Bitcoin Forum
May 26, 2024, 11:44:50 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Does the FED already control Bitcoin?  (Read 3144 times)
nextgencoin (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 07, 2014, 08:01:36 PM

As someone who believes that the FED controls most of the large financial elements either directly or by proxy I think it would be dead easy of them to of bought a ton of Bitcoin, a few billion is nothing to them and now have a controlling stake.

I feel like the media stories that would come out to knock Bitcoin and then the inevitable drops in price reminded me so much of the way banks control the Gold Price etc. Using certain media outlets as a foil for price manipulation.

Maybe if we thought like the enemy, one banks and the Fed we would simply buy up a large majority and then dump as we saw fit. It's almost a no brainer. Therefore they neutralise the threat of Bitcoin by systemically crashing the price so they can point to it and say see, it's volatile and unstable. It would be completely in the FEDs interest to do this as to safeguard the Dollar.

Opinions?
lepirate

Activity: 541
Merit: 500

Garbochock

View Profile
May 07, 2014, 08:13:18 PM

I think this is just another conspiracy theory. To be honest I don't think the FEDs think of bitcoin as a threat, at least not for now.
If they wanted to kill bitcoin they would be able to crash the value by other means quite more easily. It's not that easy to buy hundreds of thousands bitcoins at the same time...
beatljuice

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 07, 2014, 08:15:23 PM

Probably possible, but I doubt it's actually happening. It's very rare for the establishment to foresee things changing until it's too late.
okaynow

Activity: 546

PGP 9CB0902E

View Profile
May 07, 2014, 08:16:33 PM

doesn't the US government own already one of the biggest wallets?

http://bitcoinrichlist.com/top100
http://www.forbes.com/sites/andygreenberg/2013/10/25/fbi-says-its-seized-20-million-in-bitcoins-from-ross-ulbricht-alleged-owner-of-silk-road/

Rest assured that btc will not die before fbi and some other moguls cash out

1PeecNu1J8VNKpgR13nasMZWLcMZrwNJfc
AMVM

Activity: 44
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 07, 2014, 08:27:59 PM

Owning BTC =/= controlling it.

Control is what FED has been doing with US dollar via quantitative easing (printing currency).

Now even if they have lots of BTC the only thing FED can actually do is sell it. Once FED does that that's it. They will need to buy more to dump the price again. See the difference here? If we stay councious of this situation FED will lose money buy selling and trying to dump it.
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
May 07, 2014, 08:30:31 PM

Short answer.  No.

Longer answer. No, not yet anyway. Controlling bitcoins does not necessarily equate to controlling Bitcoin (in particular) or cryptocurrencies (in general); but nor does that mean that owning bitcoins doesn't provide some degree of influence in the realm.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
May 07, 2014, 08:34:42 PM

I think this is just another conspiracy theory. To be honest I don't think the FEDs think of bitcoin as a threat, at least not for now.

Well, yes and no.  No, to the degree that the Fed is just another social construct, and there cannot be any real consensus among the human beings that make up the Fed; and yes, that some of those same people have more institutional influence than others and that some subset of those influential persons think in terms of 'threats' to their institution.  Among those influential persons, Bitcoin & derivitives are regarded as a systemic threat, they just don't really know (or can agree upon) how to respond.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
acoindr
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1002

View Profile
May 07, 2014, 09:14:56 PM

Therefore they neutralise the threat of Bitcoin by systemically crashing the price so they can point to it and say see, it's volatile and unstable.

Bitcoin doesn't need the Fed in order to appear volatile LOL! It's doing fine with that on its own.

Seriously, though, Bitcoin's volatility is becoming less over time. That's likely due to the size of market growing. Quite simply larger markets tend to absorb shock better and be less volatile. If any outside interest intentionally bought up bitcoins driving the price higher, then sold those coins to try crashing the market, if successful it would likely generate renewed news cycles about Bitcoin, generating new and renewed interest, resulting in a larger market which leads... to more stability. Bitcoin may experience short term bumps and bruises, like volatility, MtGox imploding, etc. but the idea of Bitcoin is what can never be conveniently deleted. The genie is out of the bottle and this thing isn't going away due to non-permanent events.
findftp
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1006

Delusional crypto obsessionist

View Profile
May 07, 2014, 10:51:47 PM

Control is what FED has been doing with US dollar via quantitative easing (printing currency).

Now even if they have lots of BTC the only thing FED can actually do is sell it. Once FED does that that's it. They will need to buy more to dump the price again. See the difference here? If we stay councious of this situation FED will lose money buy selling and trying to dump it.
This is the winning answer.
Governments all over the world probably have (confiscated, goxxed) loads of BTC already.
They will have to be very careful with it because they can sell them only once.
Maybe they will lend them out to others in the future, or do other things with it just they do with gold.

MarketNeutral

Activity: 406
Merit: 251

View Profile
May 07, 2014, 11:30:30 PM

But who was BIS?
nextgencoin (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 08, 2014, 06:52:06 AM

Yeah that's a positive viewpoint and hopefully true. I guess I wonder if the media onslaught against Bitcoin is orchestrated with organised price dumps to scare people away. But your right in the end they can't make Bitcoin like they do dollars. We need to stay strong through the storms...

I'm not that familiar with the technology of Etherum bit with some rumors of Goldman Sachs (a well known proxy of the FED) I get concerned when I hear words like Derivatives thrown around.  Gold is controlled by basically making the supply (paper gold) limitless through Derivatives and then controlling those Derivatives.

I sincerely hope Etherum or anyone else doesn't turn a bitcoin into another manipulated financial product.

TrailingComet

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 08, 2014, 08:14:04 AM

Pretty sure that's not the case
Impossible to be 100% certain, possible that some of the newer alts are compromised though

Haskel85

Activity: 69
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 08, 2014, 09:26:25 AM

That's terrible!

SherdonIke

Activity: 66
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 08, 2014, 09:56:19 AM

Even title is delusion. Nobody can control bitcoin
boumalo
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1018

View Profile WWW
May 08, 2014, 11:56:51 AM

Most people at the FED don't believe in Bitcoin so don't think it is a threat, they are busy hiding the real state of the US economy

Aswan
Legendary

Activity: 1734
Merit: 1015

View Profile
May 08, 2014, 12:17:11 PM

Yeah that's a positive viewpoint and hopefully true. I guess I wonder if the media onslaught against Bitcoin is orchestrated with organised price dumps to scare people away. But your right in the end they can't make Bitcoin like they do dollars. We need to stay strong through the storms...

I'm not that familiar with the technology of Etherum bit with some rumors of Goldman Sachs (a well known proxy of the FED) I get concerned when I hear words like Derivatives thrown around.  Gold is controlled by basically making the supply (paper gold) limitless through Derivatives and then controlling those Derivatives.

I sincerely hope Etherum or anyone else doesn't turn a bitcoin into another manipulated financial product.

It already happened to bitcoin. Gox owned less BTC than people thought they had available and this is just the start. Bitcoin is not the answer to fractional reserve banking and the 21 million cap is only on the protocol level. As soon as an established payment processor start dealing in bitcoin in addition to Fiat, they are free to go with fractional reserve banking ant thus create the illusion of way more than 21 million bitcoins existing.
This can go on and on and because we don't want it to go on there will be an institution created to regulate this fractional reserve banking. Since the regulate it, they can create special rules for everyone and they will get special rules for the people that are part of this institution... which somehow happen to be the big banksters of today. Oh and while we're at it, lets call the institution the Federal Bitcoin Reserve.

Eventually there will be lots of payment systems in place all dealing in Bitcoin. Bitcoin itself won't even be used anymore except for big deals between banks /mega corps / governments.
Because of that it just comes natural to remove bitcoin from those systems. People are told it is way better because banks won't go broke because of not having enough BTC to cover their liabilities anymore so the customers don't lose their money in the bank.
There are promises of insuring everyones money in the banks with this change so noone can ever lose it again because of his bank going broke. People like it. They love it because it seems so much saver. They didn't really use the Bitcoin protocol anyway - why would they? There were shiny and easy to use systems in place that allowed them to pay with bitcoin just as fine and this isn't gonna change.

Eventually we end up like now. A Monopoly controlling the money supply and therefore controlling the government and the people. The only difference is that by them the world has grown to be one big state. Bitcoin and the internet amde this happen even faster than one would have thought.
Theres now only one world government and only once government to control for the bankers - those same bankers that talked people into making the same mistake again by promising them to insure their BTC deposits with removing the BTC backing to prevent bank from going bust. What they didn't tell? They are gonna monopolize not only money, but they are gonna monopolize the ownership of the human race - again!
turvarya

Activity: 714

View Profile
May 08, 2014, 02:00:12 PM

It already happened to bitcoin. Gox owned less BTC than people thought they had available and this is just the start. Bitcoin is not the answer to fractional reserve banking and the 21 million cap is only on the protocol level. As soon as an established payment processor start dealing in bitcoin in addition to Fiat, they are free to go with fractional reserve banking ant thus create the illusion of way more than 21 million bitcoins existing.
This can go on and on and because we don't want it to go on there will be an institution created to regulate this fractional reserve banking. Since the regulate it, they can create special rules for everyone and they will get special rules for the people that are part of this institution... which somehow happen to be the big banksters of today. Oh and while we're at it, lets call the institution the Federal Bitcoin Reserve.

Eventually there will be lots of payment systems in place all dealing in Bitcoin. Bitcoin itself won't even be used anymore except for big deals between banks /mega corps / governments.
Because of that it just comes natural to remove bitcoin from those systems. People are told it is way better because banks won't go broke because of not having enough BTC to cover their liabilities anymore so the customers don't lose their money in the bank.
There are promises of insuring everyones money in the banks with this change so noone can ever lose it again because of his bank going broke. People like it. They love it because it seems so much saver. They didn't really use the Bitcoin protocol anyway - why would they? There were shiny and easy to use systems in place that allowed them to pay with bitcoin just as fine and this isn't gonna change.

Eventually we end up like now. A Monopoly controlling the money supply and therefore controlling the government and the people. The only difference is that by them the world has grown to be one big state. Bitcoin and the internet amde this happen even faster than one would have thought.
Theres now only one world government and only once government to control for the bankers - those same bankers that talked people into making the same mistake again by promising them to insure their BTC deposits with removing the BTC backing to prevent bank from going bust. What they didn't tell? They are gonna monopolize not only money, but they are gonna monopolize the ownership of the human race - again!
There is a simple solution to prevent that outcome: Companies just have to Show, that they really have the bitcoins and that is what the blockchain is for.
Some Exchanges are already implementing this.

https://forum.bitcoin.com/
New censorship-free forum by Roger Ver. Try it out.
Aswan
Legendary

Activity: 1734
Merit: 1015

View Profile
May 08, 2014, 02:11:27 PM

There is a simple solution to prevent that outcome: Companies just have to Show, that they really have the bitcoins and that is what the blockchain is for.
Some Exchanges are already implementing this.

Sure it is and we want that to happen. But when bitcoin goes more and more mainstream the masses might not care as long as they can buy their payTV subscription with that non-backed BTC. I fear that people may get manipulated into not caring about services proving they actually have the BTC.
If paypal implemented BTC today, they wouldn't prove they had the BTC they show their customers in their accounts and nobody would care if they had proven it or not. People would just jump on it because paypal is what they are used to and that way they don't have to actually get into bitcoin at all. It's just a new currency on paypal they can use.
Why would they even think about paypal proving they have what they say they have? Paypal never did that and still people feel a sense of protection when buying things with paypal because it's marketed that way.

Sure proving you have the coins is good, but as it turns out the majority of people won't even think about asking for it - it's just not how things work today!
Bitcoin is not the solution to all these problems. It's a good step in the right direction but it will never be enough without proper education of people who do not even know how the currency they work with every day is created, manipulated and inflated in order to make them obey and not think about what most financial companies actually do.

I so wish you were right but it's not the way it works. People need to know what actually happens instead of getting fed false information about whats going on in the world.. =/
1Referee
Legendary

Activity: 2170
Merit: 1427

View Profile
May 08, 2014, 02:32:05 PM

Answer to question : No

Why are people thinking that governments control bitcoin, they don't want, and don't need to do so. They already know that eventually it will not survive.
ChuckBuck

Activity: 1372
Merit: 783

better everyday ♥

View Profile WWW
May 08, 2014, 02:45:29 PM

Answer to question : No

Why are people thinking that governments control bitcoin, they don't want, and don't need to do so. They already know that eventually it will not survive.

And you know this by how?  Are you take advice from your magic 8 ball again?  Crystall ball out of order again?

CharityAuction
          ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄   
       ▄▄███████▀▀▀▀███████▄
     ▄████▀▀           ▀▀████▄
   ▄███▀▀   ▄▄████████▄▄   ▀▀███▄
  ████▀   ████▀██████████    ▀███▄
 ████   ▄███▀▄  ▀    ██████   ▀███▄
▄███   ████▄    ▄█▄  ▀██████    ███▄
████  ▄███▀     ▀█▀      ▀███▄  ████
████  ████▄▄█▄      ▄█▄   ████  ████
████  ▀████████▄   ███▀  ▄███▀  ████
▀███   █████████▄   ▀   ▀████   ███▀