Bitcoin Forum
June 26, 2024, 04:31:27 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Residential Hobbyist Miners: power concerns?  (Read 3868 times)
jonnybravo0311 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1344
Merit: 1023

Mine at Jonny's Pool

View Profile WWW
May 08, 2014, 09:48:01 PM

Hey everyone,

This topic is geared towards those of us who are mining in our homes, and how to distribute your mining gear within those confines.  What I'm really interested in finding out is how people who have multiple TH/s at home are doing it.  You so-called garage miners, hobbyists, etc, tell us how you've set things up!

Your standard residence has both 15 and 20 amp circuits.  Those 20 amp circuits are usually occupied by things like your electric range, washer/dryer, etc.  The 15 amp ones manage everything else - outlets, lights, etc.

Under continuous load a 15 amp circuit can provide 1440 watts.  Since you've got your miners running 24/7, that's what I'd count as continuos load Smiley.  We'll use the Antminer S1 as our hardware.  It's pretty cheap (about 0.5BTC) and at normal settings claims 360 watt power usage for 180GH/s, so it's a great candidate for the hobbyist.

I read accounts on these boards about folks with 6+ S1s running at their home.  At most you're driving 4 of them on a single circuit, which would max out that circuit's capacity for continuous load.  So, you'll need to consume about 1.5 circuits for your mining.  Do you all just shut those rooms down to anything other than mining?  Sorry kids, you can't have separate bedrooms any longer, daddy's gotta mine some BTC!

I'll share my setup, which is currently 2 S1s.  I have them over clocked and both are driven from a single Corsair HX1050.  Together they draw about 800-850 watts.  They are in the basement for a few reasons:
  • It's cooler down there
  • Not a lot of power used down there on a regular basis
  • No more complaining from the significant other about "those damn mining things"

So, tell us your setups!  How'd you distribute your miners around the house?

Jonny's Pool - Mine with us and help us grow!  Support a pool that supports Bitcoin, not a hardware manufacturer's pockets!  No SPV cheats.  No empty blocks.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
May 08, 2014, 09:56:08 PM

Run a dedicated circuit and make it a 240V 30A.  Use a NEMA L6-30 outlet as most PDUs use that style plug.   It is good for 80%*240*30 = 5.76 KW.
jonnybravo0311 (OP)
Legendary

Mine at Jonny's Pool

View Profile WWW
May 08, 2014, 10:06:55 PM

Run a dedicated circuit and make it a 240V 30A.  Use a NEMA L6-30 outlet as most PDUs use that style plug.   It is good for 80%*240*30 = 5.76 KW.

I'd imagine that's a pretty significant expenditure to get installed.  I'm not an electrician, so maybe it's not a big deal to have something like that installed in my home.  Got a ballpark figure on something like that?

Jonny's Pool - Mine with us and help us grow!  Support a pool that supports Bitcoin, not a hardware manufacturer's pockets!  No SPV cheats.  No empty blocks.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
May 08, 2014, 10:10:01 PM

Run a dedicated circuit and make it a 240V 30A.  Use a NEMA L6-30 outlet as most PDUs use that style plug.   It is good for 80%*240*30 = 5.76 KW.

I'd imagine that's a pretty significant expenditure to get installed.  I'm not an electrician, so maybe it's not a big deal to have something like that installed in my home.  Got a ballpark figure on something like that?

I don't know.  I did it myself.  It costs me maybe $60 in parts (I put in two outlets and two breakers at the same time) and an hour of work.   A lot depends on where the outlet will be relative to your breaker panel.  You mentioned having rigs in the basement.  If your breaker panel is in the basement, you have room for a new double pole breaker and you don't mind a surface mount box and surface mount wiring it will be a lot cheaper than if an electrician needs to juggle around breakers, put in a sub panel, run some wiring half way through the house inside the walls and through floors, etc.
jonnybravo0311 (OP)
Legendary

Mine at Jonny's Pool

View Profile WWW
May 08, 2014, 10:19:24 PM

Run a dedicated circuit and make it a 240V 30A.  Use a NEMA L6-30 outlet as most PDUs use that style plug.   It is good for 80%*240*30 = 5.76 KW.

I'd imagine that's a pretty significant expenditure to get installed.  I'm not an electrician, so maybe it's not a big deal to have something like that installed in my home.  Got a ballpark figure on something like that?

I don't know.  I did it myself.  It costs me maybe $60 in parts (I put in two outlets and two breakers at the same time) and an hour of work.   A lot depends on where the outlet will be relative to your breaker panel.  You mentioned having rigs in the basement.  If your breaker panel is in the basement, you have room for a new double pole breaker and you don't mind a surface mount box and surface mount wiring it will be a lot cheaper than if an electrician needs to juggle around breakers, put in a sub panel, run some wiring half way through the house inside the walls and through floors, etc.

Oh, that's not too bad.  Unfortunately, my breaker panel is in my garage, and I'm pretty sure I'd hear some interesting complaints from the little lady trying to convince her to just ignore those wires running through the house Smiley

I'd love to throw everything in the garage, but it isn't temperature controlled, so the upcoming summer heat would not be very friendly to a server rack out there.  Would be fantastic in the winter, though!

m_thur

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 08, 2014, 11:20:53 PM

Hello Folks,

Think this discussion should be divided in different regional Areas, cause the Standard power supply settings around the world are significant different in this world (e.g. Europe for a 1L/N/PE circuit at home is 230V 16A which results in 3.6 kW on one circuit, USA same Standard type rates 1L/N/PE 110V 15A results in 1.6 kW on one circuit).

For Europe / Germany:

3L/N/PE with 230V on every L is Standard System for suppling homes.

So if you misuse the cricuit from your oven for example or build up a second oven cricuit (3L/N/PE) 10 kW on one cricuit is no Problem with just having one cable with 5 wires to install, which makes 10 kW. Needed components are sold in every Hardware store. If you build up a cricuit or misuse a cricuit that was installed for a flow type calorifier even 20 kW are possible (3L/N/PE 32A), but here you have to use a bigger cable (4mm² (on wall) or 6mm² (Sub wall)) and a 3x32A cricuit braker, which both may not be aviable at every little hardware store. Also you really should be familiar with electric installation rules (e.g. in Germany given by the VDE) to do a installation like this, especially cause you should not use the Standard 16A (SchuKo) plugs to connect to that kind of power supply unless you build up a subdistribution in the room where you set up the rigs, which splits the 3L/N/PE 32A supply in 6 cricuits with 1L/N/PE 16A specification.

In other countries with lower voltage or other supply Systems things may get more complicated.

Same for the cooling issue, in cold regions you may even have no Problems when installing in the Basement or in the Garage, because ist f**cking cold there anyway, even during summertime. In other places you need to install a climatisation which at least brings cooling power of 2 times the power consumtion of your rigs. Which means this clima System should be expected to use half as much electrical power as your rigs consume. If I would have mining hardware that consumes power in regions of 10 kW I'd seek for a cooling solution, that reuses the thermal energy from the rigs for the heating System and/or the hot water supply or even to produce electrical energy.

Happy discussion

pekv2

Activity: 770
Merit: 502

View Profile
May 08, 2014, 11:23:16 PM

I am not sure if it is worth it, but use a natural gas generator to power your mining farm. Don't know if this come to mind for most, but it has been on my mind since I met mining. Same with solar panels and even a small windbind turb.

https://encrypted.google.com/search?q=wind+mill+turb&sa=G&gbv=1&prmd=ivns&source=univ&tbm=shop&tbo=u&ei=GBJsU8yfNJGSyAT6hYGABw&ved=0CBoQsxg

edit:
idea's run in my head all times of the day, just don't have the money to kickstart the ideas.
jonnybravo0311 (OP)
Legendary

Mine at Jonny's Pool

View Profile WWW
May 09, 2014, 12:43:33 AM

Hello Folks,

Think this discussion should be divided in different regional Areas, cause the Standard power supply settings around the world are significant different in this world (e.g. Europe for a 1L/N/PE circuit at home is 230V 16A which results in 3.6 kW on one circuit, USA same Standard type rates 1L/N/PE 110V 15A results in 1.6 kW on one circuit).

For Europe / Germany:

3L/N/PE with 230V on every L is Standard System for suppling homes.

So if you misuse the cricuit from your oven for example or build up a second oven cricuit (3L/N/PE) 10 kW on one cricuit is no Problem with just having one cable with 5 wires to install, which makes 10 kW. Needed components are sold in every Hardware store. If you build up a cricuit or misuse a cricuit that was installed for a flow type calorifier even 20 kW are possible (3L/N/PE 32A), but here you have to use a bigger cable (4mm² (on wall) or 6mm² (Sub wall)) and a 3x32A cricuit braker, which both may not be aviable at every little hardware store. Also you really should be familiar with electric installation rules (e.g. in Germany given by the VDE) to do a installation like this, especially cause you should not use the Standard 16A (SchuKo) plugs to connect to that kind of power supply unless you build up a subdistribution in the room where you set up the rigs, which splits the 3L/N/PE 32A supply in 6 cricuits with 1L/N/PE 16A specification.

In other countries with lower voltage or other supply Systems things may get more complicated.

Same for the cooling issue, in cold regions you may even have no Problems when installing in the Basement or in the Garage, because ist f**cking cold there anyway, even during summertime. In other places you need to install a climatisation which at least brings cooling power of 2 times the power consumtion of your rigs. Which means this clima System should be expected to use half as much electrical power as your rigs consume. If I would have mining hardware that consumes power in regions of 10 kW I'd seek for a cooling solution, that reuses the thermal energy from the rigs for the heating System and/or the hot water supply or even to produce electrical energy.

Happy discussion

Great point, and I should have specified that my questions were based upon US systems.  I certainly invite everyone to discuss their setups in their respective regions, whether or not they run into power constraints, and what they have done to mitigate them.

I am not sure if it is worth it, but use a natural gas generator to power your mining farm. Don't know if this come to mind for most, but it has been on my mind since I met mining. Same with solar panels and even a small windbind turb.

https://encrypted.google.com/search?q=wind+mill+turb&sa=G&gbv=1&prmd=ivns&source=univ&tbm=shop&tbo=u&ei=GBJsU8yfNJGSyAT6hYGABw&ved=0CBoQsxg

edit:
idea's run in my head all times of the day, just don't have the money to kickstart the ideas.

Funny you mention generators, that was one of the first things I thought of to provide the supplemental electricity.  Unfortunately it's pretty cost prohibitive, and if I'm getting flak from the little lady about a couple mining rigs in the basement, can you imagine the hell I'd receive trying to put in a giant generator to power those damn mining things? Smiley

greenlion

Activity: 667
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 09, 2014, 01:55:21 AM

I think the basement angle is the best because the main thing I would be concerned with is the potential for electrical fires. Don't try to cut corners with the quality of the power supplies you're running, and make sure your wiring is in good condition. I would elevate your units on some non-flammable surface like cinder blocks (if the possibility of water is a real concern) and place them far away from any easily-flammable materials.
iglasses
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 09, 2014, 03:19:39 AM

I am in the US.  I am a flea on a donkey's butt pushing almost 2Ths with Antminer S1's and a few BE Cubes.  I am not running from a residence and am pulling a few thousand watts across all of my equipment.  If I had to run this stuff at my home there is zero chance I would be doing it.  My miners are in a temperature controlled data room (not a data center) with over 15,000 watts being provided to the room in the aggregate.

When I see all these pics of guys running stacks of various hardware and wires hanging out all over place on carpets, in kitchens, in high travel areas, etc. my heart skips a beat.  I really don't know how they do it.

I think the main takeaway here should be for folks to put safety #1 ahead of EVERYTHING else.  You can't break even or get rich if your house burns down with you, and god forbid, someone else in it!  There was a thread on here not too long ago about someone who had a fire and IIRC it burned the computer he had his wallet on with it!  So he lost his equipment AND whatever coins he had mined before the fire.  Devastating!

Every time I add a new piece I monitor it and all associated connections very closely for at least the first few hours.  You can do everything right and still get a bad board, etc.
Watch your connections.  Don't over split!
Heat is your #1 enemy.  If something is running abnormally hot there is a reason for it!  It will not just go away!

Be careful!
Happy Mining  Smiley

I only have a signature because I'm allowed.
Bitcoin++

Activity: 180
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 09, 2014, 08:57:30 AM

Every time I add a new piece I monitor it and all associated connections very closely for at least the first few hours.  You can do everything right and still get a bad board, etc.
Heat is your #1 enemy.  If something is running abnormally hot there is a reason for it!  It will not just go away!

Be careful!
Happy Mining  Smiley

+1  Smiley
m_thur

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 09, 2014, 11:53:09 AM

Good Point +1 @ safety first

I like that "getting flak from the little lady" thing.. This is a more immanent (even not more dangerous) thread to the "mining at home" thing, so we should produce solutions where the little lady gets happy with...

Any ideas, guys? Using the thermal power of the rigs for heating a water bed? replacing oven by mining rigs and promising that little Lady will never be in the Need to cook again, cause you can afford going out for dinner instead from the winnings?

How does this affect the rentability?

:-))

rhj12345

Activity: 138

View Profile
May 09, 2014, 12:18:57 PM

You are a smart person! I am the same way when it comes to mining.

1 Had a qualified Electrician add 6 20 amp circuits in my garage. Cost was $1100, really only $600 as I built his website for $500.
2 Added north and south wall vents for airflow. With added fans the heat dropped by almost half.
3 All 19 S1 units are on a restaurant type metal rack, great for airflow. Every unit has an extra fan for overclocking.
4 Every unit I get in is tested for 24 hours and sits on a metal plate for that testing duration, before being added to the farm.
5 I use CGRemote software so I can see temps anytime I want and it will send me an email if any units go offline.
6 My wife knows where all of the breakers are and how to shut down the power to the whole house if I am not home.

For most this is a hobby, but we don't need to burn down our house doing it.

Safety first!!!

Hope this helps.
Rob Cool
jonnybravo0311 (OP)
Legendary

Mine at Jonny's Pool

View Profile WWW
May 09, 2014, 12:21:56 PM

Good Point +1 @ safety first

I like that "getting flak from the little lady" thing.. This is a more immanent (even not more dangerous) thread to the "mining at home" thing, so we should produce solutions where the little lady gets happy with...

Any ideas, guys? Using the thermal power of the rigs for heating a water bed? replacing oven by mining rigs and promising that little Lady will never be in the Need to cook again, cause you can afford going out for dinner instead from the winnings?

How does this affect the rentability?

:-))

HA!  Heating a water bed.  Keeping the house warm in the winter by placing a miner or two in each room.  No need to cook because the miners are producing enough daily to allow meals to be eaten out.  All are great reasons to give for allowing mining hardware Smiley

I have actually said to the Little Lady, "Honey, look at it this way.  My investment turns into more jewelry for you."

@iglasses you bring up a very good point: safety first.  I'm certainly not implying, nor advocating, people doing crazy things like overloading circuits, leaving bare wires around, etc.  I don't want to see anyone hurt in the name of a few extra hashes per second.

What are some other setups?  Would love to hear what you've done and how you've done it.

jonnybravo0311 (OP)
Legendary

Mine at Jonny's Pool

View Profile WWW
May 09, 2014, 12:25:07 PM

You are a smart person! I am the same way when it comes to mining.

1 Had a qualified Electrician add 6 20 amp circuits in my garage. Cost was $1100, really only $600 as I built his website for $500.
2 Added north and south wall vents for airflow. With added fans the heat dropped by almost half.
3 All 19 S1 units are on a restaurant type metal rack, great for airflow. Every unit has an extra fan for overclocking.
4 Every unit I get in is tested for 24 hours and sits on a metal plate for that testing duration, before being added to the farm.
5 I use CGRemote software so I can see temps anytime I want and it will send me an email if any units go offline.
6 My wife knows where all of the breakers are and how to shut down the power to the whole house if I am not home.

For most this is a hobby, but we don't need to burn down our house doing it.

Safety first!!!

Hope this helps.
Rob Cool

You replied right before I did... great post.  You added extra circuits - a similar suggestion to what DeathAndTaxes made earlier.  19 S1s... nice garage setup Smiley

_Miracle

Activity: 909
Merit: 660

Do due diligence

View Profile WWW
May 09, 2014, 07:09:28 PM

Yes I'm a hobbyist and have my Ants set up in my living room. 2x Ants on 2x Corsair 600 and planning for a 3rd to split between the 2 power supplies.
That will be the limit. My house is old and in need of an electrical upgrade.

There 'used' to be more truth in forums than anywhere else.  Twitter:  @cryptobitchicks  Spock: "I am expressing multiple attitudes simultaneously. To which are you referring?"  INTJ-A
KaChingCoinDev

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 09, 2014, 07:12:27 PM

Hobbyist mining altcoins.

Had 4 rigs of about 1400kh each, sold 1 and down to 3 rigs. Lost a ton of $ due to Scrypt ASIC Sad
jonnybravo0311 (OP)
Legendary

Mine at Jonny's Pool

View Profile WWW
May 09, 2014, 07:57:59 PM

Yes I'm a hobbyist and have my Ants set up in my living room. 2x Ants on 2x Corsair 600 and planning for a 3rd to split between the 2 power supplies.

Might want to be careful there.  Assuming you haven't over clocked the S1s, and if you believe Bitmain's claims of 360 watts each, you're looking at 1080 watts minimum on that circuit to power the miners when you get your third.  Assuming you've got a 15a circuit breaker (or fuse since you said your house was old), you can draw 1440 watts continuously, or at most 1800 watts before that breaker/fuse trips.  Hope you don't have too much other equipment drawing power in your living room Smiley

fattypig

Activity: 224

View Profile WWW
May 10, 2014, 02:05:11 AM

Hobbyist mining altcoins.

Had 4 rigs of about 1400kh each, sold 1 and down to 3 rigs. Lost a ton of $ due to Scrypt ASIC Sad

Isn't it still profitable with GPU mining x11 due to the power saving? I am currently mining on groest Smiley

_Miracle

Activity: 909
Merit: 660

Do due diligence

View Profile WWW
May 10, 2014, 05:25:13 AM

Might want to be careful there.  Assuming you haven't over clocked the S1s, and if you believe Bitmain's claims of 360 watts each, you're looking at 1080 watts minimum on that circuit to power the miners when you get your third.  Assuming you've got a 15a circuit breaker (or fuse since you said your house was old), you can draw 1440 watts continuously, or at most 1800 watts before that breaker/fuse trips.  Hope you don't have too much other equipment drawing power in your living room Smiley

Not overclocked, though I keep going back and forth on doing that instead of adding the 3rd. Not much else on the (known) circuit since setting up the 2nd but I haven't completely checked all of the outlets and switches (yet) to be certain. Not everything makes sense in an older house like this, I've seen some "interesting" (read: redneck rigged) "upgrades" (read: I wish they hadn't f'n done that;-).
Now I've done some "interesting" things with electricity in my younger years but I'm trying to keep things safer these days. What I would really like is to figure out (inexpensively) how to run a small farm through one of my dedicated 220 outlets.

There 'used' to be more truth in forums than anywhere else.  Twitter:  @cryptobitchicks  Spock: "I am expressing multiple attitudes simultaneously. To which are you referring?"  INTJ-A
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: