Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 09:01:09 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin integration in a hotel  (Read 2430 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
rpietila (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1036

View Profile
May 10, 2014, 11:21:55 AM

Hi all!

I am contemplating, how to design a hotel, which uses the Bitcoin technology in every possible way.

One line of thinking goes like this:

Upon check-in, everybody receives an Android smartphone, which acts as their command center during the stay. It serves many functions:

- Calling (no need to care about high price for foreign network or different standard in your own mobile - this one calls all local numbers for free)

- Room service/local services (most important numbers are pre-programmed)

- Wallet (it has bitcoins that you can transfer from your own wallet or buy from the reception; everything in the hotel can be bought with bitcoins)

- Tipping (all staff of the hotel wear tipping address)

- Room control (room controls such as temperature)

- Room key (scan/show a code to get in to your room).

HIM TVA Dragon, AOK-GM, Emperor of the Earth, Creator of the World, King of Crypto Kingdom, Lord of Malla, AOD-GEN, SA-GEN5, Ministry of Plenty (Join NOW!), Professor of Economics and Theology, Ph.D, AM, Chairman, Treasurer, Founder, CEO, 3*MG-2, 82*OHK, NKP, WTF, FFF, etc(x3)

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You get merit points when someone likes your post enough to give you some. And for every 2 merit points you receive, you can send 1 merit point to someone else!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
skydiveguy

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 10, 2014, 12:36:54 PM

and?
Initscri

Activity: 1554
Merit: 759

View Profile WWW
May 10, 2014, 06:41:02 PM

3 issues at least.

1: Some people will take the phones. Phones are worth more than  1 night stay.
2: Are you going to be factory resetting phones after each person. Someone could easily infect a phone and await the next users Bitcoin transaction.
3: Learning curve. Bitcoin isn't big enough that people will flock to the hotel and people who don't know Bitcoin may not be interested enough to learn it. It might be worth allowing the payment of Bitcoin in all ways that you said for people who already know and understand Bitcoin. Then offer someone to train interested participants who don't and offer normal fiat payments for all uninterested parties.

----------------------------------
Web Developer. PM for details.
rpietila (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
May 10, 2014, 08:12:06 PM

1: Some people will take the phones. Phones are worth more than  1 night stay.

LOL, didn't think of that  Cheesy I guess for that type of people the hotel offers other valuables to steal also, such as espresso machines...

2: Are you going to be factory resetting phones after each person. Someone could easily infect a phone and await the next users Bitcoin transaction.

Hmm.. can you elaborate more how the attack would be conducted? I was thinking to only reset the bitcoin wallet for each user. The destination addresses are controlled by the hotel.

3: Learning curve. Bitcoin isn't big enough that people will flock to the hotel and people who don't know Bitcoin may not be interested enough to learn it. It might be worth allowing the payment of Bitcoin in all ways that you said for people who already know and understand Bitcoin. Then offer someone to train interested participants who don't and offer normal fiat payments for all uninterested parties.

The use of the phone for payments would be voluntary. We allow also cash/card and room billing. But with the phone we could make tricks such as ordering in a restaurant without a waitress and other cool stuff.

Besides I think some of the million bitcoiners in the world would actually visit the hotel just because it is integrated with Bitcoin. Many businesses have seen a surge in demand after accepting coin, and now we are talking about a native Bitcoin business.

HIM TVA Dragon, AOK-GM, Emperor of the Earth, Creator of the World, King of Crypto Kingdom, Lord of Malla, AOD-GEN, SA-GEN5, Ministry of Plenty (Join NOW!), Professor of Economics and Theology, Ph.D, AM, Chairman, Treasurer, Founder, CEO, 3*MG-2, 82*OHK, NKP, WTF, FFF, etc(x3)
RCHumphrey

Activity: 470
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 10, 2014, 08:22:44 PM

You're guaranteed to get some novelty value, but depending on where your hotel is located and how accessible it is, I'd question how much you'll benefit from Bitcoin integration.

Initscri

Activity: 1554
Merit: 759

View Profile WWW
May 10, 2014, 09:36:42 PM

For attacks, if the user understood Unix, they could root the device and add a backdoor. For security, you would want to factory reset and secure the device after each person. You would have to account labor for this.

My recommendation would be to only give the Android device to people wanting to learn Bitcoin. For notifications and promotions ( calling as well ), you could get an app developer to create most of those functions and just have the knowledgeable Bitcoin users download and use the app. They would already have Bitcoin wallets on their phones installed.

I would happily stay at a hotel with Bitcoin payments, and I don't doubt the novelty value of this idea as I've already seen hotels allow Bitcoin payment ( obviously not to this extent however ). Look up coinmap for competition.

Web Developer. PM for details.
Carlton Banks
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 3071

View Profile
May 10, 2014, 09:47:27 PM

Consider the advantages of writing an Android app for use at the hotel, then the guests use their own phone. Selling phones at reception possibly wouldn't be such a bad idea, but you have to wonder how many people would turn up with no smartphone or an Apple phone. At least 75% of your market are probably Android users anyway.

Vires in numeris
jbrnt

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 10, 2014, 09:48:07 PM

I do not see any value in integrating bitcoin in a hotel room at the moment. Most people just need a nice clean room to stay in, they will not pick your hotel just because they can buy a packet of peanuts from the minibar with bitcoin. Besides, bitcoin adoption is still too low. Hotel guest are likely to know nothing about bitcoin. Just stick with room booking with bitcoin.
temen

Activity: 119
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 11, 2014, 07:41:31 AM

One would like to make prices greatly lower when using bitcoin, as based on its future prediction of value Cheesy

If people reserved a room with cash, they would receive also phone, preloaded with some bitcoins as promotion? Value  of these bitcoins could the price difference between cash reservations and bitcoin reservations. Basicly everybody would be paying the same but this way people perhaps get introduced to bitcoin "in the normal process".

Nobody forces them to use their bitcoin but people would do it as it would be foolish not to.

I think adjusting room temperature by using bitcoin-technology is something ordinary people just wont need/do. Some hackers would definitely turn cooling off=)

On the restaurant there should be nicely integrated way in every table for people load their smartphones (i mean every brand not just hotel owned phones). Perhaps on the center of the table or on the edges. It should not get in the way of ordinary eating.

Those hotel owned phones should be loaded cable-free, spots on the table on the hotel room where this would be possible.

Keeping those phones clean is a must as phones carry the most bacteria novadays. Sleek looking, expendable "condom" would do it. This shouldnt affect the looks too much.

Greetings from finland Cool

bitsmichel

Activity: 518
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 11, 2014, 07:51:47 AM

Hotel guest are likely to know nothing about bitcoin. Just stick with room booking with bitcoin.

Do both. The bigger your market, the more money you get.

rpietila (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
May 11, 2014, 08:31:20 AM

One would like to make prices greatly lower when using bitcoin, as based on its future prediction of value Cheesy

Yes, I have the idea that advance bookings with bitcoin would get exponentially decaying cheaper based on how far in the future they are. The discount per month would be 10%. Therefore a booking paid now for July, 2015, would only cost 23% of the listed price when paid in advance.

Whatd'ya think?  Grin

If people reserved a room with cash, they would receive also phone, preloaded with some bitcoins as promotion? Value  of these bitcoins could the price difference between cash reservations and bitcoin reservations. Basicly everybody would be paying the same but this way people perhaps get introduced to bitcoin "in the normal process".

Nobody forces them to use their bitcoin but people would do it as it would be foolish not to.

Having the phone-keycard always with them, is a great tool for contacting the butlers, reception, bookings and management in an acceptable way (Finns esp. tend to be very shy if something is not perfect they only grumble about it to all their friends, not to the hotel staff who have the power to fix it). The preloaded bitcoins can also be used for tipping.

On the restaurant there should be nicely integrated way in every table for people load their smartphones (i mean every brand not just hotel owned phones). Perhaps on the center of the table or on the edges. It should not get in the way of ordinary eating.

In general I think phones don't belong to the restaurant, so this service would be in the reception rather.

Those hotel owned phones should be loaded cable-free, spots on the table on the hotel room where this would be possible.

This is cool.

Keeping those phones clean is a must as phones carry the most bacteria novadays. Sleek looking, expendable "condom" would do it. This shouldnt affect the looks too much.

Greetings from finland Cool

haha

temen

Activity: 119
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 11, 2014, 07:37:01 PM
Last edit: May 11, 2014, 07:48:32 PM by temen

---
Yes, I have the idea that advance bookings with bitcoin would get exponentially decaying cheaper based on how far in the future they are. The discount per month would be 10%. Therefore a booking paid now for July, 2015, would only cost 23% of the listed price when paid in advance.

Whatd'ya think?  Grin
---

That's almost cheating Grin Otherwise it sounds really good as one could always buy bitcoins with cash and book in advance. Way to fill reservation book - for next year Cool Cancellations in fiat-based exchange ratio?

---
Having the phone-keycard always with them, is a great tool for contacting the butlers, reception, bookings and management in an acceptable way (Finns esp. tend to be very shy if something is not perfect they only grumble about it to all their friends, not to the hotel staff who have the power to fix it). The preloaded bitcoins can also be used for tipping.
---

Ok, so it works like ordinary phone but in txt-version if wanted. Personally i would just pick the phone, or the way i like it walk to the desk and tell them whats wrong. But perhaps bitcoin users are a bit tech oriented and would just use it because they can. I know people who text everything they want to say instead of phoning (and resolving matter in more timely manner).

---

-
In general I think phones don't belong to the restaurant, so this service would be in the reception rather.
-
---

Times change and especially young people dont see any harm digging their phone up and start tabbing it during dinner/every else activity. I consider this rude, but this seems to be the case. Just 10 year younger people fall into this category, for them its normal.

---
haha
---

I did mean like sleek looking, perhaps washable shell thats easy to swap after use.

For the infrastructure of IT in the building, it should be system build from scratch. If used some big companies, they will deliver something, then they sell bug fix after another. At least this is what happened in finnish healthcare thing, nothing works, all have different protocols and systems. Estonians did their whole countrys hospital IT for 10 million I think. I have heard it works even better than finland.

Geeks shouldnt test the thing, it would be a disaster! Seen it happen before.

edit: I mean that it should be tested on ordinary people, from those with no contact with computers to those with some experience (ordinary web surfing, paying the bills).

Usage should be self explanatory and everything on screen just easy to read. Like something that every kid would understand immediately.

btw: interested in 3d scanning the building? PM

Carlton Banks
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 3071

View Profile
May 11, 2014, 09:11:12 PM

That's almost cheating Grin Otherwise it sounds really good as one could always buy bitcoins with cash and book in advance. Way to fill reservation book - for next year Cool

And a great precedent to set as a pricing model for all bitcoin businesses that sell products where customers pay in advance (mining hardware companies already do this, really). Doing good business that way helps to reinforce the exchange rate feedback loop.

Vires in numeris
PolarPoint

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 11, 2014, 09:39:22 PM

Hotels make a fair amount through phone calls. Giving free calls lowers your turnover.
infognom

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 13, 2014, 02:45:20 AM

I am contemplating, how to design a hotel, which uses the Bitcoin technology in every possible way.

Only taking Bitcoin into account would be a shortcoming. You not only want your customers to use the convenient way of paying their stuff with bitcoin, you probably make them more focus on the value they get out of their bitcoin-spendings. So in fact, Bitcoin needs to disappear and the convenience consumption of goods and services at your hotel at the customer's fingertips needs to get into the focus.

Excuse the branding, but, as an inspiration, look at this experimental implementation of ordering beer at a beergarden and what that process would even make it more simple if things are paid with bitcoin:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blR5wyQMgrk

Here is another example of the smart wineshelf (noy yet in video):
http://techblog.hybris.com/2014/04/25/the-smart-wine-shelf-how-iot-and-retail-come-together/

Bitcoin is not enough. Don't underestimate the effort of letting Bitcoin disappear, focus on the customer's value (getting out of his bitcoin spendings), and not even have a proof of concept, but having it as true working solution for your usecases.

good luck!
frienemy

Activity: 235
Merit: 100

I was promised da moon

View Profile
May 13, 2014, 08:23:56 PM

Phone stealing problem:

Simple solution: Demand a small security deposit and people won't steal the phones

Phone hacker problem:

I think, the following should be possible: As there is the possibility to recharge phone battery without cable, there is no actual need for the microUSB entrance. If you are able to seal or disable this entrance, the phones would be much more secure.

MCTRL_751 >   END OF LINE
conspirosphere.tk
Legendary

Activity: 2352
Merit: 1064

Bitcoin is antisemitic

View Profile
May 13, 2014, 09:16:35 PM

i would not load any wallet of mine on any third-party phone, and i don't think that is a good idea even on your side for every sort of costs/risks/PITA.  Much more practical to let anyone use theirs.

What kind of room services would be available? (ehm)
Sauna? Pool? Altcoins accepted?

And how about the inauguration party?
elg

Activity: 151
Merit: 104

View Profile WWW
May 13, 2014, 09:19:23 PM

Can i make a reservation?

bitcoinvest
Legendary

Activity: 1124
Merit: 1000

13eJ4feC39JzbdY2K9W3ytQzWhunsxL83X

View Profile
May 14, 2014, 12:11:24 AM

Greetings,

As part of my job is to create websites and payment gateways for my customers and i found it good to reply (even though at the wall observer some months ago i totally disagreed with you but that's what a forum does, communicating among other) so  what you ask for is to serve your customers for all your services and get paid with bitcoin. Like every other hotel in the world, at the point of checkout is when the payment is made.

So why having mobile phones? Can't find a reason....You can have and installed tablet in each room with (custom app) the choices they have ( order from bar, schedule massage etc ) and of course each tablet has a room number so you know from where you received your inquiry.

Every activity of the customer is registered in the back end and when the customer wants to checkout you give him the total ( QR code, email etc)

This would be the best for make it easy and of course not having security issues.....

What is your thoughts?
Syke
Legendary

Activity: 3878
Merit: 1193

View Profile
May 14, 2014, 02:50:27 AM

I don't want to lug around a second phone. But I would swap in a new sim card, so just have the hotel provide local sim cards for the stay. The rest of the phone-related add-ons can simply be an app that is easily installed when checking in.

Buy & Hold
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: