Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 02:28:37 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: PCI-E 7 slot expansion board  (Read 7747 times)
ssateneth (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1344
Merit: 1004

View Profile
January 18, 2012, 10:48:35 AM

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=14062839037

I'm very interested in this item, but I have no clue on how to decipher how much it actually costs, or how to even buy one. Maybe someone here can sell one to me?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
bulanula

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 18, 2012, 10:54:40 AM
Last edit: January 18, 2012, 11:11:24 AM by bulanula

I'm very interested in this item, but I have no clue on how to decipher how much it actually costs, or how to even buy one. Maybe someone here can sell one to me?

WOW. Somebody gotta try this mofo out.

This can solve all my problems LOL. Screw the extenders !

How much does it cost ? Can it be trusted ?

We need some Chinese people here to help us translate !

As far as I can see it costs about 150 GBP shipped to the UK which is quite nice but I don't think it will work without many stales or something.

Someone needs to try it out for us if possible.

I can already see some problems with the CPU cooler placement ( need to get me a LP one then ) and the board flexing under heavy GPU weight and also problems with the connector to the MB location.

Also why not 8 connectors instead of 7 ? Maybe I can attach the eight board via the standard mobo with extenders ?

Also see that it has 2 onboard PCIe power 6 pin connectors which is VERY nice to supply the power to the PCIe slots ! Screw powered extenders and all that BS.

Get a board like this and you can easily put 8 * 5870s on one mobo with just 1 extender !!!

God, I hope this is real ! I will buy one ASAP if someone tests it and shows us it is geniune. I wonder why the designer guy does not post on here to advertise his product ? Maybe fake ?

I sure hope it is real !!!
ssateneth (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1344
Merit: 1004

View Profile
January 18, 2012, 11:09:43 AM

WOW. Somebody gotta try this mofo out.

This can solve all my problems LOL. Screw the extenders !

How much does it cost ? Can it be trusted ?

We need some Chinese people here to help us translate !

As far as I can see it costs about 150 GBP shipped to the UK which is quite nice but I don't think it will work without many stales or something.

Someone needs to try it out for us if possible.

It's just a fancy powered pci-e extender, I highly doubt stales will even be a factor. It'll be great for those snagging single gpu cards, but those using dual gpu cards likely will just stick to pci-e ribbon cables since most reliable boards have 4 or more pci-e slots.

xzion

Activity: 96
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 18, 2012, 11:14:13 AM

saw this last week, looks awkward. have to be careful with cpu heatsinks, and all of the other PCEI ports are out unless you mess around with extenders. i guess it would be effective to use on a small board with just one PCIE slot.

1400 yuan works out to be about $220 USD, plus $7 for shipping. not exactly cheap.

Tips: 1xzionJBueq1AkPSmexA7suWkztAkNwSs
bulanula

View Profile
January 18, 2012, 11:18:57 AM

This is the HOLY GRAIL for people like me without access to dual GPUs like 5970 and access to single GPUs like 5870 !

God, I hope somebody gets one here so we can see if this is legit and works properly !

8 single GPUs on a rig + this baby > 4 dual GPUs on a rig

in terms of heat produced and probably price too ( dual GPU is very expensive for some ) !
racerguy

Activity: 270
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 18, 2012, 02:04:05 PM

Looks to block the cpu heatsink, but that shouldn't be a problem for mining rigs where the cpu's are mostly idle anyway.
sadpandatech

Activity: 504

View Profile
January 18, 2012, 03:25:38 PM

I'd have to consider putting something like that at the end of a 16x extender cable. Just attach that extender of their's into the expansion board and run the cable to it. You might have a slight clearance issue to consider with extender cable though. But that is easily remedied with either plcing the mobo on a shelf just below this unit with a 'slot' in the shelf for the cable.

I like the pic he has, showing it mining almost 2GH at Deepbit, presumably using this board.

If you're not excited by the idea of being an early adopter 'now', then you should come back in three or four years and either tell us "Told you it'd never work!" or join what should, by then, be a much more stable and easier-to-use system.
- GA

It is being worked on by smart people.  -DamienBlack
bulanula

View Profile
January 18, 2012, 03:42:53 PM

I'd have to consider putting something like that at the end of a 16x extender cable. Just attach that extender of their's into the expansion board and run the cable to it. You might have a slight clearance issue to consider with extender cable though. But that is easily remedied with either plcing the mobo on a shelf just below this unit with a 'slot' in the shelf for the cable.

I like the pic he has, showing it mining almost 2GH at Deepbit, presumably using this board.

Yeah and that way you can also place the eight GPU on the normal mobo position and have any type of CPU cooler you need !!!

I just hope this is legit because I need several Grin
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
January 18, 2012, 03:49:24 PM

Even better would be:
a) AMD joins the 21st century and makes drives work w/ unlimited GPU not just 8
b) the expansion connector is at the end of the board
c) the expansion boards are stackable

Smiley

1 mother board w/ say 4 PCIe16x slots
4 expansion boards
4 PCIe extension cables
=24 expansion slots of stackable goodness.

Yeah heat does rise but you could insulate the bottom of the boards.   Stack em up say 12" clearance between boards = 3 feet high.
Put a 3 foot box fan in front of the stack and another behind it.  Now attach the MB to one side of the stack and x PSU to the other side of the stack.  

Smiley

Lets see 24x 5970 = ~16GH per rig.

As an alternative to fans you likely could insulate the entire thing and hook it to an AC unit. Smiley Smiley

This thing is interesting but AMD drives kill the usefulness.  I mean building a 3x5970 rig is possible w/o extenders.  Even w/ 5870s getting 4,5, or 6 on a board with extenders is already pretty easy.   Paying $200+ to gain 2 more GPU isn't really worth it.  Just build another rig.
Hooking 48 GPU to a single motherboard.  Well now that is just cool.
sadpandatech

View Profile
January 18, 2012, 04:03:18 PM

Sugar Plums And Fairy Tales

keep dreaming, m8   Grin

Not a bad one though!

If you're not excited by the idea of being an early adopter 'now', then you should come back in three or four years and either tell us "Told you it'd never work!" or join what should, by then, be a much more stable and easier-to-use system.
- GA

sadpandatech

View Profile
January 18, 2012, 04:06:36 PM

As an alternative to fans you likely could insulate the entire thing and hook it to an AC unit. Smiley Smiley

This thing is interesting but AMD drives kill the usefulness.  I mean building a 3x5970 rig is possible w/o extenders.  Even w/ 5870s getting 4,5, or 6 on a board with extenders is already pretty easy.   Paying $200+ to gain 2 more GPU isn't really worth it.  Just build another rig.
Hooking 48 GPU to a single motherboard.  Well now that is just cool.

Yea, I would try and 'box' them in so heat from any one unit is not warming another.  I am overdue to post some picks of the cards I have mounted inside of Capri Sun boxes. It works marvelously at directing the air properly over the cards. Not to mention, they are slightly more protected than they otherwise would be.

- GA

ArtForz

Activity: 406
Merit: 257

View Profile
January 18, 2012, 04:10:18 PM

Well, let's see...
$60 via board + $10 ram + $220 backplane for 7 cards. $41.43/slot
$50 am3 board + $30 sempron + $10 ram + $10 extender + $220 backplane for 8 cards. $40.00/slot
$80 am3 board + $30 sempron + $10 ram + $10 extender + $220 backplane for 10 cards. $35/slot (and lots of fun with 8 card driver limit)

vs.

$80 am3 board + $30 sempron + $10 ram + 2 $10 extenders for 4 cards. $35/slot.

Meh.

bitcoin: 1Fb77Xq5ePFER8GtKRn2KDbDTVpJKfKmpz
i0coin: jNdvyvd6v6gV3kVJLD7HsB5ZwHyHwAkfdw
sadpandatech

View Profile
January 18, 2012, 04:16:47 PM

Well, let's see...
$50 am3 board + $30 sempron + $10 ram + $10 extender + $220 backplane for 8 cards. $40.00/slot
$80 am3 board + $30 sempron + $10 ram + $10 extender + $220 backplane for 10 cards. $35/slot (and lots of fun with 8 card driver limit)

vs.

Meh.

Shouldn't the vs comparison use 7 cards?

i.e.,

$80 am3 board + $30 sempron + $10 ram + 5 $10 extenders for 7 cards. ~$24/slot

Which I was hoping would make the standard version look worse. *slaps forehead*

edit; I suppose the other benefit would be the ability to use an even cheaper mobo with 1x 16x slot.

- GA

ArtForz

Activity: 406
Merit: 257

View Profile
January 18, 2012, 04:36:07 PM

Well, let's see...

vs.

Meh.

Shouldn't the vs comparison use 7 cards?

i.e.,

$80 am3 board + $30 sempron + $10 ram + 5 $10 extenders for 7 cards. ~$24/slot

Which I was hoping would make the standard version look worse. *slaps forehead*

edit; I suppose the other benefit would be the ability to use an even cheaper mobo with 1x 16x slot.
That's why I put that $60 via board there, cheapest board w/ cpu and a PCIe I could come up with quickly, atom boards w/ PCIe tend to be > $80 and any cheap AMx + sempron is also > $60.
Btw, where do you find a AMx board w/ 7 PCIe slots for $80?
And yes, I left out quite a few things. But start adding stuff like PSUs, materials/time for custom racks, PDUs, ventilation, ... and the whole thing gets overly complex. and the +$/slot ends up about the same.

bitcoin: 1Fb77Xq5ePFER8GtKRn2KDbDTVpJKfKmpz
i0coin: jNdvyvd6v6gV3kVJLD7HsB5ZwHyHwAkfdw
chungenhung
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1005

View Profile
January 18, 2012, 05:02:57 PM

Well, let's see...

vs.

Meh.
This. That is why I have no interest in PCI-E expansion boards.
rearwheels

Activity: 444
Merit: 254

View Profile
January 19, 2012, 05:23:42 AM

I'll summarise some points in that page as best as I can.

1. Prototype board.
2. It runs only 1x so it's not suitable for gaming. Cheesy
3. Only tested in Linux. But should work in windows, as there is no software to install.
4. (If I read this correctly) There is separate 12V connector to power the cards connected to this daughter board. (I think you can see it in one of the pictures)
5. Chinese will take over the world. (j/k. My own words)

That's all.
bulanula

View Profile
January 19, 2012, 09:40:35 AM

I really don't know what to do guys, LOL.

Should I buy this ?

I think this is quite good where prices of 2*5870 << price of 5970 ?
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
January 19, 2012, 02:01:25 PM

I really don't know what to do guys, LOL.

Should I buy this ?

I think this is quite good where prices of 2*5870 << price of 5970 ?

Are you sure.

Price out:
"normal" rig w/ 3x5870 (no extenders necessary)
"normal" rig w/ 4x5870 (using extenders & entry level board)
"normal" rig w/ 6x5870 (using extenders & 6x PCIe board)
"extender rig" w/ 8x5870 ( low end board & 1x extender board)

then calculate entire system cost per GH of each system.  I think you will find that it isn't as good as you think.

The problem is AMD drivers.  Currently it is easy to get 4 graphics cards on 1 board.  Getting 6 is more complicated (and expensive) but certainly possible.

So while this is a 7 slot design you aren't gaining 7 GPU.  You are gaining 2 to 4 more GPU.  $200 for 2 to 4 more slots = $50 to $100 per slot.   No rig I have ever built costs $50 to $100 per slot (excluding GPU).  If AMD ever changed their drivers to allow 16 (or better unlimited) GPU per system well then it might make more sense.
rjk

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

1ngldh

View Profile
January 19, 2012, 04:20:52 PM

If AMD ever changed their drivers to allow 16 (or better unlimited) GPU per system well then it might make more sense.
How much worse are the open source ATI drivers for linux than the proprietary ones for mining? It seems that it should be possible to modify them to remove a limit, but if they perform badly then there may be no point.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
January 19, 2012, 04:22:02 PM

If AMD ever changed their drivers to allow 16 (or better unlimited) GPU per system well then it might make more sense.
How much worse are the open source ATI drivers for linux than the proprietary ones for mining? It seems that it should be possible to modify them to remove a limit, but if they perform badly then there may be no point.

There are no open sources drivers which are OpenCL capable.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: