Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 04:44:00 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Copyright lawyers lurking on Bitcointalk  (Read 1680 times)
rapeghost (OP)

Activity: 419
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 18, 2012, 09:25:33 PM

Allo gentlemen,

Well its obvious to me that there are pro-lamer DMCA lawyers lurking around the forum now.

What do you think brought them here? (besides the piracy)

I was wondering if theyre utilizing some type of software to search throughout all forums listed on google for keywords (XViD-LoL, etc)?

Anyone have any ideas what kinds of tools these lamers are utilizing?

Cheers,
James

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
bittenbob

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 18, 2012, 09:31:35 PM

Allo gentlemen,

Well its obvious to me that there are pro-lamer DMCA lawyers lurking around the forum now.

What do you think brought them here? (besides the piracy)

I was wondering if theyre utilizing some type of software to search throughout all forums listed on google for keywords (XViD-LoL, etc)?

Anyone have any ideas what kinds of tools these lamers are utilizing?

Cheers,
James

How do you figure they are lurking around the forums? I am unsure of how you came to this conclusion but would be interested to hear it.

As for the piracy I don't know what you speak of. I have seen no piracy occur on these forums.
Mushoz

Activity: 686

Bitbuy

View Profile WWW
January 18, 2012, 09:37:00 PM

If anything, there's been tons of legitimate trades for media. I've seen plenty of steam and origin sales on this board.

www.bitbuy.nl - Koop eenvoudig, snel en goedkoop bitcoins bij Bitbuy!
terrytibbs

Merit: 501

View Profile
January 18, 2012, 09:52:24 PM

Did they ask you to pull the episode of The Good Wife?
bittenbob

View Profile
January 18, 2012, 09:57:45 PM

I guess this is always a possibility but it doesn't mean their lawyers are on the site. The show just did a bit on bitcoins and the shows producers may have been monitoring the forums to see our reaction. This producer (or someone else affiliated with the show) probably saw the thread and took appropriate action. It's unfortunate but posting it on here was completely unnecessary since it was posted on the CBS website immediately after.
Mushoz

Activity: 686

Bitbuy

View Profile WWW
January 18, 2012, 10:00:55 PM

I guess this is always a possibility but it doesn't mean their lawyers are on the site. The show just did a bit on bitcoins and the shows producers may have been monitoring the forums to see our reaction. This producer (or someone else affiliated with the show) probably saw the thread and took appropriate action. It's unfortunate but posting it on here was completely unnecessary since it was posted on the CBS website immediately after.

"The video you have requested is not available for your geographic region."

Yes, it was necessary. I still don't understand why the media industry treats the digital world, the internet, the old fashioned way. Geographic borders? On the internet? Really?

www.bitbuy.nl - Koop eenvoudig, snel en goedkoop bitcoins bij Bitbuy!
bittenbob

View Profile
January 18, 2012, 10:03:56 PM

Yes, it was necessary. I still don't understand why the media industry treats the digital world, the internet, the old fashioned way. Geographic borders? On the internet? Really?

Find a US proxy and you can watch it.
paraipan
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: 1pirata

View Profile WWW
January 18, 2012, 10:12:45 PM

i thought our motto was "lose the intermediary" so +1 Mushoz.
Why can't i view the show from Spain ? i perfectly understand English if CBS thinks that it might hurt my hearing or something

BTCitcoin: An Idea Worth Saving - Q&A with bitcoins on rugatu.com - Check my rep
bittenbob

View Profile
January 18, 2012, 10:17:50 PM

Why can't i view the show from Spain ? i perfectly understand English if CBS thinks that it might hurt my hearing or something
I am from Canada and we can't even watch it. I used to live in a border city so it was literally less than a km to where I would be "allowed" to watch it online. I think it is silly but a proxy will still allow you to watch it.

Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
January 18, 2012, 10:18:08 PM

The entertainment industry is just taking a cue from world governments. They are the ones basing rules for internet based off of geographic boundaries. The entertainment industry is just exploiting it.

rapeghost (OP)

View Profile
January 18, 2012, 10:48:47 PM

terrytibs,

yeah. i got the DMCA email. the file was taken off before i even received it. then i posted a FUCK YOU and a new link somewhere where they couldn't DMCA me. They contacted my ISP *again* even though it wasn't hosted with them to try and get my account cancelled.

I know this to be true cause my host told me.

James
Jered Kenna (TradeHill)

Activity: 420

View Profile WWW
January 18, 2012, 10:51:27 PM

I'd assume it's more of an issue with the country you reside in (example Spain) and not where it's made / streaming (example US).
They probably have agreements with a station in Spain that is going to play it at a later date and they don't want everyone to just stream it early. It also hurts their revenue and I would imagine some negotiation takes place and they say "ok we'll pay you x to broadcast your channel in our country but don't let us stream it". If they're paying for it why would they want other people to get it for free (legally).

Never looked in to it but I'd imagine it's something close to that. With ad revenue and everything else I'd guess they would prefer to let the world tune in than not.

Remember some people are out to get you, but not everyone.

Jered

moneyandtech.com
@moneyandtech @jeredkenna
rapeghost (OP)

View Profile
January 18, 2012, 10:57:48 PM

Indeed, Good thinkin.
deepceleron
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1032

View Profile WWW
January 19, 2012, 04:04:33 PM

Simple explanation:

http://www.apple.com/itunes/charts/tv-shows/the-good-wife/bitcoin-for-dummies/
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: