Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 09:16:04 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Software for cutting video clips recorded with fraps/hypercam2 from games  (Read 596 times)
platorin (OP)

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 10, 2014, 01:35:01 PM

Mates, could anyone recommend a software for cutting video clips? I know windows movies makers has thah option, but I kind of dislike that one. I need a tool to cut the file on exact second or frame. Could any of you recommend anything good and freeware?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Activity + Trust + Earned Merit == The Most Recognized Users on Bitcointalk
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
BawsyBoss

Activity: 389

View Profile
May 10, 2014, 01:51:23 PM

I personally use Adobe Premiere Pro, but it costs some good $$$, so you probably don't want to go for that. I had heard of a really good video editor that was both free and open source, but I can't temember the name. I'll come back after I find it.

Forever strong.
Chrithu

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 10, 2014, 02:13:39 PM
Last edit: May 10, 2014, 02:41:43 PM by Chrithu

Best free program I have found for this is "Windows Movie Maker 6.0". Mind you that "Windows Live Movie Maker" is NOT the same thing and has a lot less features (for instance making cut's at exact frames is a lot easier in WMM 6.0, one of the reasons many people use it over the live mm).

Take a look at http://movies.blainesville.com/: It's a blog about movie maker by a guy that made a lot of cool and useful additional effects for it. He also has an article up there about how to get Windows Movie Maker 6.0 running on Windows 7 and 8.

A note to make about it: When I last used it having Chrome running while trying to export a movie made it fail. But aside from that it worked fantastic.

I also link you a video I made using it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhMW9xXof2U

Edit: Just watched the video again myself and remembered some important thing: When you plan on trying to make cuts in line with the background music make sure you only use constant bitrate MP3s. The timeline in MM 6 can't handle dynamic bitrate very well to say it mildly.

If you absolutely do not like WMM then an alternative that is worth a look at is VSDC Free Video Editor by Flash Integro: http://www.videosoftdev.com/free-video-editor/download.

platorin (OP)

View Profile
May 12, 2014, 01:08:54 PM

Best free program I have found for this is "Windows Movie Maker 6.0". Mind you that "Windows Live Movie Maker" is NOT the same thing and has a lot less features (for instance making cut's at exact frames is a lot easier in WMM 6.0, one of the reasons many people use it over the live mm).

Take a look at http://movies.blainesville.com/: It's a blog about movie maker by a guy that made a lot of cool and useful additional effects for it. He also has an article up there about how to get Windows Movie Maker 6.0 running on Windows 7 and 8.

A note to make about it: When I last used it having Chrome running while trying to export a movie made it fail. But aside from that it worked fantastic.

I also link you a video I made using it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhMW9xXof2U

Edit: Just watched the video again myself and remembered some important thing: When you plan on trying to make cuts in line with the background music make sure you only use constant bitrate MP3s. The timeline in MM 6 can't handle dynamic bitrate very well to say it mildly.

If you absolutely do not like WMM then an alternative that is worth a look at is VSDC Free Video Editor by Flash Integro: http://www.videosoftdev.com/free-video-editor/download.
Thank you very much, mate. I was using Windows Movie Maker few years ago. Seems like it is still the best choice. All best to you and good luck!
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
May 12, 2014, 01:13:36 PM

Thank you very much, mate. I was using Windows Movie Maker few years ago. Seems like it is still the best choice. All best to you and good luck!
If by best you mean least features and being free yes. Otherwise go for Adobe Premiere or Sony Vegas (which is my favorite and I still use it).
These 2 options go only if you plan to pay for them or your country permits downloading copyrighted software.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
KIRAZ

View Profile
May 12, 2014, 01:18:55 PM

Camtasia studio & Sony Vegas pro both are good but they are costly.  Smiley
oli123123
Legendary

Activity: 1445
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 12, 2014, 02:33:08 PM

Camtasia studio & Sony Vegas pro both are good but they are costly.  Smiley
Yeah, Sony Vegas is pretty good.
Chrithu

View Profile
May 12, 2014, 03:12:02 PM

If by best you mean least features and being free yes. Otherwise go for Adobe Premiere or Sony Vegas (which is my favorite and I still use it).
These 2 options go only if you plan to pay for them or your country permits downloading copyrighted software.

Well he specifically asked for a FREE software. Of course WMM or VSDC cannot compete with Premiere or Vegas. After all the latter two cost money for a reason but in my view they are largely overfeatured if all you wanna do is editing some captures from games on a hobbyist level and upload them on youtube.

Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
May 12, 2014, 03:26:45 PM

Well he specifically asked for a FREE software. Of course WMM or VSDC cannot compete with Premiere or Vegas. After all the latter two cost money for a reason but in my view they are largely overfeatured if all you wanna do is editing some captures from games on a hobbyist level and upload them on youtube.
'Could any of you recommend anything good and freeware?' This doesn't mean the it needs to be free. He should have expressed himself differently, but okay. I've always used Sony Vegas even if the project was a simple fix and render that takes a minute to complete.

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
Chrithu

View Profile
May 12, 2014, 05:00:37 PM

-snip-

'Could any of you recommend anything good and freeware?' This doesn't mean the it needs to be free. He should have expressed himself differently, but okay. I've always used Sony Vegas even if the project was a simple fix and render that takes a minute to complete.

Ok. If one is nitpicking then 'freeware' would include any time limited demo versions of the professional softwares aswell. You are right. And if they are full-featured he should try and use them.

On a sidenote: I just found out that Adobe Premiere Pro 2.0 is available for free just like Photoshop CS 2. So that could be worth a look aswell. Though I don't know if 2.0 was HD resolution capable.

Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
May 12, 2014, 08:47:19 PM

-snip-

Ok. If one is nitpicking then 'freeware' would include any time limited demo versions of the professional softwares aswell. You are right. And if they are full-featured he should try and use them.

On a sidenote: I just found out that Adobe Premiere Pro 2.0 is available for free just like Photoshop CS 2. So that could be worth a look aswell. Though I don't know if 2.0 was HD resolution capable.
It is quite old, released back in 2006.
Here is a list of features:
Docking Workspaces
Multicam editing
Adobe Clip Notes
Dynamic Link with After Effects projects
DVD authoring from the timeline
Native HDV editing
Native SD and HD support
Enhanced color-correction tools
10-bit and 16-bit color resolution support
32-bit internal color processing
GPU-accelerated rendering

So according to this, it has HD support. He should definitely try it out.

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: