Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 04:24:05 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Mastercard hired 5 lobbyists to slam bitcoin in US Congress  (Read 3042 times)
spazzdla
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 16, 2014, 05:56:19 PM

Let the honey badger do its work.  The problem will take care of itself

This, the govs of this world are snakes all of them.  Have you seen what the honey badger does to snakes?  Its going to eat Putin take a nap than eat up Obama and Harper in one go.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what." -- Greg Maxwell
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
May 16, 2014, 08:13:58 PM

I doubt that is going to persuade a judge.
The reading comprehension is weak with this one.
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
May 16, 2014, 08:32:04 PM

I don't know what you are looking at in that link that is relevant to my statements?

Anyway, the only lobbyists working to counter the work of MasterCard are those employed by the bitcoin foundation. Considering how loony and in tatters the bitcoin community is MC has a good chance of winning their arguments and writing the policy you and I will have to live with.  Sad

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
Onicoman

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 16, 2014, 10:40:05 PM

I don't know what you are looking at in that link that is relevant to my statements?

Anyway, the only lobbyists working to counter the work of MasterCard are those employed by the bitcoin foundation. Considering how loony and in tatters the bitcoin community is MC has a good chance of winning their arguments and writing the policy you and I will have to live with.  Sad
lets hope the bitcoin gathering in Amsterdam atm gives us some positive uplifting news. The leader off ebay is considering payment in btc , anny news on This front ? This message is partly off topic, for that im sorry - but imo still relevant lol
freshprince

Activity: 116
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 17, 2014, 10:36:30 AM

The thing that's worrying about this is that these guys have a chance of succeeding.
5 people with money supplied by a wealthy financial institution could do a lot more damage than all the 120,000 well-intentioned guys in this thread.
Velkro
Legendary

Activity: 2296
Merit: 1014

View Profile
May 17, 2014, 10:39:17 AM

they will try fight it but bitcoin is such revolution it will be easiest and best international payment system no matter what
freshprince

Activity: 116

View Profile
May 17, 2014, 10:42:52 AM

That's the government that rules us. It's bought and paid for by the unscrupulous. The greed or the ignorance of lawmakers is their target. They will try to kill technology that has the real potential of ushering in a better lifestyle for billions of people around the globe. That is what they are deliberately trying to do and they could succeed or at least impede its growth.
JazzCouncil

Activity: 87

View Profile
May 17, 2014, 10:47:11 AM

Here's the most important part

"Two weeks later, members of the House Appropriations Committee announced they have concerns with “virtual currencies like bitcoin” and are awaiting a briefing from the FBI regarding criminals and terrorists using virtual currencies to illegally launder and transfer money.
Lobbyist at work!"

Forget NASCAR, crowdfund Lobbyists bitcoiners.
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
May 17, 2014, 01:18:58 PM

The thing that's worrying about this is that these guys have a chance of succeeding.
5 people with money supplied by a wealthy financial institution could do a lot more damage than all the 120,000 well-intentioned guys in this thread.
If programmers can't evolve their software faster than legislators can evolve their laws, they aren't very good programmers.

Let the US Congress make Bitcoin illegal.

It will simply mean that the pace of innovation will increase.
acs267

Activity: 644
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 17, 2014, 02:38:36 PM

If programmers can't evolve their software faster than legislators can evolve their laws, they aren't very good programmers.

Let the US Congress make Bitcoin illegal.

It will simply mean that the pace of innovation will increase.

If the US Congress makes Bitcoin illegal, it's pretty obvious they're trying to make a profit out of it, too. Limiting the range of sellers will increase the range of buyers everyday. It's basically what the Gov did with Marijuana. Legalize it to get a benefit out of it.
Onicoman

Activity: 70

View Profile
May 17, 2014, 11:30:02 PM

Here's the most important part

"Two weeks later, members of the House Appropriations Committee announced they have concerns with “virtual currencies like bitcoin” and are awaiting a briefing from the FBI regarding criminals and terrorists using virtual currencies to illegally launder and transfer money.
Lobbyist at work!"

Forget NASCAR, crowdfund Lobbyists bitcoiners.
lets just Get it done !? Simply brilliant
bg002h
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1463
Merit: 1047

I outlived my lifetime membership:)

View Profile WWW
May 18, 2014, 01:16:42 AM

MC can probably do a lot to suppress the exchange value of bitcoins. They're a huge centralized corporation that can bring huge resources to bear on a well thought out, organized plan to influence laws and regulations and make bitcoins less useful / more difficult for regular people.

Might it be wise to try to pool our resources and have an organized response? Oh, wait, we did that...the Bitcoin Foundation has been making the connections with the people who will decide on how the other 98% of people who aren't as computer savvy as we get access to bitcoins.

Hardforks aren't that hard. It’s getting others to use them that's hard.
1GCDzqmX2Cf513E8NeThNHxiYEivU1Chhe
Davis14

Activity: 98

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 01:31:23 AM

Frankly, I am surprised this didn't happen a year or more ago.  Perhaps the MC executives thought "beanie babies".  I would not be surprised.

Also - The use of Mastercard and Visa as a weapon against Putin shows the problem with centralization.  Now MC and Visa are going to take huge hits over it.  Not that I particularly care as I find credit systems like these to be leeches upon society.

I think all this thread will do is help btc more than hurt it all its doing is hurting ccs and proving Russia is not against btc ( at least not overly aggressive about it)

*Link Removed*  [url=h
keithers
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1001

This is the land of wolves now & you're not a wolf

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 01:44:13 AM

We kind of knew this was where it was headed, the moment we heard lobbyists from MasterCard were in Washington. They obviously want to squash anything that poses a legitimate threat to their bottom line. It wouldn't surprise me, if all the terrorist talk (in relation to BTC), is partly as a result of Mastercard lobbyists.
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: