Bitcoin Forum
June 27, 2024, 02:05:04 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Mining Pool with Reward for Finding Block?  (Read 2040 times)
Bitcoin++ (OP)

Activity: 180
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 09, 2014, 08:49:35 AM

Is there any hybrid pool out there?
For every block, if 12.5 BTC were shared with the pool and 12.5 BTC were rewarded to the miner who found the block, then mining would be a lot more interesting.
Crossbow376

Activity: 615
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 09, 2014, 10:24:43 AM

For every block, if 12.5 BTC were shared with the pool and 12.5 BTC were rewarded to the miner who found the block, then mining would be a lot more interesting.

AFAIK, P2pool gives 0.5% bonus to the block finder. Smiley

jonnybravo0311
Legendary

Activity: 1344
Merit: 1023

Mine at Jonny's Pool

View Profile WWW
May 09, 2014, 12:35:54 PM

p2pool does indeed give a 0.5% bonus to the block finder.

No pool that I know of exists which gives the block finder half of the block's value as a reward.  It certainly would be "interesting".  Good luck with convincing anybody it's a valid mining pool strategy Smiley

Jonny's Pool - Mine with us and help us grow!  Support a pool that supports Bitcoin, not a hardware manufacturer's pockets!  No SPV cheats.  No empty blocks.
Bitcoin++ (OP)

Activity: 180
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 09, 2014, 12:55:55 PM

I believe it would appeal to a lot of miners these days.

Half divided to pool members = half of "normal" reward for most miners on most days. It is sufficient to cover electricity / operating cost.

Half goes to finder => Small chance you will make a "small fortune" (12.5 BTC ~ 5000 USD) thus make back your investment in mining gear.
jonnybravo0311
Legendary

Mine at Jonny's Pool

View Profile WWW
May 09, 2014, 02:06:17 PM

Half divided to pool members = half of "normal" reward for most miners on most days. It is sufficient to cover electricity / operating cost.

That statement is where you're going to run into the most resistance to your idea.  You're asking people to willing accept half of what they would normally get on the exceedingly slim chance that they might reap a significant reward should they be the one to find the block.

In my own case, I have 5 Antminer U2s solo mining on the off chance that they might solve a block, mostly because the power requirements to do so are virtually negligible.  I also play the lottery in the off chance that I might win the jackpot, which is an interesting analogy to what you're proposing.

Let's assume for a second that you and a bunch of friends decide to play the PowerBall.  You all purchase tickets and combine them together hoping that one of those tickets is a winner.

Normal pool:
If one of these tickets is a winner, we split the proceeds based upon how many tickets you contributed.

Your pool:
If one of these tickets is a winner, the person who bought the winning ticket gets half of the winnings and the rest of you split the remaining half.

Which pool are you joining?

Jonny's Pool - Mine with us and help us grow!  Support a pool that supports Bitcoin, not a hardware manufacturer's pockets!  No SPV cheats.  No empty blocks.
scratchy

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 09, 2014, 02:29:54 PM

Well 50% bonus is to high to be true.
Most pool (like mine) pay the bonus for Block finders out of their private wallet, currently we dont offer any bonus for BTC (yet) but i will think on it Smiley.
But it will be far less then 50%, maybe there will be a bonus for ~0.1 BTC or something like that.

How much people are interested in a offer like this? Smiley

- Administrator of MuPool.com -
MuPool.com a profesionell stable Multi Coin Pool (BTC,DRK,LTC,DOGE,PPC,FTC,TIT)
jonnybravo0311
Legendary

Mine at Jonny's Pool

View Profile WWW
May 09, 2014, 02:45:14 PM

Well 50% bonus is to high to be true.
Most pool (like mine) pay the bonus for Block finders out of their private wallet, currently we dont offer any bonus for BTC (yet) but i will think on it Smiley.
But it will be far less then 50%, maybe there will be a bonus for ~0.1 BTC or something like that.

How much people are interested in a offer like this? Smiley

p2pool does that now.  The code divides the total block reward by 200.  It gives 1/200th to the block finder, and splits the remaining 199/200 with the rest.  So, assuming a block with 0 transactions in it is worth the 25BTC, the block finder gets 0.125BTC as a reward in addition to whatever reward he gets from submitted shares.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: