Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 10:52:39 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Mt Gox must die  (Read 2502 times)
Hunterbunter

Activity: 994
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 18, 2012, 01:32:29 AM

so what do you mean by decentralize the exchange?

How do you do that with fiat currency?

Or do you mean have more exchanges that talk to one another?

that would be a good step

ultimately a fully open source decentralized platform on TOR maybe?

You missed his point... the exchanges are the bridge between fiat and bitcoin... try getting a bank to give you an account owned by a decentralized network.

Yah I essentially meant this. Mt Gox acts as a bank account to temporary fiat currency, and also as a bank account for temporary BTC currency, and all its members trade shares of each pool with each other.

BTCs are decentralized very difficultly - hashing, competition, mining incentives, etc. To decentralize the exchange, you'd have to create another network for fiat currency. I don't think this is possible, as the system doesn't have control over it's creation like it does BTC.

I don't know if I'm explaining that properly, as my head's hurting from all the emotional rollercoastering today.

Having a network of exchanges that talk to each other might be feasible, but it's also dangerous - if a server has a buffer freeze, then others can't communicate with it anyway. If you have your money on Gox and it freezes like it did, how would your order be sent to the other servers and not be executed twice?

there is a place for fiat interface for a fee in the market, doesn't mean it needs to be an effective monopoly on trading

I think I understand what you're saying, but this is a battle against human nature. Why is microsoft so much larger than other pc OS developers? Why is google so much larger than the competitors? why is WoW so much more popular than all the others? It's because of human herding, not quality.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
GeniuSxBoY

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 18, 2012, 01:33:54 AM

none of this shit would have happened if it weren't for your dumbfucks fucking around with bitcoinica.

Some never learn from debt.

I screenshotted the exploit and people didn't pay it no mind.

Be humble!
thph

Activity: 345
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 18, 2012, 01:37:34 AM

fee rollback

btc 1JZC6AfStkJ32mmhEkTjnfHZSFUHHzFhmD
atb APdYw1DsN7zxgofHBq5cCgFFpjBY1MYDx5
N12
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1010

View Profile
January 18, 2012, 01:39:57 AM

none of this shit would have happened if it weren't for your dumbfucks fucking around with bitcoinica.

Some never learn from debt.
THIS.

Once I was seriously considering buying Bitcoins with all my BTC as margin on Bitcoinica at ~3.5, but I decided against it exactly because of this BS. (Though I tested it with a few BTC, I should get them out soon before this shit implodes).

Bitcoin is already a risky enough bet, wanting to leverage it is absolutely insane unless you have extremely high certainty of imminent price movement.
gewure

Activity: 364

[#][#][#]

View Profile
January 18, 2012, 01:44:07 AM

so what do you mean by decentralize the exchange?

How do you do that with fiat currency?

Or do you mean have more exchanges that talk to one another?

that would be a good step

ultimately a fully open source decentralized platform on TOR maybe?

If you think mtgox is slow, TOR would be suicide.

simply more competeting markets should solve the problem as well
StewartJ

Activity: 392

View Profile
January 18, 2012, 01:52:35 AM

fee rollback

Lets all petition for fee rollback for the rest of January. 
thph

Activity: 345

View Profile
January 18, 2012, 01:58:13 AM

+1

btc 1JZC6AfStkJ32mmhEkTjnfHZSFUHHzFhmD
atb APdYw1DsN7zxgofHBq5cCgFFpjBY1MYDx5
chsados

Activity: 662
Merit: 545

View Profile
January 18, 2012, 02:08:04 AM

does the exchange have to fill the role of the moneychanger

we need to away the profit/hassle/legality issues away from the exchange service and transferring it over to any "big player" who wants to make a few % selling special coupons.  there could either be an agreed upon flat rate or it could be a "free market" where people competitively price their transaction fees.  

basically we are moving #bitcoin-otc from IRC -> the web browser, giving non technical people easier access to exchanges.
ultima

Activity: 96
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 18, 2012, 02:09:09 AM

You are all making it too complicated. All we need is a few exchanges with approx same market share. The traders (arbitrage) will take care of the rest. But the problem is there is no real competition. MtGox is bad, but other exchanges are not any better, or at least not good enough to take large amount of volume from mtgox.

I've tried other exchanges. Most of them look like an afternoon project. Tradehill has some stupid logic with different markets for different currencies. I mean, you don't even have any real volume on the main USD market, and you are going to split that volume into 10 different markets. Smart move, I have to say...
chsados

Activity: 662
Merit: 545

View Profile
January 18, 2012, 02:10:58 AM

I mean, you don't even have any real volume on the main USD market, and you are going to split that volume into 10 different markets. Smart move, I have to say...

good point.  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: