Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 12:19:15 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Potential solutions for Escrow/Fraud issues  (Read 3689 times)
SomeoneWeird

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 22, 2012, 06:32:08 AM

After talking to a friend IRL about the two party escrow thing I realized there is nothing to stop the buyer from not releasing the money after the items arrive.

EX: I get items from seller, I'm already out my 100 bitcoins, and he's out 10 more, LOL!  I'm going to change my name and no one will never know that I'm a dick!

I think both sides would need a ~10% additional escrow to prevent all malicious fraud.  I think this is important especially for buyers as they will have far less reputation to verify and depend on compared to centralized merchants.
The reason I (and others) linked to past discussions is so that less time is spent reinventing the wheel. Take a look at this for example. Some more discussion occurred here.

It appears you overly complicated the idea and no one in that thread had a clue what you were talking about.
This is ridiculous. Of the 3 people who posted after me in that thread:
remmy (the op) understood what I said, up to some technical details.
iamzill probably didn't understand. His loss, my suggestion solves his suggested failure mode and I explicitly addressed it.
BitOffer presumably understood what I suggested, as he referenced it.

My "overly complicating the idea" was written in a way that makes it precise who gets what in which conditions. It was designed to solve the problems raised earlier in that thread - some of which you will probably only realize after some more chats with your IRL friend.

Might wanna relook who the OP is.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Meni Rosenfeld
Donator
Legendary
expert

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1054

View Profile WWW
January 22, 2012, 06:38:31 AM

iamzill probably didn't understand. His loss, my suggestion solves his suggested failure mode and I explicitly addressed it.

My "overly complicating the idea" was written in a way that makes it precise who gets what in which conditions. It was designed to solve the problems raised earlier in that thread - some of which you will probably only realize after some more chats with your IRL friend.

I meant the OP of that thread, who is of course distinct from the OP of this thread.

1EofoZNBhWQ3kxfKnvWkhtMns4AivZArhr   |   Who am I?   |   bitcoin-otc WoT
Bitcoil - Exchange bitcoins for ILS (thread)   |   Israel Bitcoin community homepage (thread)
Analysis of Bitcoin Pooled Mining Reward Systems (thread, summary)  |   PureMining - Infinite-term, deterministic mining bond
Matthew N. Wright (OP)
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
January 22, 2012, 06:48:29 AM

I meant the OP of that thread, who is of course distinct from the OP of this thread.

I am distinct from the op of any thread. Indubitably.

HostFat
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 1203

I support freedom of choice

View Profile WWW
January 24, 2012, 12:38:17 AM

I like the CoinSpeculator's idea.
It can be % that can be set from the client before the transaction.
There should be a trackbar that goes from 0.00% to 100%, or even it can be set manually ( ex: 120% )
So, it will be even possible that both buyers and sellers will need to put the same amount of Bitcoin to make the exchange.
If everything will go well, the seller will get back his own money and buyers money too.

I don't know if this kind of transaction ( with such a high % ) will ever happen/needed, but I think that the should be available on the client(s)

NON DO ASSISTENZA PRIVATA - http://hostfatmind.com
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: