Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 02:31:00 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Security Holograms - Artwork Sample  (Read 10615 times)
Boussac
Legendary

Activity: 1220
Merit: 1015

e-ducat.fr

View Profile WWW
January 20, 2012, 10:06:47 PM

I am positively interested and hereby commit 500 USD per your proposal. Thanks for this initiative.

Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
January 20, 2012, 11:00:51 PM

I am positively interested and hereby commit 500 USD per your proposal. Thanks for this initiative.

See message #16 in this thread for instructions - to accept a commitment, I need an actual payment in BTC equivalent as of the moment you sent the payment.  Thanks.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
mc_lovin
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1000

www.bitcointrading.com

View Profile WWW
January 21, 2012, 05:28:58 AM

Those holograms are GORGEOUS!!
casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 24, 2012, 12:02:56 AM
Last edit: January 24, 2012, 03:18:34 AM by casascius

Update: Deposits received for 3 shares.

Also, now that BTC price has come up a bit, I am thinking of placing an order for 0.5 BTC coins.  These would be the same as 1 BTC coins, but slightly smaller diameter (but still big enough to take a 1-inch hologram).  Any interest?  Those would take several weeks to produce as well.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
Boussac
Legendary

e-ducat.fr

View Profile WWW
February 04, 2012, 03:28:09 PM

Any more shares in sight ?
How can we help get this order off the ground ?

MyBitcoinMint

Activity: 76
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
February 04, 2012, 07:26:24 PM

Any more shares in sight ?
How can we help get this order off the ground ?

I am trying to convince my business partner to go in with me on one or two shares. Don't think this pushes us over the $3,000 minimum, though, but it's much closer.

My Bitcoin Mint
Sound Money...from your hard drive, to your hand!
www.MyBitcoinMint.com
ineededausername

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

bitcoin hundred-aire

View Profile
February 04, 2012, 07:51:02 PM

lol, I was on the forum index, and I thought this said "Bitcoin Security Hole."  That was scary Smiley

(BFL)^2 < 0
casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 04, 2012, 08:05:09 PM

I emailed Tony at Bit-pay who mentioned he was pretty sure he wanted a couple shares.

I only need 3 more shares to get the minimum to start the order.

Boussac
Legendary

e-ducat.fr

View Profile WWW
February 25, 2012, 11:58:29 AM
Last edit: February 25, 2012, 11:00:19 PM by Boussac

We are about to lauch the cards: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=64980.msg762894#msg762894

Have you heard from the others ? Could'nt we just have the current order shares increased so we get the order started?
If that's not possible, I am afraid we will have to drop out and source the stickers elsewhere as we cannot wait much longer than beginning of March.

Vernon715

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 25, 2012, 07:33:38 PM

That is pretty awesome.

Please donate: 1FfJzfpGCXD6saKqmMs8W1qt9wouhA98Mj

http://bitcoinpyramid.com/r/1642

senbonzakura

Activity: 602
Merit: 502

View Profile
March 07, 2012, 11:15:46 AM

nice
julz
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 16, 2012, 01:07:02 AM

bump.

I've only committed to 1 share - but will go in for more if we're close.

@electricwings   BM-GtyD5exuDJ2kvEbr41XchkC8x9hPxdFd
allten

Activity: 455
Merit: 250

You Don't Bitcoin 'till You Mint Coin

View Profile WWW
March 16, 2012, 03:11:38 AM

How do you print the public key on the sticker?
Can each sticker be customized as to guarantee the customer where it came from?

For example, Let's say I made my own paper currency and used these stickers to secure the private keys.
Then my currency takes off because everyone trust that I, the issuer, is honest and will not still still
any bit coins; however, the con on the internet sees an opportunity to steal some coins and duplicates my stickers and currency.

Do these holographic stickers have a solution to this?
Maybe the only way is to spend the money to buy my very own stickers like casascius did.

I am interested to put $500 dollars towards the project to help get it off the ground.
julz
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 16, 2012, 03:17:34 AM

For example, Let's say I made my own paper currency and used these stickers to secure the private keys.
Then my currency takes off because everyone trust that I, the issuer, is honest and will not still still
any bit coins; however, the con on the internet sees an opportunity to steal some coins and duplicates my stickers and currency.

Maybe the only way is to spend the money to buy my very own stickers like casascius did.

I am interested to put $500 dollars towards the project to help get it off the ground.

My understanding is that there is a windowed section in the sticker so the public key can show through.
(lasered in at the same time as your custom text I think ?)

@electricwings   BM-GtyD5exuDJ2kvEbr41XchkC8x9hPxdFd
casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 16, 2012, 03:34:44 AM

I have refunded 2 of the shares just due to the length of time it's taking.  But 1 of them is still "soft committed" meaning if I hit him up, he says he would probably go for it.

Anyone who wants to make a $500 commitment is welcome to.  I promise to refund it upon request at any time up until the point I pull the trigger on an order.  Ironically, the refunds I gave, received more BTC in the refund than they paid in the first place, due to my insistence that I am accounting for the payment in dollars =)

casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 16, 2012, 03:38:48 AM

TO answer your questions:  The public key is not printed on the sticker.  Instead the sticker has a transparent window.  You put the sticker so the firstbits are visible through the window.  All of the stickers are laser-branded with your name at the factory.

I would be willing to bet that it's actually more economical to make coins with holograms than paper currency.  This is simply because on paper, you have to hologram the front and the back, in other words, use 2 holograms.  And you have to use a somewhat big hologram to cover a QR code while keeping it peelable (costs more - cost is directly proportional to surface area).  If you got to use 2 of them on paper, and only 1 of them on a coin, and the hologram costs as much as a coin... then you're actually ahead making coins.

You are more than welcome to look for your own stickers.  That's what one of the guys did whom I refunded (though he had a different application - prepaid cards - so he was able to kill a couple extra birds with one stone by doing so).

Boussac
Legendary

e-ducat.fr

View Profile WWW
March 17, 2012, 06:27:13 AM

I have refunded 2 of the shares just due to the length of time it's taking.  But 1 of them is still "soft committed" meaning if I hit him up, he says he would probably go for it.

Anyone who wants to make a $500 commitment is welcome to.  I promise to refund it upon request at any time up until the point I pull the trigger on an order.  Ironically, the refunds I gave, received more BTC in the refund than they paid in the first place, due to my insistence that I am accounting for the payment in dollars =)

That's true, it is testimony to your fairness Mike. And also to the fact that bitcoin exchange rate is still volatile  Wink

Question: can the stickers be serial numbered (with a range of sequential numbers) for the same price ?

allten

Activity: 455
Merit: 250

You Don't Bitcoin 'till You Mint Coin

View Profile WWW
December 07, 2012, 08:57:38 PM

Is this offer still good?

How many commitments are lacking for the deal to go through?

thanks.
casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 07, 2012, 09:07:50 PM

I am not trying to aggregate any orders anymore, but if someone had a serious interest in committing enough resources to do the whole thing, and were willing to push it forward assuming nobody else was going in on it, I'm sure it would be easy to revive.  That artwork design is surely sitting somewhere, and for someone willing to fund the whole thing, could have new artwork more personalized to them.

I suppose the fact that I've released the paper circle generator as open-source is a game changer...

adamstgBit
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
December 08, 2012, 05:20:13 AM

I want 500, about how much would it cost?

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: