Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 12:11:28 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Frustrated with Ease of Use  (Read 3167 times)
Alex Beckenham

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 18, 2011, 03:58:57 AM

My offer expires in 10 minutes Smiley hehehe

Haha, if I didn't have a job tomorrow morning (which only pays me in USD, semi-sadly), I'd take you up on it. My goal is to have enough bitcoins in my account by the next minor US holiday (maybe Easter?) to distribute enough bitcoins to my friends, which will force them to open Bitcoin accounts. And then they'll say "What do we use these for?" And then I'll tell them I'm actually buying them a round of drinks, but it will cost them X BTC each. Tada, that's the gift! Throw in a little random paranoia about the value of the US dollar dropping, and we'll start using it on transactions with each other. In theory.

And as an added bonus, if all your friends have bitcoins, it'll be easier to get them to draw fake glasses on their face. Okay I'll stop now Smiley

But definitely go and detail your skills in the Market Place section.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
CreativeEmbassy (OP)

Activity: 11
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 18, 2011, 04:03:42 AM

How powerful is your video card? You might be able to meet your own requirements by then if you start mining now.

edit: Oh right, you've already said you've been mining for a month with no result...

Yeah. Should I have seen results by then?

And I was only CPU mining then, on nights and business hours when I wasn't using my computer. I was still surprised that I didn't make anything. If you see much better results with GPU mining, I'd be willing to give that a shot. Especially if you see more frequent returns in a pool with a GPU miner.
CreativeEmbassy (OP)

View Profile
April 18, 2011, 04:04:12 AM

But definitely go and detail your skills in the Market Place section.

FINE.  Wink
CreativeEmbassy (OP)

View Profile
April 18, 2011, 04:26:05 AM

Here's my post in the marketplace. Clicky if you want to see me at work!

Also, I contemplated making another thread about this, but the thread IS called "Ease of Use". What's the typical waiting period for a transaction to show up, and then how much time does it take to be confirmed by 2-3 people? From a theoretical POV, say businesses in my hometown start accepting BTC as a form of payment, and the local government starts taking it as well. (YAY!) If I'm standing in front of Mr. Hot Dog Vendor with my BTC ATM card, how long will I be holding up the line waiting for transaction confirmation?
rezin777

View Profile
April 18, 2011, 04:32:26 AM

How powerful is your video card? You might be able to meet your own requirements by then if you start mining now.

edit: Oh right, you've already said you've been mining for a month with no result...

Yeah. Should I have seen results by then?

And I was only CPU mining then, on nights and business hours when I wasn't using my computer. I was still surprised that I didn't make anything. If you see much better results with GPU mining, I'd be willing to give that a shot. Especially if you see more frequent returns in a pool with a GPU miner.

GPU is the way to go. For now.
Alex Beckenham

View Profile
April 18, 2011, 04:43:17 AM

If I'm standing in front of Mr. Hot Dog Vendor with my BTC ATM card, how long will I be holding up the line waiting for transaction confirmation?

Up to 1.5 hours, depending on the price of the hot dog.

And depending on how many confirmations Mr Hot Dog Vendor wants before trusting that the transaction is valid.

And depending on whether you've opted to pay a transaction fee or not.

Sorry I don't have any links at the moment for where this has previously been discussed... but it has, and it's not as bad as I make it sound Wink

gigabytecoin

Activity: 280
Merit: 252

View Profile
April 19, 2011, 09:07:50 AM

If I'm standing in front of Mr. Hot Dog Vendor with my BTC ATM card, how long will I be holding up the line waiting for transaction confirmation?

Up to 1.5 hours, depending on the price of the hot dog.

And depending on how many confirmations Mr Hot Dog Vendor wants before trusting that the transaction is valid.

And depending on whether you've opted to pay a transaction fee or not.

Sorry I don't have any links at the moment for where this has previously been discussed... but it has, and it's not as bad as I make it sound Wink

Not true. By the time hot dog vendors start accepting bitcoins. There will be a third party that creates "instant" transactions. Gavin said it best, instant transactions by your bank are a fantasy. Most bank transactions take a few days.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: