Bitcoin Forum
April 20, 2024, 05:54:42 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Which exchange is good for Bitcoinica's future?
Mt. Gox
TradeHill
Bitcoinica Independent Exchange
Others (comment below)

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Do you think Bitcoinica should switch to TradeHill? [Edited]  (Read 7012 times)
zhoutong (OP)
VIP

Activity: 490
Merit: 502

View Profile WWW
January 18, 2012, 02:36:40 PM
Last edit: January 18, 2012, 03:27:09 PM by zhoutong

I think it's time to have another poll about a potential change. Honestly we're still exploring options, but we definitely want your opinions!

It's important to note that we are not going to have a formal agreement with any exchange. We will just be their client, until they shut us down (which is unlikely to happen.)

Now it's your time to vote. You have two votes. Please consider the following points when you make decisions:

- Market depth
- Trading fees
- Possibility of wide public adoption (if we plan to abandon Mt. Gox)
- Deposits and withdrawals (and withdrawal limits)
- Public reputation and trustworthiness.

Some facts to note:

- Bitcoinica is the largest Bitcoin trading platform if we exclude the hedging volume from Mt. Gox.
- Bitcoinica's hedging volume can be as high as 200,000 BTC in 24 hours.
- Currently Mt. Gox is the most "official" exchange.

EDIT:

A lot of people have chosen "Bitcoinica Independent Exchange" (it will be renamed to something different), I will simply share my ideas for this:

- Insanely low fees, like 0.1%. (Because we have no profit pressure.)
- Websocket API
- BitInstant support
- TCP-based API
- Rackspace Cloud Co-location (1ms to our server)
- Redis-based trading engine (thousands of orders per second)
- Full access to Bitcoinica's limit order liquidity
- Fully independent (You don't have to use Bitcoinica to use the exchange.)

Founder of NameTerrific (https://www.nameterrific.com/). Co-founder of CoinJar (https://coinjar.io/)

Donations for my future Bitcoin projects: 19Uk3tiD5XkBcmHyQYhJxp9QHoub7RosVb

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"With e-currency based on cryptographic proof, without the need to trust a third party middleman, money can be secure and transactions effortless." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
SkRRJyTC
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 18, 2012, 02:41:32 PM

Is it possible to just use the resources of both?  You could even pocket some arbitrage profit.
teflone

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

You're fat, because you dont have any pics on FB

View Profile
January 18, 2012, 02:43:49 PM

I hate bitcoinica for using mtgox, but I love bitcoinica because of Zhou, and his professionalism.

Who would you rather support people ?

I love that you listen and act Zhou.. dont stop. Smiley

For Canadians by Canadians: Canada's Bitcoin Community - https://www.coinforum.ca/
rebuilder
Legendary

Activity: 1615

View Profile
January 18, 2012, 02:46:20 PM

If you could do arbitrage between all, or at least many, of the exchanges, mightn't that increase liquidity on every exchange? What are the downsides, apart from it being potentially difficult to get done?

Selling out to advertisers shows you respect neither yourself nor the rest of us.
---------------------------------------------------------------
Too many low-quality posts? Mods not keeping things clean enough? Self-moderated threads let you keep signature spammers and trolls out!
Mushoz

Activity: 686

Bitbuy

View Profile WWW
January 18, 2012, 02:58:57 PM

I don't understand why people are voting Mtgox (Or Tradehill for that matter)... If it is technically possible and feasible, using more exchanges is going to be a good thing. It will increase liquidity on the other exchanges, will allow smaller spreads due to arbitrage opportunities for Bitcoinica and will stop Mtgox being a single point of failure.

In my opinion it would still be best if they would become an independent exchange though. They are the only ones currently, who have the funds, popularity and features to make this possible. It would also solve the single point of failure problem and would reduce slippage  even further, because they will be able to do high frequency trading and have the least amount of response times. On top of that, they won't have to pay Mtgox a 0.25% fee on every trade, reducing spreads even further! I'm not sure what's not to like?

Edit: And they will set the bar higher, forcing the other exchanges to innovate as well!

www.bitbuy.nl - Koop eenvoudig, snel en goedkoop bitcoins bij Bitbuy!
Crypt_Current

Shame on everything; regret nothing.

View Profile
January 18, 2012, 03:36:17 PM

A lot of people have chosen "Bitcoinica Independent Exchange" (it will be renamed to something different), I will simply share my ideas for this:

- Websocket API
- BitInstant support
- TCP-based API

Excellent.  It will force Gox to go hard or go home.

10% off at CampBX for LIFE:  https://campbx.com/main.php?r=C9a5izBQ5vq  ----  Authorized BitVoucher MEGA reseller (& BTC donations appreciated):  https://bitvoucher.co/affl/1HkvK8o8WWDpCTSQGnek7DH9gT1LWeV5s3/
LTC:  LRL6vb6XBRrEEifB73DiEiYZ9vbRy99H41  NMC:  NGb2spdTGpWj8THCPyCainaXenwDhAW1ZT
teflone

Activity: 770

You're fat, because you dont have any pics on FB

View Profile
January 18, 2012, 03:39:14 PM

I don't understand why people are voting Mtgox (Or Tradehill for that matter)... If it is technically possible and feasible, using more exchanges is going to be a good thing. It will increase liquidity on the other exchanges, will allow smaller spreads due to arbitrage opportunities for Bitcoinica and will stop Mtgox being a single point of failure.

In my opinion it would still be best if they would become an independent exchange though. They are the only ones currently, who have the funds, popularity and features to make this possible. It would also solve the single point of failure problem and would reduce slippage  even further, because they will be able to do high frequency trading and have the least amount of response times. On top of that, they won't have to pay Mtgox a 0.25% fee on every trade, reducing spreads even further! I'm not sure what's not to like?

Edit: And they will set the bar higher, forcing the other exchanges to innovate as well!

All of this NEEDS to be repeated.. Smiley

For Canadians by Canadians: Canada's Bitcoin Community - https://www.coinforum.ca/
blueadept

Activity: 225
Merit: 101

View Profile
January 18, 2012, 03:47:53 PM

- Websocket API
- BitInstant support
- TCP-based API

I'd like to add:

- Predictable deposit/withdrawal procedures, times, etc. and predictable identity verification procedures if necessary
- Liquidity rebate (a fraction of the fees charged) to pay liquidity providers/market makers for providing order book depth

And eventually:

- Options and futures on BTCUSD (settled in USD for merchant hedging)
- Options and futures on BTCUSD and other exchange rates, stocks, indexes, commodities, etc. (settled in BTC for trading/synthetic investing in the outside economy)

You've got the knowledge and background of building excellent trading systems.  I think you should go for it.

Like my posts?  Connect with me on LinkedIn and endorse my "Bitcoin" skill.
Decentralized, instant off-chain payments.
phantomcircuit

Activity: 463
Merit: 252

View Profile
January 18, 2012, 03:59:24 PM

Ok I'll bite.

Have you considered how difficult it would be for you to offer payment services?
Crypt_Current

Shame on everything; regret nothing.

View Profile
January 18, 2012, 04:01:18 PM

Ok I'll bite.

Have you considered how difficult it would be for you to offer payment services?

You will have to have Dwolla available or I (and probably many others) will not be able to trade.

10% off at CampBX for LIFE:  https://campbx.com/main.php?r=C9a5izBQ5vq  ----  Authorized BitVoucher MEGA reseller (& BTC donations appreciated):  https://bitvoucher.co/affl/1HkvK8o8WWDpCTSQGnek7DH9gT1LWeV5s3/
LTC:  LRL6vb6XBRrEEifB73DiEiYZ9vbRy99H41  NMC:  NGb2spdTGpWj8THCPyCainaXenwDhAW1ZT
waspoza

Activity: 602
Merit: 508

Firstbits: 1waspoza

View Profile
January 18, 2012, 04:01:35 PM

- Websocket API
- BitInstant support
- TCP-based API

Sounds amazing to me. BTW any chance for PLN support? (Polish currency)
zhoutong (OP)
VIP

Activity: 490

View Profile WWW
January 18, 2012, 04:06:15 PM

Ok I'll bite.

I have considered that. Things will be easy soon.

Founder of NameTerrific (https://www.nameterrific.com/). Co-founder of CoinJar (https://coinjar.io/)

Donations for my future Bitcoin projects: 19Uk3tiD5XkBcmHyQYhJxp9QHoub7RosVb
phorensic

Activity: 630

View Profile
January 18, 2012, 04:38:13 PM

Anything to take dependence off of gox is good.  Even if you go independent I think you should still hedge on gox and tradehill.
Mushoz

Bitbuy

View Profile WWW
January 18, 2012, 04:48:24 PM

Anything to take dependence off of gox is good.  Even if you go independent I think you should still hedge on gox and tradehill.

And pay a 0.25% fee to Mtgox, have higher slippage risks due to slower response times and have problems with withdrawals processing because of the daily and monthly limits? The first two points will increase the spreads (so the costs) for the costumers, and the last one is downright inconvenient and borderline unacceptable. I'm all for an independent Bitcoinica exchange!

www.bitbuy.nl - Koop eenvoudig, snel en goedkoop bitcoins bij Bitbuy!
jojo69
Legendary

Activity: 3150
Merit: 4303

diamond-handed zealot

View Profile
January 18, 2012, 05:31:31 PM

build it and they will come

This is not some pseudoeconomic post-modern Libertarian cult, it's an un-led, crowd-sourced mega startup organized around mutual self-interest where problems, whether of the theoretical or purely practical variety, are treated as temporary and, ultimately, solvable.
Censorship of e-gold was easy. Censorship of Bitcoin will be… entertaining.
ineededausername

Activity: 784

bitcoin hundred-aire

View Profile
January 18, 2012, 05:34:04 PM

kill gox! gox must die. don't give a fuck how you do it.

(BFL)^2 < 0
P_Shep
Legendary

Activity: 1795
Merit: 1198

This is not OK.

View Profile
January 18, 2012, 05:53:24 PM

If Bitcoinica were it's own exchange, with a lower spread/fees, quicker updates/processing, I'd probably sign up.
PatrickHarnett

Activity: 518

View Profile
January 18, 2012, 05:57:47 PM

I read some of the Bitcoinica threads with interest, not because I use the service, but because of the trouble people get themselves into.  This topic is worth commenting on as there is some incentive to reduce the dominance (and perceived problems with Gox).

Switching to TradeHill (or Intersango as the other apparently well run exchange) could do wonders for their liquidity, as Bitcoinica hedges their position in the market being measured against.

One idea is to offer two products, one pegged against Gox, the other against Tradehill - that will give people extra ability to vote with their feet, rather than having a possibly disruptive change in rules (moving from settling against one index to another).

Also, Bitcoinica appears to be working well and setting up an exchange will not necessarily work as well - stick to the thing that works - distracting into a second unknown could kill both.
naima53

Activity: 616

View Profile
January 18, 2012, 06:14:27 PM

+1
I'm all for an independent Bitcoinica exchange!

I'll bite.

Please! Realise "stop loss"! You will have an improbable success!

Zhou, thanks for what you are doing!

Donate me) 16f6iWHHkVEnDReeBQPT9GwCNwUfPTXrp2
pirateat40
Avast Ye!

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

"Yes I am a pirate, 200 years too late."

View Profile WWW
January 18, 2012, 06:19:09 PM

As much as I think becoming your own exchange is a good thing for everyone I do think we will be heading to a centralized exchange like stocks and currency is traded.  I know we all want a free market and options but I think at this point Mt. Gox is going to be the exchange that ends up becoming the central authority and the rest will simply be brokers.  We are still a ways off from that but I think its coming.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: