Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 03:35:10 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: question about placing miners  (Read 1296 times)
rizzler (OP)

Activity: 35
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 18, 2012, 04:20:54 PM
Last edit: January 18, 2012, 04:46:09 PM by rizzler

let's make this easy, i have a few computers at a house with internet coming from a school, if i where to start 2 miners onsaid computers, would the school be able to detect that the computers run bitcoin miners, yes or no? that's all i wonder.

if yes: what would the ods of detection be ?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"There should not be any signed int. If you've found a signed int somewhere, please tell me (within the next 25 years please) and I'll change it to unsigned int." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
BurtW
Legendary

Activity: 2646
Merit: 1131

All paid signature campaigns should be banned.

View Profile WWW
January 18, 2012, 05:03:52 PM

1) The bandwith used for mining is very small so I don't think your internet provider will care
2) The power consumed by (serious) mining is very large.  Your electricity bill will go way up.
3) The heat caused by (serious) mining is very large - do you have air conditioning?  Again, your electricity bill is the issue.

Oh, I think I get the jist of your question now:  you are stealing free internet from an open wireless system.  Am I right?

Our family was terrorized by Homeland Security.  Read all about it here:  http://www.jmwagner.com/ and http://www.burtw.com/  Any donations to help us recover from the $300,000 in legal fees and forced donations to the Federal Asset Forfeiture slush fund are greatly appreciated!
jake262144

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 18, 2012, 05:15:33 PM

...would the school be able to detect that the computers run bitcoin miners, yes or no? that's all i wonder.
if yes: what would the ods of detection be ?

Of course they would, what kind of question is that? You're connecting through their infrastructure.
The odds of being caught... are inversely proportional to the admin's laziness Smiley

Note, however, that should the admin take a glance at the AP's control panel (eg. for troubleshooting some issue) your machines will stand out like nudists in a convent - mostly due to nonstandard ports and constant connections.
BinoX

Activity: 140

View Profile
January 18, 2012, 05:23:35 PM

It's not the size of the requests, but the AMOUNT of requests that are made...

I ran a miner at work (with permission from the sysadmin [note: I AM the sysadmin]) Over a 2 week period... That one machine (275mhash) made so many requests to just 1 site that it stuck out on the web logs like a sore thumb...

So yes, they will be able to tell very easily.
rizzler (OP)

Activity: 35
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 18, 2012, 06:08:08 PM
Last edit: January 18, 2012, 06:28:36 PM by rizzler

Oh, I think I get the jist of your question now:  you are stealing free internet from an open wireless system.  Am I right?

yes, and electricity Smiley

I ran a miner at work (with permission from the sysadmin [note: I AM the sysadmin]) Over a 2 week period... That one machine (275mhash) made so many requests to just 1 site that it stuck out on the web logs like a sore thumb...

Really? i am having a look trough my logs on my linuxrouter right now and i do not se almost none towards my pools ip or the port they are using, and currently i have 5 miners in my appartment.

but in short then, if they have a look and it will stand out, and i guess 2 rigs running at 1800~mhash would just scream "LOOK AT ME" ?
BurtW
Legendary

Activity: 2646
Merit: 1131

All paid signature campaigns should be banned.

View Profile WWW
January 18, 2012, 06:24:42 PM

Nice.  "Free" internet and electricity.  What is your hash rate for all your miners combined?

Our family was terrorized by Homeland Security.  Read all about it here:  http://www.jmwagner.com/ and http://www.burtw.com/  Any donations to help us recover from the $300,000 in legal fees and forced donations to the Federal Asset Forfeiture slush fund are greatly appreciated!
eleuthria
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1007

View Profile
January 18, 2012, 07:03:17 PM

Oh, I think I get the jist of your question now:  you are stealing free internet from an open wireless system.  Am I right?

yes, and electricity Smiley

Really? i am having a look trough my logs on my linuxrouter right now and i do not se almost none towards my pools ip or the port they are using, and currently i have 5 miners in my appartment.

but in short then, if they have a look and it will stand out, and i guess 2 rigs running at 1800~mhash would just scream "LOOK AT ME" ?

If you were using tools a lot of offices use to monitor employees, bitcoin monitoring would stick out like a sore thumb.  It's all HTTP based requests, on a non-standard port.  Most miners are sending more than one request per minute, so if you were to sort a list of all the HTTP requests made by your office by number of requests, odds are it would be at the very top.

RIP BTC Guild, April 2011 - June 2015
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
January 18, 2012, 07:08:42 PM

@ 275MH/s it will take 15 seconds to complete a getwork.  That should be like maybe 4 requests per minute.
eleuthria
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1007

View Profile
January 18, 2012, 07:12:05 PM

@ 275MH/s it will take 15 seconds to complete a getwork.  That should be like maybe 4 requests per minute.

That's assuming the miner isn't also using an askrate/scantime shorter than 15 seconds.  I think quite a few miners default to 5 seconds.

RIP BTC Guild, April 2011 - June 2015
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
January 18, 2012, 07:15:34 PM

@ 275MH/s it will take 15 seconds to complete a getwork.  That should be like maybe 4 requests per minute.

That's assuming the miner isn't also using an askrate/scantime shorter than 15 seconds.  I think quite a few miners default to 5 seconds.

Why?  With LP is there any legit reason for a miner to ask faster that hashrate demands?  Is it just bad coding, bad defaults?

I mean w/ n-time-rolling I would assume the ask rate should be LESS than hashrate requires (as miner can increment the time locally).
jjiimm_64
Legendary

Activity: 1876
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 18, 2012, 08:30:35 PM

with cgminer, you can easily double this, as there are at least 2 threads per miner.

1jimbitm6hAKTjKX4qurCNQubbnk2YsFw
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
January 18, 2012, 08:37:46 PM

@ 275MH/s it will take 15 seconds to complete a getwork.  That should be like maybe 4 requests per minute.

with cgminer, you can easily double this, as there are at least 2 threads per miner.

There are two (or more) threads but they run at half speed and thus each thread requests work half as often.
BinoX

Activity: 140

View Profile
January 18, 2012, 08:45:46 PM

Why?  With LP is there any legit reason for a miner to ask faster that hashrate demands?  Is it just bad coding, bad defaults?

I mean w/ n-time-rolling I would assume the ask rate should be LESS than hashrate requires (as miner can increment the time locally).

Don't forget the fact that if you're mining 24/7 it'll show up on the evening and night stats even more when there's a lot less people (or no-one) using it. Hourly stats are not your friend.

Even at 4 requests/min you're looking at 5760 requests a day to basically ONE URL from ONE CLIENT happening with a fairly regular pattern. It shows up even more if it's going on during Sundays when no-one is working...

That tends to show up unless someone isn't checking, doesn't care or shouldn't be running a network... My morning schedule begins with a backup check, server integrity check and log file check... This takes about 2 hours in all. I like days where I find something because security investigations are more interesting than user requests Wink
jjiimm_64
Legendary

Activity: 1876
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 18, 2012, 08:48:23 PM

There are two (or more) threads but they run at half speed and thus each thread requests work half as often.

edit: my stuff disappeared......

when I migrated to cgminer, I had to install a new router to handle the extra requests.  If what your saying is tru, why does cgminer make so many more requests then say..  guiminer using phenix?

1jimbitm6hAKTjKX4qurCNQubbnk2YsFw
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: