Bitcoin Forum
April 16, 2024, 04:36:59 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Am I Cheating?  (Read 1763 times)
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
January 18, 2012, 07:57:12 AM

I needed a piece of info, so I headed to my favorite info-on-demand site but, lo and behold, it was dark. Now, I didn't mean to do it, but after giving it a shot, there it all was--no longer dark. So, if you're in the same boat, or maybe just need a fix, I offer up this hack: http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:syoUD6zHWlgJ:en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dollar_sign+&cd=6&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

~Bruno~

(there is no significance with that particular search result)

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
P4man

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 18, 2012, 08:02:16 AM
Last edit: January 18, 2012, 08:15:43 AM by P4man

Its not cheating. The whole point of the blackout is raising awareness. If you are already aware of the issue (as I suspect most ppl on this board are), I see no harm getting the info you want from google cache.

theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5166
Merit: 12864

View Profile
January 18, 2012, 08:04:22 AM

You can also just disable JavaScript.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
Meni Rosenfeld
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1054

View Profile WWW
January 18, 2012, 09:47:03 AM

You can also stop the page loading (eg pressing escape) before the Javascript runs.

1EofoZNBhWQ3kxfKnvWkhtMns4AivZArhr   |   Who am I?   |   bitcoin-otc WoT
Bitcoil - Exchange bitcoins for ILS (thread)   |   Israel Bitcoin community homepage (thread)
Analysis of Bitcoin Pooled Mining Reward Systems (thread, summary)  |   PureMining - Infinite-term, deterministic mining bond
xzion

Activity: 96
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 18, 2012, 11:15:16 AM

there's also http://universalexposure.com.au/wikiproxy.php

Tips: 1xzionJBueq1AkPSmexA7suWkztAkNwSs
zerokwel

Activity: 464
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 18, 2012, 06:10:10 PM

or just run it noscript.  turn off javascript etc Smiley

Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
January 18, 2012, 09:00:51 PM

My friend just set up a redirect to the Spanish version with Google translate.
terrytibbs

Activity: 560
Merit: 501

View Profile
January 18, 2012, 09:05:06 PM

That'd be pretty impressive, had it not been for the fact that it works just fine if you disable JS, which you (he/she?) should be doing on a global basis with a whitelist anyway.
Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
January 18, 2012, 09:12:19 PM

That'd be pretty impressive, had it not been for the fact that it works just fine if you disable JS, which you (he/she?) should be doing on a global basis with a whitelist anyway.

He did that on the home software router, automatically redirecting Wikipedia requests with that setup, but then he does like to make things complicated. He also did that yesterday before knowing how Wikipedia was going to do their thing.
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 19, 2012, 03:16:05 AM

While on the road today, I listened to an NPR segment about a college girl who was distraught because Wikipedia was down and she could not do her important research paper(s). The thoughts that came to mind upon listening to that segment: I figured it out on my own by accident + common sense after midnight last night; she's a college kid and knows other college kids and could have easily asked other kids if there's a workaround; NPR didn't offer a solution, albeit two segments later aired a segment offering two workarounds--foreign language (Danish was the example) and Google cache; last, and here is where we're all fucked, what the hell type of research paper was she penning of which only Wikipedia will be her main source? Is this research for a grade? A thesis? A dissertation? A profound piece of work that will effect generations to come? In the segment it was mentioned that tens of thousands of college students were in the same boat. I have one final question. Is this boat heading to Tuscany? And whose the captain? (Oops! Two questions.)

~Bruno~
bb113

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 19, 2012, 05:01:28 AM

I just saw the page appear before the blackout screen and figured I'd stop whatever was loading... so I pressed esc. And yea, as I've said elsewhere, NPR does not have informed or intelligent people on the air, that's why I stopped listening (except for ken nordine's word jazz which is awesome).

I think it takes a slightly above average understanding of browsers to think of the solution though. For example, if my car didn't start I wouldn't think to perform some percussive maintenance on the starter to unstick the solenoid on my own. Someone had to show me one time.
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 19, 2012, 05:09:40 AM

I just saw the page appear before the blackout screen and figured I'd stop whatever was loading... so I pressed esc. And yea, as I've said elsewhere, NPR does not have informed or intelligent people on the air, that's why I stopped listening (except for ken nordine's word jazz which is awesome).

I think it takes a slightly above average understanding of browsers to think of the solution though. For example, if my car didn't start I wouldn't think to perform some percussive maintenance on the starter to unstick the solenoid on my own. Someone had to show me one time.

I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with one thing, bcbc113. Although I may not agree with a lot NPR airs, there are intelligent people conducting the shows. Uninformed--many times. Unintelligent--unlikely. Bias-- Grin

Now about your car. I had a Vega...ONCE!!!

~Bruno~
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: