Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 07:46:36 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin dropping volume  (Read 1578 times)
Jonivdb (OP)

Activity: 39
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 09, 2014, 01:43:02 PM

The volume of bitcoin has been dropping faster then the price in bitcoin.

In my opinion this means an increasing lack of interest in bitcoin, and it might be that the price will follow.

What do you guys think?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Unlike traditional banking where clients have only a few account numbers, with Bitcoin people can create an unlimited number of accounts (addresses). This can be used to easily track payments, and it improves anonymity.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
MatTheCat

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 09, 2014, 01:45:04 PM

In my opinion this means an increasing lack of interest in bitcoin, and it might be that the price will follow.

What do you guys think?

That would certainly be the TA 101A prognosis. But one shouldn't rely upon volume alone as an indicator of what the market is going to do next.

Kraken Account, Robbed/Emptied. Kraken say "Fuck you, its your loss": https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1559553.msg15656643#msg15656643

Bitfinex victims. DO NOT TOUCH THE BFX TOKEN! Start moving it around, or trading it, and you will be construed as having accepted it as an alternative means of payment to your USD, BTC, etc.
DrBitcoin

Activity: 350
Merit: 294

View Profile
May 09, 2014, 01:47:16 PM

What do you guys think?

I think you are probably right. 2013 was the year of Bitcoin. But 2014 has been very quite.

My hope is that as the infrastructure builds this year, eventually Ina year or two things will turn around as the next generation adopts Bitcoin at an alarming rate.

Then...the older folks will have no choice but to learn how to use it.

I think this is a long term goal. Right now, we are in a lull.
TERA

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 09, 2014, 01:48:10 PM

Volume is hard to read in Bitcoin. 90% of bitcoin volume is traders, so volume decreases with volatility. Also, you can't tell what is going on off of exchanges.
solarion

Activity: 966
Merit: 513

View Profile
May 09, 2014, 01:48:41 PM

Wonder if it has anything to do with the dozens of shitcoins spewing forth everyday.
Miz4r
Legendary

Activity: 1246

View Profile
May 09, 2014, 02:01:46 PM

What do you guys think?

It means that there's lots of uncertainty and people are all waiting for signals to decide what to do. Holders don't feel comfortable selling at this price and potential buyers want to wait for the right signals to buy. We've seen these periods of low volume before, so I don't think this indicates a lack of interest. It's the calm before the storm.

Bitcoin = Gold on steroids
MatTheCat

Activity: 840

View Profile
May 09, 2014, 02:05:35 PM

Wonder if it has anything to do with the dozens of shitcoins spewing forth everyday.

I think the shitcoin craze is well and truly buried is it not? All those that I have kept my eye on are certainly well on the way to trending into obscurity.

Come to think of it, I haven't seen Seleme on these forums for a while. He was very heavily invested in shitcoins....ha....ha...ahahahahaha......mwhahahaHAHAHAHAHAHA! FK that cunt! (yeah seriously).

Kraken Account, Robbed/Emptied. Kraken say "Fuck you, its your loss": https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1559553.msg15656643#msg15656643

Bitfinex victims. DO NOT TOUCH THE BFX TOKEN! Start moving it around, or trading it, and you will be construed as having accepted it as an alternative means of payment to your USD, BTC, etc.
solarion

Activity: 966
Merit: 513

View Profile
May 09, 2014, 02:11:46 PM

I think the shitcoin craze is well and truly buried is it not? All those that I have kept my eye on are certainly well on the way to trending into obscurity.

Come to think of it, I haven't seen Seleme on these forums for a while. He was very heavily invested in shitcoins....ha....ha...ahahahahaha......mwhahahaHAHAHAHAHAHA! FK that cunt! (yeah seriously).

The time necessary for them to DIE seems to be shortening. Unfortunately manipulated garbage like blackcoin has everyone thinking they can get rich in a week, so new shitcoins are being gobbled up and regurgitated faster than ever. I wonder where we'd be if all or even most of this effort were going into bitcoin.
juve4v

Activity: 505

View Profile
May 09, 2014, 02:16:06 PM

Oversold
Hunyadi
Legendary

Activity: 1281

☑ ♟ ☐ ♚

View Profile
May 09, 2014, 02:22:48 PM

Oversold

+1

▂▃▅▇█▓▒░B**-Cultist░▒▓█▇▅▃▂
theonewhowaskazu

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 09, 2014, 03:46:10 PM

Honestly it doesn't mean much. There's tons of reasons for volume to decrease other than people losing interest in bitcoin.

1) People who own bitcoin are now pretty rich, and now there's tax implications. Anybody I know who actually wants to sell in large amounts is doing so in person for cash, or for gyft cards, both of which mean you can basically get away with paying no taxes. Means the exchanges are largely for traders (who don't actually want dollars immediately) and people selling at a loss. Then there's companies that have to use an exchange, but they don't do it by trading back and forth 1000 times, they just do it like once for every coin they receive.

2) The traders (who as said in 1 make up the majority of the volume, especially now) now have 100000 shitcoins to trade rather than BTC/USD. Trading shitcoins generally is a bit easier (you don't need a verified account for example) and lots of people are doing that now.

3) People finally have realized that a coin on an exchange isn't a coin at all, its a promise of a coin. People don't trust as much as before and tend to withdraw their coins ASAP, means less opportunity for them to trade.

RyNinDaCleM
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1009

Legen -wait for it- dary

View Profile
May 09, 2014, 03:49:50 PM

Oversold

Oversold? Where do you see that? All time frames are pretty neutral on the RSI. There are a few indicators that are borderline overbought, but I don't see anything oversold

Stevenrm87

Activity: 403
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 09, 2014, 07:19:35 PM

Going up now. No steam left to go down further.

Selling fully funded Titan BTC Physical Bitcoins, Gold and SIlver - BTC Physical Bitcoins BTC PM if interested.
BitchicksHusband

Activity: 378
Merit: 255

View Profile
May 09, 2014, 08:44:48 PM

Companies are making direct deals with Coinbase and Bitpay to buy and sell coins directly.  While these are "real" coins and not promises of coins (as far as I can tell), the fact that it's all happening off-exchange means the volatility and volume are way down.

(Actually, the addresses listed on the same day as my transactions on Coinbase are empty and have always been empty, so they are not moving actual coins.  So don't leave more than spending money on Coinbase (or any other site).  Save them in your own wallet on your PC or in a paper wallet and make sure you have backups.

1BitcHiCK1iRa6YVY6qDqC6M594RBYLNPo
gogxmagog
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1009

Ad maiora!

View Profile
May 09, 2014, 09:51:33 PM

we will not see any significant rise in the usd price of BTC for a couple years if not more. That is, of course, if it can survive the press and general public's ignorance, derision and fear. No one wants to step into a punchline, and btc may just dwindle into obscurity. If you were not fully aware of this when you got in, well... I am very sorry for you...you should have read a few of the threads in this forum. never invest more than you can afford to lose!
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3008

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
May 09, 2014, 11:13:38 PM

There's probably never been less trust in exchanges coupled with a big increase in BTC value. That's going to make people ever more wary.

At the same time there have never been more avenues to obtain BTC away from the traditional exchanges.

I don't think we'll see any significant increases in verifiable volumes until there's a better standard of exchange. That'll happen towards the end of the year I guess.
Carra23
Legendary

Activity: 980

Need a campaign manager? PM me

View Profile
May 09, 2014, 11:20:37 PM

As soon as there is some movement in any direction, volume will shoot up. It does not mean much.
juve4v

Activity: 505

View Profile
May 25, 2014, 07:26:40 AM

Oversold

Oversold? Where do you see that? All time frames are pretty neutral on the RSI. There are a few indicators that are borderline overbought, but I don't see anything oversold

Seems like i was right. My old school charts are still reliable  Grin
ranlo
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1007

View Profile
May 25, 2014, 07:29:01 AM

What do you guys think?

It means that there's lots of uncertainty and people are all waiting for signals to decide what to do. Holders don't feel comfortable selling at this price and potential buyers want to wait for the right signals to buy. We've seen these periods of low volume before, so I don't think this indicates a lack of interest. It's the calm before the storm.

This right here. And with the major news that's come out lately regarding PoS systems and such implementing Bitcoin, I think we're going to see an increase soon enough. Once it's added to PoS systems, you can use them anywhere.

https://nanogames.io/i-bctalk-n/
Message for info on how to get kickbacks on sites like Nano (above) and CryptoPlay!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: