Bitcoin Forum
March 19, 2024, 09:13:17 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Feds kill Megaupload... are you buying Namecoins yet?  (Read 6340 times)
bb113

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 22, 2012, 07:01:38 AM

I agree, that's a good way of putting it. Granting a monopoly on force -> competition = civil disobedience. I wonder if this can be proved as a formal deductive argument.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Unlike traditional banking where clients have only a few account numbers, with Bitcoin people can create an unlimited number of accounts (addresses). This can be used to easily track payments, and it improves anonymity.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
fornit

Activity: 987
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 24, 2012, 06:11:17 PM

filesonic basically shutdown itself as a precaution. several others closed their affilliate programs and/or are massively deleting files. looks like the feds were quite effective in making an example of megaupload.
film2240
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1000

Freelance videographer

View Profile WWW
January 24, 2012, 09:55:28 PM

I'm just glad I had a backup of my film files on my 2 computers.I used MegaUpload to promote my portfolio of films to prospective employers (in the field of film making,editing,e.t.c) as well as friends and family.I used to have them available on my blog from those MU links,now they're gone.

MU was one of my favourite hosts due to speed and flexibility for me which is valuable for me as a filmmaker.I'm not happy with the fact that MegaUpload (MU) got shutdown.That makes me question why bother with SOPA/PIPA when the US Govt clearly has enough powers to shutdown 'infringing' sites.

How valuable are namecoins in USD,GBP and BTC now?

[This signature is available for rent.BTC/ETH/LTC or £50 equivalent a month]
ZodiacDragon84

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

The king and the pawn go in the same box @ endgame

View Profile
January 25, 2012, 02:22:21 AM

I'm just glad I had a backup of my film files on my 2 computers.I used MegaUpload to promote my portfolio of films to prospective employers (in the field of film making,editing,e.t.c) as well as friends and family.I used to have them available on my blog from those MU links,now they're gone.

MU was one of my favourite hosts due to speed and flexibility for me which is valuable for me as a filmmaker.I'm not happy with the fact that MegaUpload (MU) got shutdown.That makes me question why bother with SOPA/PIPA when the US Govt clearly has enough powers to shutdown 'infringing' sites.

I'll sell you 30 namecoins for .17 bitcoins, based on the rates below
https://btc-e.com/exchange/nmc_btc

Looking for a quick easy mining solution? Check out
www.bitminter.com

See my trader rep at Bitcoinfeedback.com
!
sadpandatech

Activity: 504

View Profile
January 25, 2012, 02:46:56 AM

I'll sell you 30 namecoins for .17 bitcoins, based on the rates below
https://btc-e.com/exchange/nmc_btc
*cough* ripoff *cough* atleast @ 0.00566~   Tongue
https://exchange.bitparking.com/main  has em a bit cheaper anyhows.

If you're not excited by the idea of being an early adopter 'now', then you should come back in three or four years and either tell us "Told you it'd never work!" or join what should, by then, be a much more stable and easier-to-use system.
- GA

It is being worked on by smart people.  -DamienBlack
ZodiacDragon84

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

The king and the pawn go in the same box @ endgame

View Profile
January 25, 2012, 03:42:36 AM

Cheesy went off the first exchange i saw. Not trying to rip anyone off.

Looking for a quick easy mining solution? Check out
www.bitminter.com

See my trader rep at Bitcoinfeedback.com
!
pent

Activity: 490

View Profile
January 25, 2012, 04:33:50 AM

Namecoin is very-very raw project in current time. It has no strict rules for name resolution and name resolution is actually tricky there.

I am fall into namecoin -> I2P integration development (fully anonymous domain and destination) https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=60879.0 and found there many questionable points.

Overall question is: how many terabytes will eat local domain database if there will be more that 1 million domains changing their records. Each resolution record is recorded forever. Will the regular users want to install such heavy software on their computers in the future?
Red Emerald

Activity: 742

View Profile WWW
January 25, 2012, 06:58:23 PM

Namecoin is very-very raw project in current time. It has no strict rules for name resolution and name resolution is actually tricky there.

I am fall into namecoin -> I2P integration development (fully anonymous domain and destination) https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=60879.0 and found there many questionable points.

Overall question is: how many terabytes will eat local domain database if there will be more that 1 million domains changing their records. Each resolution record is recorded forever. Will the regular users want to install such heavy software on their computers in the future?
Once bitcoin implements a pruning mechanism for the block chain, namecoin can implement the same.

ThiagoCMC
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1000

฿itcoin: Currency of Resistance!

View Profile
January 26, 2012, 04:29:18 AM

Once bitcoin implements a pruning mechanism for the block chain, namecoin can implement the same.

Or, maybe the Namecoin can use the same approach of "supernode / light client", or, more or like the Bitcoin Lightweight Client, called Electrum.

What about adding support for multiple currencies to Electrum? Like Namecoin or even Litecoin?!

Cheers,
Thiago
Red Emerald

View Profile WWW
January 26, 2012, 09:21:19 PM

Or, maybe the Namecoin can use the same approach of "supernode / light client", or, more or like the Bitcoin Lightweight Client, called Electrum.

What about adding support for multiple currencies to Electrum? Like Namecoin or even Litecoin?!

Cheers,
Thiago

With a bitcoin lite client, the worst the server can do to you is lie about your balance or not relay your transactions. You can't be tricked into having your coins stolen.

With a namecoin lite client, the server could direct you to a phishing site (which a public DNS can do anyways) but your client would trust the fake ssl certificate. That's a deal breaker for me.  Most users of namecoin probably won't even have any coins so having their balances protected isn't really helpful.

I'm not sure of a good solution for a namecoin lite client.

Bro

Activity: 218
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 26, 2012, 11:15:36 PM

the US is a joke of a democracy

they should invade themselves, if you see what I mean
Iyeman

Activity: 1183
Merit: 251

View Profile
January 27, 2012, 02:48:05 PM

Damn, I miss megaupload!

▄████████████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
 ████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████████▄▄
█████                 ▀▀███▄
█████▄                   ▀██▄
███▀███▄                  ███
███  ▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄       ███
███     ▀▀▀▀▀███████████▄▄██▀
███                   ▀▀████
███      ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▄█▄
███   ▄███████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀   ▀██
███ ▄██▀▀                  ██
██████                    ██▀
█████                   ▄██▀
▀████▄       ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
 ▀
█████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
billionair
A TOKEN POWERED RAFFLE PLATFORM
IN THE BSC ECOSYSTEM
▄█████████████████████▄
███████████████████████
████▀███████▀   ▀▀▀▄███
███▌  ▀▀███▌       ▄███
███▀               ████
███▄              █████
████▄            ██████
█████▄▄        ▄███████
████▄       ▄██████████
███████████████████████
▀█████████████████████▀
▄█████████████████████▄
███████████████████████
████████████████▀▀█████
███████████▀▀▀    █████
██████▀▀▀   ▄▀   ██████
███▄     ▄█▀     ██████
██████▄ █▀      ███████
███████▌▐       ███████
████████ ▄██▄  ████████
██████████████▄████████
▀█████████████████████▀
▄█████████████████████▄
█████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████
███▀ ████████████ ▀████
██  ██████▀▀▀██  █  ███
██  ████▀ ███ ▀███  ███
██  ███▀ █████ ▀██  ███
██  ███▄ █████ ▄██  ███
██  █████ ▀▀▀ ████  ███
██  ██████████████  ███
███▄ ████████████ ▄████
▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█████▀
▄███████▀▀▀▀████████▀▀▀▀█████████▄
█████▀  ▄▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄▄  ▀███████
█████  ▀▀▀              ▀▀▀  █████
███                            ███
██                              ██
██        ████      ████        ██
█        ██████    ██████        █
█         ████      ████         █
█                                █
█      ▀▄▄              ▄▄▀      █
██▄      ▀▀█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▀▀      ▄██
███▄▄      ██████████      ▄▄█████
███████▄▄▄████████████▄▄▄█████████
▀████████████████████████████████▀
JOIN AIRDROP
markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
January 27, 2012, 03:13:49 PM

With a namecoin lite client, the server could direct you to a phishing site (which a public DNS can do anyways) but your client would trust the fake ssl certificate. That's a deal breaker for me.  Most users of namecoin probably won't even have any coins so having their balances protected isn't really helpful.

I don't follow this. If the legitimacy of the certificate is somehow depending on how/where you look up the name, maybe whatever the problem is that you are perceiving could be fixed by putting a hash of a self-signed certificate into the namecoin blockchain or something?

I do not follow though how the way you go about looking up the name has anything to do with whether the cetificate presented at the IP address or i2p destination or .onion address or whatever you end up at is going to be thought by your browser to be a legitimate certificate.

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
Red Emerald

View Profile WWW
January 27, 2012, 11:44:12 PM

I don't follow this. If the legitimacy of the certificate is somehow depending on how/where you look up the name, maybe whatever the problem is that you are perceiving could be fixed by putting a hash of a self-signed certificate into the namecoin blockchain or something?

I do not follow though how the way you go about looking up the name has anything to do with whether the cetificate presented at the IP address or i2p destination or .onion address or whatever you end up at is going to be thought by your browser to be a legitimate certificate.

-MarkM-

I am only talking about lite clients here.  The full client has no trouble with checking the validity of a name or SSL cert.

If you are running a lite client, you don't have the blockchain.  Any verification of data against the blockchain is impossible because you don't have the blockchain.

If you ask a remote provider to resolve a namecoin name for you, you have to trust them.  Trusting someone to hand you the real SSL certificate is not a good idea

HostFat
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 4200
Merit: 1202

I support freedom of choice

View Profile WWW
June 22, 2012, 10:18:15 AM

It seems that Kim is going to open his new service MegaBox.
Is there anyone that can support him to add bitcoin currency as payment?

His twitter account:
http://twitter.com/KimDotcom

NON DO ASSISTENZA PRIVATA - http://hostfatmind.com
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
June 22, 2012, 11:34:14 AM

Go Kim!

Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All