Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 05:03:39 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Mineral Oil Mining Rig  (Read 2343 times)
64dimensions

Activity: 578
Merit: 508

View Profile
May 11, 2014, 10:36:39 AM

Check this out:

"Direct liquid immersion cooling for high power density microelectronics": http://www.electronics-cooling.com/1996/05/direct-liquid-immersion-cooling-for-high-power-density-microelectronics/

BY NO MEANS USE ACETONE to clean any circuit board. Acetone is a strong solvent which can remove paint and other passivation "stuff" on the circuit board. It will attack the plastic associated with any SMT component. I would try IPA first.

Safety:

From wikipedia: "At temperatures greater than acetone's flash point of −20 °C (−4 °F), air mixtures of between 2.5% and 12.8% acetone, by volume, may explode or cause a flash fire."

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: the cutting edge of begging technology." -- Giraffe.BTC
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
djm34
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1050

View Profile WWW
May 11, 2014, 11:20:57 AM

Check this out:

"Direct liquid immersion cooling for high power density microelectronics": http://www.electronics-cooling.com/1996/05/direct-liquid-immersion-cooling-for-high-power-density-microelectronics/

BY NO MEANS USE ACETONE to clean any circuit board. Acetone is a strong solvent which can remove paint and other passivation "stuff" on the circuit board. It will attack the plastic associated with any SMT component. I would try IPA first.

Safety:

From wikipedia: "At temperatures greater than acetone's flash point of −20 °C (−4 °F), air mixtures of between 2.5% and 12.8% acetone, by volume, may explode or cause a flash fire."
Tend to agree regarding the fact that acetone may attack a bit the circuit board.

However regarding the explosion, that's total bullshit (assuming a normal use)
You will be dead long before it explodes if there is an air mixture between 2.5% and 12.8% acetone  Roll Eyes (knowing that there is only 21% of oxygen in air)
(reading wikipedia is good, understanding what they say is better. )
Pure acetone is commonly used to clean equipment used in organic chemistry...  (as it is a solvent for many organic compound)

djm34 facebook page
BTC: 1NENYmxwZGHsKFmyjTc5WferTn5VTFb7Ze
Pledge for neoscrypt ccminer to that address: 16UoC4DmTz2pvhFvcfTQrzkPTrXkWijzXw
fabrizziop

Activity: 506
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 11, 2014, 12:17:32 PM

The temps vary from 60c to 75c. This is still the original configuration though. The fans on the radiator are running at 50%. I haven't added the spill over tank for the pump. The radiator is also still in the sun in the afternoon.

The warranty is most likely voided after putting it in oil. I don't think they'd have any signs of after I cleaned off the card though. 

temps are good but what are fan rpms and how much total did it cost you ?

82-122 RPM @ 70%

$300 est. Had some parts already.

Have you seen any fan failures?. I wonder if keeping them in oil would keep them lubricated, as several fans of my 5830s need more oil every 2-3 months.
64dimensions

Activity: 578
Merit: 508

View Profile
May 11, 2014, 04:14:54 PM

Check this out:

Safety:

Tend to agree regarding the fact that acetone may attack a bit the circuit board.

However regarding the explosion, that's total bullshit (assuming a normal use)
You will be dead long before it explodes if there is an air mixture between 2.5% and 12.8% acetone  Roll Eyes (knowing that there is only 21% of oxygen in air)
(reading wikipedia is good, understanding what they say is better. )
Pure acetone is commonly used to clean equipment used in organic chemistry...  (as it is a solvent for many organic compound)

I'm very well aware of the use of acetone and it's safety issues.  Acetone is a useful solvent for many things, not just the insignificant world of organic chemistry. Left unsaid by you, is that the "professional" use of acetone is done in well ventilated labs with fire extinguishers and fume hoods with a minimum air flow.

Given the wide background of the readers in this forum, some/most at home, in a space with no outside ventilation, there is nothing wrong with being careful.

One of the many uses of acetone is to remove the plastic IC packaging, hence the circuit board warning.
grendel25
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1031

View Profile
May 11, 2014, 04:19:36 PM

This was intriguing.  Thank you for sharing.  I  considered copyingsomething like this because I figured I might could save money but I guess this is more about cutting down heat.  I live in Alaska and run the my rigs in My crawl space so I guess I'll just marvel at the awesome Ness of your contraption.  Maybe I'll do an oil rig as my next pc upgrade.  Hmmmm.  Got me thinking.  On Swype text sorry for errors

..EPICENTRAL .....
..EPIC: Epic Private Internet Cash..
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████▄
▄████████████████▀▀█████▄
▄████████████▀▀▀    ██████▄
████████▀▀▀   ▄▀   ████████
█████▄     ▄█▀     ████████
████████▄ █▀      █████████
▀████████▌▐       ████████▀
▀████████ ▄██▄  ████████▀
▀█████████████▄███████▀
▀█████████████████▀
▀▀█████████▀▀
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████▄
▄████████▀█████▀████████▄
▄██████▀  ▀     ▀  ▀██████▄
██████▌             ▐██████
██████    ██   ██    ██████
█████▌    ▀▀   ▀▀    ▐█████
▀█████▄  ▄▄     ▄▄  ▄█████▀
▀██████▄▄███████▄▄██████▀
▀█████████████████████▀
▀█████████████████▀
▀▀█████████▀▀
[/center]
bugilt (OP)

Activity: 85
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 13, 2014, 12:55:31 AM

Have you seen any fan failures?. I wonder if keeping them in oil would keep them lubricated, as several fans of my 5830s need more oil every 2-3 months.

No fan failures. I would imagine the oil is lubricating them.

This was intriguing.  Thank you for sharing.  I  considered copyingsomething like this because I figured I might could save money but I guess this is more about cutting down heat.  I live in Alaska and run the my rigs in My crawl space so I guess I'll just marvel at the awesome Ness of your contraption.  Maybe I'll do an oil rig as my next pc upgrade.  Hmmmm.  Got me thinking.  On Swype text sorry for errors

I would imagine you could use the hot and cold temps to generate some electricity from a peltier plate. I would imagine you can use all the heat from the mining setup to warm your house.

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: