Bitcoin Forum
July 27, 2024, 05:02:59 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Member Intro + My experience  (Read 782 times)
swiftimpulse (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 09, 2014, 08:00:02 AM

Howdy all,

Newb from Australia here, first post.
In short, I'm new and read a fair bit but had a lot of set backs along the way (in fact I haven't even really started yet), so thought I'd share for other newbs and for the pro's to laugh at me.

Long story:
I've known about Bit Coins for about 2 years, never took notice of them until recently. Now I'm kicking myself like many others seem to be, about not being an early adopter.

Anyway, so on to my experience. I've solidly been looking into it for the last week or so, probably spent a good 20-30 hours reading/getting confused about the whole process. I came here and read a great deal of information about Bit Coins and setting up computers to mine etc. Took me the first 3 days to realise I clearly couldn't be fucked doing that. I installed the Bit Coin wallet on a VM, and it doesn't go any further than about '40 weeks behind' with syncing. Bitcoin, Litecoin, Dogecoin, no matter what. And this VM's on a 100Mbps connection so I figure it's not network being the issue. Tried the bootstrap, no dice.

Anyway, decided fuck that, I'll get into the ultra-paranoid-skitzo offline security methods later on if I actually make any significant money on here. Like most, I'm treating it as an experiment and have faith it will become an accepted currency (at least from governments) later on.

So anyway - decided to use Multibit and have my addresses setup. Checked out some exchanges and decide which ones I like. Now it's time to put some money in.

Holy... SHIT. I can't believe how hard it is to put AUD money into Bitcoins. I saw an Aussie exchange, and they happily take my money, the love that part. But they can't convert them into Bitcoins... what the fuck? What the hell was the point? At least they gave it back when I withdrew it (and I knew he lived 1/2 hr from me so I would've gone over with a bat if he didn't).

So - here I am the last couple of days in my long fruitful adventure, and looked to btc-e.com as the exchange of choice, and seen what providers it accepts for payment. Checked them all out but bloody hell... You go to their site, they're like 'we're awesome, we take money from you and put it over there, like a baws'. Then you go to sign up, OH NAH MATE, CAN'T TAKE IT UNLESS YOU SEND IT FROM THESE OTHER FUCKERS FIRST.

What the hell.. Since when was it so hard to give people my money?
So I found Payeer because they actually accept CC directly, that site's written in fucking Russian. Their error messages, email correspondence they send you, half Russian half English. Google translate is my friend. So here I am translating what the fuck these support guys are saying to me regarding 'verification' and I guess I've come this far so I'll go through with the process soon enough. At some spots you can translate it but their emails are fun to translate when they're in Russian.

So about 20-30 hours of reading and thus far I only have 4 Dogecoins to my name thanks to a faucet I found... other than that, not worth shit!

So you can poke fun if you like, or if you know of any recent ways AUD can be converted into Bitcoin let me know. I saw a few posts regarding that already but some seemed aged or the sites in question no longer operate.
Any recent info welcome! If you read this far, you must be very bored.
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1528

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
May 09, 2014, 08:26:03 AM

Howdy all,

Welcome Smiley

-snip-
Holy... SHIT. I can't believe how hard it is to put AUD money into Bitcoins. I saw an Aussie exchange, and they happily take my money, the love that part. But they can't convert them into Bitcoins... what the fuck? What the hell was the point? At least they gave it back when I withdrew it (and I knew he lived 1/2 hr from me so I would've gone over with a bat if he didn't).

So - here I am the last couple of days in my long fruitful adventure, and looked to btc-e.com as the exchange of choice, and seen what providers it accepts for payment. Checked them all out but bloody hell... You go to their site, they're like 'we're awesome, we take money from you and put it over there, like a baws'. Then you go to sign up, OH NAH MATE, CAN'T TAKE IT UNLESS YOU SEND IT FROM THESE OTHER FUCKERS FIRST.

You might skip exchanges in generall and use localbitcoins (meet in person/use wire transfer they provide escrow) or meet with someone you meet here.

What the hell.. Since when was it so hard to give people my money?
So I found Payeer because they actually accept CC directly, that site's written in fucking Russian. Their error messages, email correspondence they send you, half Russian half English. Google translate is my friend. So here I am translating what the fuck these support guys are saying to me regarding 'verification' and I guess I've come this far so I'll go through with the process soon enough. At some spots you can translate it but their emails are fun to translate when they're in Russian.

I dont know, that doesnt sound good to me.

So about 20-30 hours of reading and thus far I only have 4 Dogecoins to my name thanks to a faucet I found... other than that, not worth shit!

So you can poke fun if you like, or if you know of any recent ways AUD can be converted into Bitcoin let me know. I saw a few posts regarding that already but some seemed aged or the sites in question no longer operate.
Any recent info welcome! If you read this far, you must be very bored.

Exchanges are usually a bit of a pain and wont tons of materials (proof of residency, etc.). So as I wrote above, meet in person, exchange directly. You might not get the best rates, but you can get your coins fast and secure (use escrow).

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
swiftimpulse (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 09, 2014, 08:29:55 AM

Thanks for the tip, I'll keep that in mind Smiley
Crossbow376

Activity: 615
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 09, 2014, 08:47:52 AM

Welcome swiftimpulse.

You might skip exchanges in generall and use localbitcoins (meet in person/use wire transfer they provide escrow) or meet with someone you meet here.

+1 for localbitcoins. You should be able to find traders near you accepting cash, bank transfer and many other payment methods.
Of course, you should pick the traders with long history and good feedback Smiley

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: