Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 05:59:49 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is the Bitcoin Community Under Attack?  (Read 3962 times)
bittenbob (OP)

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 18, 2012, 01:19:56 AM

With this strange activity going on with MTgox and now ABCPool has gone down I have to wonder if we are dealing with a co-ordinated attack on the community. This could also be behind the big dump in price. It would seem someone has a beef with bitcoins and my bet is on either someone who lost a lot of money or the government.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The block chain is the main innovation of Bitcoin. It is the first distributed timestamping system.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Eveofwar

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 18, 2012, 01:21:44 AM

With this strange activity going on with MTgox and now ABCPool has gone down I have to wonder if we are dealing with a co-ordinated attack on the community. This could also be behind the big dump in price. It would seem someone has a beef with bitcoins and my bet is on either someone who lost a lot of money or the government.

This with the "MITM attacks" from you...makes you sound like a terrible conspiracy theorist.
bittenbob (OP)

View Profile
January 18, 2012, 01:23:29 AM

The orders showed as being executed then were later removed from charting sites. If you look at charts people posted during the swings it was different. How many other pools are down right now?
kronosvl

Activity: 134
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 18, 2012, 01:24:50 AM

probably would be a good idea to stop the trading bots

Donations are accepted @: 19Uk8zVhdgfrRo5Z6wH9yghWxZUtdiNtX9
OTC: http://bitcoin-otc.com/viewgpg.php?nick=kronosvl
Eveofwar

View Profile
January 18, 2012, 01:27:09 AM

The orders showed as being executed then were later removed from charting sites. If you look at charts people posted during the swings it was different. How many other pools are down right now?

So you think...someone got into MtGox and is pushing fake data out it's API and other sources to multiple exchanges and charting websites to cause massive swings in the markets ?

Pool ops deal with botnets all the time, they aren't being attacked.  Why does one 400 GH pool being down have on an 9.1 TH network immediately signal some type of coordinated attack LOL ?

And your guess the attacker being "either someone who lost a lot of money or the government"...no comment.
cottoneyeJoe

Activity: 91
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 18, 2012, 01:29:06 AM

honey badger arbitrage bot continues unconcerned.

Trades at Gox, TradeHill, and CampBx all happening as normal.

Charts not working? Honey badger bot dont give a fuck.
bittenbob (OP)

View Profile
January 18, 2012, 01:36:07 AM

So you think...someone got into MtGox and is pushing fake data out it's API and other sources to multiple exchanges and charting websites to cause massive swings in the markets ?

Pool ops deal with botnets all the time, they aren't being attacked.  Why does one 400 GH pool being down have on an 9.1 TH network immediately signal some type of coordinated attack LOL ?

And your guess the attacker being "either someone who lost a lot of money or the government"...no comment.

If you know what MITM stands for they didnt have to get into bitcoinica just in between them and their ISP. Then the packets could be dropped and replaced or spoofed. Someone could have spoofed the address and syntax from the API sending false information to the charting sites.

As for the pool I just thought it was interesting timing. That 500Ghash (what it has been lately) is a pretty good chunk of the global hash rate. I was wondering if other pools were not responding but it certainly would be one way to try and cause damage within the bitcoin community.

I see deepbit is still up so I guess I will be using them until ABC comes back online.
jake262144

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 18, 2012, 01:36:22 AM

@Eveofwar
Heh, everyone has a panic threshold.

Not too long ago I was at work. Not having enough work to do I checked bitcoinwatch. It showed a ridiculously low number of blocks/hour, something like 2.1
This got me thinking: wtf, better check the forums. Needless to say, the forums were down.
When I realized that MtGox was also down a red light went off and I immediately sent an alarming message to Gavin himself, describing the situation Smiley
Heck, when you're not at home you can't just take your time and research the situation carefully.
Eveofwar

View Profile
January 18, 2012, 01:42:54 AM

If you know what MITM stands for they didnt have to get into bitcoinica just in between them and their ISP. Then the packets could be dropped and replaced or spoofed. Someone could have spoofed the address and syntax from the API sending false information to the charting sites.

As for the pool I just thought it was interesting timing. That 500Ghash (what it has been lately) is a pretty good chunk of the global hash rate. I was wondering if other pools were not responding but it certainly would be one way to try and cause damage within the bitcoin community.

I see deepbit is still up so I guess I will be using them until ABC comes back online.

Just between Bitcoinica and their ISP...this would allow for switching/rejecting of packets to/from Bitcoinica only...has no effect over MtGox's API that servers the rest of the charting sites.  Unless you're saying they also got in between Bitcoinica <-> MtGox and MtGox <-> Charting websites ?!  Highly unlikely to me.  Just trying to piece together your theory here...

500 Ghash of 9.1 Thash is only 5.5%, and that's rounded up.  Maybe our definitions of "pretty good chunk" aren't the same on this.

I'm still quite intrigued on how you think MITM plays out in all of this, because I just don't see it.
bittenbob (OP)

View Profile
January 18, 2012, 01:49:02 AM

Just between Bitcoinica and their ISP...this would allow for switching/rejecting of packets to/from Bitcoinica only...has no effect over MtGox's API that servers the rest of the charting sites.  Unless you're saying they also got in between Bitcoinica <-> MtGox and MtGox <-> Charting websites ?!  Highly unlikely to me.  Just trying to piece together your theory here...

500 Ghash of 9.1 Thash is only 5.5%, and that's rounded up.  Maybe our definitions of "pretty good chunk" aren't the same on this.

I'm still quite intrigued on how you think MITM plays out in all of this, because I just don't see it.

I mistyped. I meant between Gox and ISP. This would explain what was going on with the charts.
kjj
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1025

View Profile
January 18, 2012, 01:50:40 AM

It must be hell to be alive today with no clue about how anything at all really works.

17Np17BSrpnHCZ2pgtiMNnhjnsWJ2TMqq8
I routinely ignore posters with paid advertising in their sigs.  You should too.
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5194
Merit: 12974

View Profile
January 18, 2012, 01:56:02 AM

MtGox's HTTPS will prevent any MITM attack unless the attacker compromises a CA or something.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
bittenbob (OP)

View Profile
January 18, 2012, 01:58:35 AM

MtGox's HTTPS will prevent any MITM attack unless the attacker compromises a CA or something.

Just curious theymos, what is your take on what was going on with all the charts when it was cycling in a loop between 6 and 7? After about 25 minutes those cycles were erased and the market sat at 6 until orders that were placed during the swings on the charts were executed.  Anything is possible and I have never seen anything like what happened today.
rjk

Activity: 448

1ngldh

View Profile
January 18, 2012, 02:03:01 AM

OP exists and is here to spread FUD. That is all I have ever seen, and all I shall ever expect to see.
He is not the only one.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5194
Merit: 12974

View Profile
January 18, 2012, 02:06:57 AM

Just curious theymos, what is your take on what was going on with all the charts when it was cycling in a loop between 6 and 7? After about 25 minutes those cycles were erased and the market sat at 6 until orders that were placed during the swings on the charts were executed.  Anything is possible and I have never seen anything like what happened today.

I wasn't watching it, but it just sounds like bots were behaving strangely and maybe some MtGox slowness made it worse. Everything seems to be more or less back to normal now, so I'm not concerned.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
bittenbob (OP)

View Profile
January 18, 2012, 02:08:45 AM

OP exists and is here to spread FUD. That is all I have ever seen, and all I shall ever expect to see.
He is not the only one.

Anyone who has a viewpoint different than you is spreading FUD. Very weak.
Herodes

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 18, 2012, 02:17:15 AM

Well, it could just be a flaw in the trading engine.

Source code should've been reviewed by 3rd part skilled devs.
Eveofwar

View Profile
January 18, 2012, 02:21:55 AM

Well, it could just be a flaw in the trading engine.

Source code should've been reviewed by 3rd part skilled devs.

Last time I remember MtGox employing a 3rd party...

They got read-only access to the user database and it got leaked out to the internet.  3rd parties are awesome !
bittenbob (OP)

View Profile
January 18, 2012, 02:36:27 AM

So I just read the pool thread and ABCPool is being DDOS'd. Do you retract your comment about me spreading FUD yet  because this seems to fit within my theory.
rjk

Activity: 448

1ngldh

View Profile
January 18, 2012, 02:58:17 AM

So I just read the pool thread and ABCPool is being DDOS'd. Do you retract your comment about me spreading FUD yet  because this seems to fit within my theory.
You didn't know that before? When you mentioned "gone down" I assumed you knew it was being DDOSed. Unfortunately, DDOS seems to be a fact of life for pool operators these days. In case you weren't around a few months ago, the same thing was happening - except to Slush, Deepbit, BTC Guild, and others - all at the same time. It was so bad that Slush was forced to move to a different hosting provider - the existing one kicked him out because it was taking their network down.

It comes with the territory.

I do not retract my comment, because it still appears to be valid - starting threads with fiery titles and noisy proclamations of doom and gloom with no real reason or research - stinks of weasel to me.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: