Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 03:17:39 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Twitter suspended Feed Ze Birds application  (Read 5315 times)
bearbones (OP)

Activity: 316
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
January 18, 2012, 01:13:58 AM
Last edit: January 18, 2012, 07:36:31 PM by bearbones

When it rains it pours.

I just got back online, and received a notice that Twitter has suspended the Feed Ze Birds application. Don't know why yet, but until further notice, I've taken the site down.

Wish I could say more, but the totality of their message was:

This is a notice that your OAuth token for Feed Ze Birds has been suspended from interacting with the Twitter API.

Please make sure that your application follows Twitter's API Terms of Service

To request for your token to be re-enabled, please write to api@twitter.com

Will post here as more information becomes available.

[edit]New information on the suspension:[/edit]
Hello,

Your application was suspended for violating our Automation Rules (http://support.twitter.com/articles/76915 ). Specifically, Tweets with sponsored content must be manually written and/or approved by the posting user and may not be scheduled in advance. Furthermore, these sponsored Tweets must be disclosed as sponsored within the Tweet and repeat posts of the same advertisement are also prohibited. Please make the necessary changes to bring your application into compliance with our Automation Rules as well as our API Terms of Service ( https://dev.twitter.com/terms/api-terms ).

It's best for both our users and your users if your application's behavior does not cause them to break our Twitter Rules ( http://support.twitter.com/articles/18311 ). Please let us know when changes have been deployed to bring it into compliance with our Terms. Thank you in advance for your cooperation.

Regards,
Twitter API Policy

Feed Ze Birds Pay and get paid for tweets
Coinapult Send Bitcoins easily over email or text message

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitPay Business Solutions

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
January 18, 2012, 01:54:28 AM

How can we login to request a refund for the campaigns?

BitPay : The World Leader in Bitcoin Business Solutions

https://bitpay.com

Does your website accept bitcoins?
ineededausername

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

bitcoin hundred-aire

View Profile
January 18, 2012, 02:00:14 AM

total BS... all the powers of the centralized internet have entered into a holy alliance to exorcise the specter of Bitcoin.

(BFL)^2 < 0
Herodes

Activity: 868

View Profile
January 18, 2012, 02:13:41 AM

Why not make a bittwitter or rather change the name to something totally unrelated.

Twitter started small at one point too. Personally I think feedze birds was a good idea.

Good luck in the future.
Steve

Activity: 868
Merit: 1007

View Profile WWW
January 18, 2012, 02:15:01 AM

I figured they would eventually want to buy you guys out…not shut you down.

(gasteve on IRC) Does your website accept cash? https://bitpay.com
bearbones (OP)

View Profile WWW
January 18, 2012, 02:20:13 AM

No need to jump to conclusions. They're not shutting us down just yet. For all I know (still haven't heard any specifics), they just thought we pinged them too often.

In regards to refunding campaigns, I'm working on it. First thing was to lock the site down so no one tried to retweet. Letting people log in, but not retweet isn't something I'd anticipated doing.

evoorhees
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021

Democracy is the original 51% attack

View Profile
January 18, 2012, 02:35:31 AM

Yeah FYI to everyone thanks for your patience... we'll figure out what Twitter's beef is and get this resolved ASAP.

Maybe they saw The Good Wife Grin
Bitcoin Oz

Activity: 686

Wat

View Profile WWW
January 18, 2012, 05:48:44 AM

I thought it was because I just started using it from the bitcoinmedia account and sent too much traffic lol.

Serge
Legendary

Activity: 1050

View Profile
January 18, 2012, 07:26:25 AM

perhaps twitter's spamming policies kicked in?
Xenland
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1003

I'm not just any shaman, I'm a Sha256man

View Profile
January 18, 2012, 07:30:45 AM

Awe bummer i hope twitter can bring it back online soon i make more money on feed ze birds then i do mining on my 6990 (after electricity costs)
ripper234
Legendary

Activity: 1358

Ron Gross

View Profile WWW
January 18, 2012, 08:52:13 AM

OP - do you know that you are not violating their TOS?

Please do not pm me, use ron@bitcoin.org.il instead
Mastercoin Executive Director
Co-founder of the Israeli Bitcoin Association
apetersson

Activity: 668
Merit: 501

View Profile
January 18, 2012, 11:43:17 AM
Last edit: January 19, 2012, 08:15:45 AM by apetersson

i must say i expected this. when discussing the app with other Bitcoin-interested people we came to the conclusion they are violating the twitter TOS and will be shut down like other likewise services once they become noticed by twitter.
bearbones (OP)

View Profile WWW
January 18, 2012, 04:06:36 PM

OP - do you know that you are not violating their TOS?

We've reviewed the Twitter TOS pretty carefully, and do not believe that our business model violates it. Obviously, they feel we violated it in some way, or they wouldn't have suspended our application. The most likely thing, however, is that it is a minor infraction which we can address.

i must say i expected this. when discussion your application with other Bitcoin-interested people we came to the conclusion they are violating the twitter TOS and will be shut down like other likewise services once they become noticed by twitter.

In what way do you think Feed Ze Birds violates the Twitter TOS?

gregwtmtno

Activity: 77
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 18, 2012, 04:32:56 PM

That's too bad...I felt like it was just starting to take off.
bearbones (OP)

View Profile WWW
January 18, 2012, 07:34:14 PM

Finally got a response from Twitter. They clarified their reasoning, and it looks like something we can address. Will have to think carefully about it, as I believe we were already compliant. Regardless, the important thing is that Feed Ze Birds will be back soon!

Hello,

Your application was suspended for violating our Automation Rules (http://support.twitter.com/articles/76915 ). Specifically, Tweets with sponsored content must be manually written and/or approved by the posting user and may not be scheduled in advance. Furthermore, these sponsored Tweets must be disclosed as sponsored within the Tweet and repeat posts of the same advertisement are also prohibited. Please make the necessary changes to bring your application into compliance with our Automation Rules as well as our API Terms of Service ( https://dev.twitter.com/terms/api-terms ).

It's best for both our users and your users if your application's behavior does not cause them to break our Twitter Rules ( http://support.twitter.com/articles/18311 ). Please let us know when changes have been deployed to bring it into compliance with our Terms. Thank you in advance for your cooperation.

Regards,
Twitter API Policy

ripper234
Legendary

Activity: 1358

Ron Gross

View Profile WWW
January 18, 2012, 07:36:15 PM

Finally got a response from Twitter. They clarified their reasoning, and it looks like something we can address. Will have to think carefully about it, as I believe we were already compliant. Regardless, the important thing is that Feed Ze Birds will be back soon!

Hello,

Regards,
Twitter API Policy

Nice responsiveness, much better than Facebook / Apple.

Ideally this letter would have been sent simultaneously (or even before) shutting you down, but it's not too bad at this stage.

Please do not pm me, use ron@bitcoin.org.il instead
Mastercoin Executive Director
Co-founder of the Israeli Bitcoin Association
drakahn

Activity: 504

View Profile
January 19, 2012, 02:50:56 AM

Specifically, Tweets with sponsored content must be manually written and/or approved by the posting user and may not be scheduled in advance.
Furthermore, these sponsored Tweets must be disclosed as sponsored within the Tweet and repeat posts of the same advertisement are also prohibited.

i did manually approve all tweets and they were not scheduled
all the tweets disclose that they are #retweetforbitcoin right?

so, whats the problem?

14ga8dJ6NGpiwQkNTXg7KzwozasfaXNfEU
matonis

Activity: 303

View Profile WWW
January 19, 2012, 08:13:11 AM

Specifically, Tweets with sponsored content must be manually written and/or approved by the posting user and may not be scheduled in advance.
Furthermore, these sponsored Tweets must be disclosed as sponsored within the Tweet and repeat posts of the same advertisement are also prohibited.

i did manually approve all tweets and they were not scheduled
all the tweets disclose that they are #retweetforbitcoin right?

so, whats the problem?

Maybe it's because "repeat posts of the same advertisement are also prohibited." I like the idea of FeedZe Birds but I always did receive repeat posts in my timeline. That's probably the language that Twitter needs to clarify in their TOS.

Founding Director, Bitcoin Foundation
I also cover the bitcoin economy for Forbes, American Banker, PaymentsSource, and CoinDesk.
a63ntsm1th

Activity: 95
Merit: 11

View Profile
January 19, 2012, 09:46:44 AM

To be honest, in my opinion your program was just generating spam.  And it sounds like twitter is trying to stop spam.

Thank you twitter.

just my .02 btc
genjix
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1072

View Profile
January 19, 2012, 10:02:23 AM

Agree with guy above.

The spam was terribly ugly looking, annoying to people interested in bitcoin news and counter-productive to the cause of bitcoin making it look like a scam because of spammy adds.

Twitter did the right thing. That spam made Twitter unusable for me, and I haven't been using it.
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: