:19:45 AM

True, however I was at a local forum here and was surprised when they invested in some guy's japanese hotdog startup joint so there is sometimes exceptions but dude had a perfect presentation and a sufficient ROI scheme.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: