Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 06:43:35 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why Does the US Military Think Bitcoin Is a Terrorist Threat?  (Read 5277 times)
JamesSchofield

Activity: 21
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 12, 2014, 06:00:16 PM

I dont think the US military thinks a lot of things through  Shocked

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Boris-The-Blade

Activity: 156
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 12, 2014, 07:54:50 PM

Some people will inevitably use Bitcoins for naughty things but it is much the same with cash.
blackhull

Activity: 23

View Profile
May 12, 2014, 11:52:02 PM

To answer the question in the title, I would imagine it's because if they don't understand it or how it could be used as a threat, then it could become one. If they do understand how it could be used against them, then it's much harder to use it against them. Most terrorism gets thwarted in the financial realm, in my opinion, so I can see why they would do this at least.
shawshankinmate37927

Activity: 854
Merit: 1000

Bitcoin: The People's Bailout

View Profile
May 13, 2014, 12:24:31 AM

Time to invade Iran in search of Satoshi Nakamoto.

lol...

Yep, they'll try to convince the sheeple that Satoshi is the mastermind behind this plot to destroy America by creating an alternative to the dollar.

"It is well enough that people of the nation do not understand our banking and monetary system, for if they did, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning."   - Henry Ford
counter

Activity: 798
Merit: 500

Time is on our side, yes it is!

View Profile
May 13, 2014, 04:40:08 AM

The US Military are all about "order"  With order they feel they have control.  Bitcoin is not something that can be controlled and put in a box.  This scares them and they try to spread fear to others by using terms they know works like terrorism or terrorists.
7queue

Activity: 177
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 13, 2014, 05:37:32 AM

Terrorist: A Slave that the Master Fears...  Huh

8 )

8 )
Bitcoinpro
Legendary

Activity: 1344

View Profile
May 13, 2014, 05:56:45 AM
Last edit: May 13, 2014, 07:00:09 AM by Bitcoinpro

Why doesn't OP call Ryan Fisher and ask him

https://www.fbo.gov/index?s=opportunity&mode=form&id=dde16c3287e01f9c4e23cef3e1593b83&tab=core&tabmode=list&=

WWW.FACEBOOK.COM

CRYPTOCURRENCY CENTRAL BANK

LTC: LP7bcFENVL9vdmUVea1M6FMyjSmUfsMVYf
counter

Activity: 798
Merit: 500

Time is on our side, yes it is!

View Profile
May 13, 2014, 10:17:22 AM

Some people will inevitably use Bitcoins for naughty things but it is much the same with cash.

I man it is so much worse with cash if you ask me.  I've come to understand that cash is much more superior way to launder money and bitcoin and I don't know any local criminals and drug dealers that accept cash.  In my opinion cash is what the terrorists prefer over Bitcoins anyway.
Slingshot

Activity: 616
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 12:36:20 PM

RE:Why Does the US Military Think Bitcoin Is a Terrorist Threat?

It doesn't. It's not.

Pure FUD.

Bitcoin is Freedom.
Este Nuno
Legendary

Activity: 826

amarha

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 02:23:25 PM

It's possible that it could be used by terrorists to transfer value around. But honestly at this point I highly doubt it, and I would expect most groups to have some sort of network between countries where they can exchange money. I know there is a massive non-terror related network for transferring money throughout the muslim world already.
blackhull

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 11:55:54 PM

It's possible that it could be used by terrorists to transfer value around. But honestly at this point I highly doubt it, and I would expect most groups to have some sort of network between countries where they can exchange money. I know there is a massive non-terror related network for transferring money throughout the muslim world already.

You're thinking of something called a hawala network, and those are (probably) way more closely monitored by US intel than BTC currently is. I definitely understand why people are upset the US military is monitoring BTC, but at least it's really nothing more than par for the course. It doesn't seem like they have anything against BTC in particular, just kind of the idea of something unmonitored that can be used to launder money. And, by the way, preventing money laundering is one of the easiest and most effective ways of reducing terrorism. Just saying.
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 12:07:44 AM

And, by the way, preventing money laundering is one of the easiest and most effective ways of reducing terrorism.
Only if you use intellectually dishonest definitions of "terrorism".

The terrorist organization which has harmed more innocent people than any other currently-existing organization in the world is the US DoD.
LostDutchman

Activity: 476

View Profile WWW
May 19, 2014, 12:41:27 AM

You guys and dolls haven't yet figured out that all of this is only about government control, have you?

Corporations For Crypto
Protect Your Assets and Reduce Your Tax Liability With A Kansas Corporation!
We Demand Justice From BFL
Slingshot

Activity: 616

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 01:04:46 AM

Ya think? No way. Say it ain't so Joe!

okay...

Yes, the No Such Agency laid all the groundwork out for the very foundation of Bitcoin over the last two decades. Go ahead. Do your due diligence. It's all there. Plenty to fest your bright, wide open eyes over.

https://www.ixquick.com/
https://startpage.com/

Who employs more Crypto Experts than everyone else combined? Bingo doesn't spell it's 3 letter nick name.

And who exactly leads that Outfit? Yep, the Military. Officially or not their the likely ones. Get over it.

We been played. Soon Our Masters Get Punked.

It's all PR theater folks.

Get over it.

Bitcoin is The Future.
Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 01:11:44 AM

If you are a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

I have somehow never heard that before...pretty funny.  Smiley

Why Does the US Military Think Bitcoin Is a Terrorist Threat?
I'm not convinced they actually do consider BTC a legit Terrorist threat.
Almost anything that radically enhances personal freedom is eventually the target of propaganda. (i.e. The Internet, local militias, etc)

keithers
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1001

This is the land of wolves now & you're not a wolf

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 01:14:56 AM

I don't think they really think that, they are just using the propaganda because all the negative PR they produced by claiming BTC was a safe haven for money laundering and buying drugs, was not that successful in squashing BTC.

They probably feel it is a slight threat because of how quickly and seamlessly you can move funds around the world to fund literally anything in an instant.
LostDutchman

Activity: 476

View Profile WWW
May 19, 2014, 04:35:22 AM

If you are a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

I have somehow never heard that before...pretty funny.  Smiley

Why Does the US Military Think Bitcoin Is a Terrorist Threat?
I'm not convinced they actually do consider BTC a legit Terrorist threat.
Almost anything that radically enhances personal freedom is eventually the target of propaganda. (i.e. The Internet, local militias, etc)

It's sure true though!

Corporations For Crypto
Protect Your Assets and Reduce Your Tax Liability With A Kansas Corporation!
We Demand Justice From BFL
blackhull

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 07:57:32 AM

And, by the way, preventing money laundering is one of the easiest and most effective ways of reducing terrorism.

The terrorist organization which has harmed more innocent people than any other currently-existing organization in the world is the US DoD.

OK since I can already tell we probably won't find common ground, let's just use drug traffickers as a stand-in in the example.
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 08:00:43 AM

OK since I can already tell we probably won't find common ground, let's just use drug traffickers as a stand-in in the example.
Well, ok, but the difference between the CIA and the military is really splitting hairs.
ShakyhandsBTCer

Activity: 448

It's Money 2.0| It’s gold for nerds | It's Bitcoin

View Profile
June 14, 2014, 06:58:17 PM

I would not agree with your statement, however the DoD does use a large amount of money every year. They get their funding from the US government.

A terrorist organization needs to be able to fund themselves
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: