Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 07:26:44 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Stolen bitcoins, help!  (Read 4527 times)
austin

Activity: 584
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 09, 2014, 08:41:36 PM

It appears that he's owned the domain bancoestadocl.info and used it to host a phishing site in 2012.
http://www.knujon.com/nameservers/NS5.PAYNHOST.COM.html

There's also a youtube account with the same username, but that's all I could see in common between them. It may or may not relate to the scammer.
http://www.youtube.com/user/TheMad2403
Bitcoin addresses contain a checksum, so it is very unlikely that mistyping an address will cause you to lose money.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
shivamchawla

Activity: 466
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
May 09, 2014, 08:54:39 PM

I found a facebook profile with the email
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100003710858586&sk=about
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
May 09, 2014, 09:00:50 PM

Danny, just PM'd you the Dox.

Maybe you can use it to coax a return of
funds before you publicize it.

If you consider this as fulfilling the bounty,
you may donate the .5 BTC to the victim.

escrow.ms
Legendary

Activity: 1274

View Profile
May 09, 2014, 09:15:45 PM

Damn, anyway to tag his address as scammer on blockchain?  I tried to write message but blockchain is not showing it in transaction.
I was trying to link this thread
DannyHamilton (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3374
Merit: 4606

View Profile
May 09, 2014, 09:24:14 PM

Danny, just PM'd you the Dox.

Maybe you can use it to coax a return of
funds before you publicize it.

If you consider this as fulfilling the bounty,
you may donate the .5 BTC to the victim.

Thank you.  The victim will certainly appreciate your generosity if this dox turns out to be valid.

I have registered on hackforums, and am currently participating in a discussion there to try and get this resolved.  I'll let you know if this dox information provides the necessary leverage to obtain a satisfactory resolution.
DannyHamilton (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 09, 2014, 09:36:27 PM

I have to step away from my computer for a bit.  I'll be back in about an hour or so to continue this conversation.
seriouscoin

Activity: 658

View Profile
May 09, 2014, 09:38:08 PM

I'm happy that this forum can put great effort to help the victim.

Once in a while we need one less trolling thread.
jc01480

Activity: 854

Nope..

View Profile
May 09, 2014, 10:44:53 PM

OP, I see the thread in the hackerforum whatcha-ma-callit.  Any resolution yet?
DannyHamilton (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 09, 2014, 10:57:46 PM

OP, I see the thread in the hackerforum whatcha-ma-callit.  Any resolution yet?

No, but if I can get confirmation on the dox that I have, I'll be contacting the police.
BitCoinDream
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1204

The revolution will be digital

View Profile
May 09, 2014, 11:10:47 PM

Damn, anyway to tag his address as scammer on blockchain?  I tried to write message but blockchain is not showing it in transaction.
I was trying to link this thread

U might consider to contact PIUK (https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=profile;u=17928) ...he may help. By the way, u seemed to have left some coins to the scammer's address...

https://blockchain.info/tx/d52b8299f75cbe83f6a5c1eabc280691b2dd55e338eaf58f47327b444c885fef

...any progress in tracking the coins with that ?

jc01480

Nope..

View Profile
May 09, 2014, 11:23:53 PM

This is one of the open source investigation resources I've used many years ago.  Some of them are pay-wall, but most are not.  I've got a book of stuff like this to help.  I've used this to help resolve a lot of cases.  There is truth in the fact that a good detective never has to leave the desk.  However, people skills diminish rapidly.

http://www.blackbookonline.info/
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

View Profile
May 09, 2014, 11:26:08 PM

This is sad to hear and shows once again how poor the average person's computer security is.  Multisig and hardware wallets are really needed. 

Totally agree.  The few people that I know personally who own bitcoin are not savvy enough or aware enough to do these things (most of my coins are in cold storage) despite my nagging.

acoindr
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1002

View Profile
May 09, 2014, 11:40:25 PM

This is sad to hear and shows once again how poor the average person's computer security is.  Multisig and hardware wallets are really needed. 

Totally agree.  The few people that I know personally who own bitcoin are not savvy enough or aware enough to do these things (most of my coins are in cold storage) despite my nagging.

This is what I'm hoping multisig wallets solve. For example, I picture users downloading wallet software like they do normally (e.g. Multibit) but to send any coins they must also plug in a separate device (like a variation of Bitcoin Trezor) to the USB slot to provide a second signature. It takes two signatures to move any coins, which means an attacker must compromise two separate device and software stacks, one of which may not even have an OS (again, like Trezor).

To me this is the perfect way to have top notch security, on par with cold storage, while maintaining simple convenient usage.

The problem we have now is a single private key provides total access. That's why existing solutions - cold storage, Trezor, Armory - try to isolate those keys. However, even these currently top notch solutions are not without concern. If anything happens to the private keys managed by any of these methods, again, coins can be quickly lost. It's simply moving the risk to another model (albeit safer, usually).

The real solution is to distribute that risk beyond more than one single point of failure. That's what multisig can do.

BitCoinDream
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1204

The revolution will be digital

View Profile
May 09, 2014, 11:40:33 PM

This may also be the result of weak entropy. If someone accidentally generates you your private key, then no multisig  or hardware wallet can protect U.

Peter R
Legendary

Activity: 1162
Merit: 1007

View Profile
May 09, 2014, 11:50:36 PM

This may also be the result of weak entropy. If someone accidentally generates you your private key, then no multisig  or hardware wallet can protect U.

Yes, and working random number generators too.

It's actually amazing: to secure funds held at address 1xxxxx… the only thing that is required is that the big 78-digit number that unlocks the address must be kept a secret.  If no one peaks at this number nor guesses it somehow, then your funds are secure.  That's it.  That is bitcoin security in a nutshell.  But as we've seen time and time again, keeping those numbers secret is not as easy as it sounds!

Run Bitcoin Unlimited (www.bitcoinunlimited.info)
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

View Profile
May 09, 2014, 11:54:46 PM

Yes, and working random number generators too.

It's actually amazing: to secure funds held at address 1xxxxx… the only thing that is required is that the big 78-digit number that unlocks the address must be kept a secret.  If no one peaks at this number nor guesses it somehow, then your funds are secure.  That's it.  That is bitcoin security in a nutshell.  But as we've seen time and time again, keeping those numbers secret is not as easy as it sounds!

Good way to look at it Peter.

One problem is that we're used to having all
our devices online, where using the number
once exposes it (which is why cold storage
is important)

bitsalame
Donator

Activity: 714
Merit: 510

Preaching the gospel of Satoshi

View Profile
May 10, 2014, 12:14:17 AM
Last edit: May 10, 2014, 12:27:19 AM by bitsalame

People, don't jump into conclusions. Please.
Whoever thinks he got the dox on this guy, think about it twice.
This guy is more elusive than Carmen Sandiego.

This guy is a confirmed wannabe career scammer, and I found at least three different names (aliases) associated with themad2403@live.com
But he is definitely hispanic with some technical knowledge.
This case has to be threaded carefully.
Pizzaworld

Activity: 10
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 10, 2014, 12:22:32 AM

People who dox some randoms here are a bit mad? If someone stole something for real go to police and they can subpoena the details if any.

jc01480

Nope..

View Profile
May 10, 2014, 12:37:51 AM

People, don't jump into conclusions. Please.
Whoever thinks he got the dox on this guy, think about it twice.
This guy is more elusive than Carmen Sandiego.

This guy is a confirmed wannabe career scammer, and I found at least three different names (aliases) associated with themad2403@live.com
But he is definitely hispanic with some technical knowledge.
This case has to be threaded carefully.

I suspect he's in Souther California.  San Bernadino area.
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4200
Merit: 4447

View Profile
May 10, 2014, 12:58:29 AM

theres a mario perez that is interested in hacking that goes to meetups in guatemala

http://www.meetup.com/HacksHackersGuatemala/members/41823132/

not sure if its the same dude, but name and hobby's are atleast common

and another mario perez interested in hacking.. but from spain
https://soundcloud.com/h4ck3r-2

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: