Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 08:28:33 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Suggestion to all E-CURRENCY developers, users and nerds.  (Read 1019 times)
E-C.Guru (OP)

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 11, 2014, 01:57:51 AM
Last edit: May 11, 2014, 12:04:48 PM by E-C.Guru

The term CRYPTOcurrency will never be accepted by mainstream audience. If you want to promote Your "coin" refer to it as an e-currency. What do you think happened to the first E-mail providers that sold their services as "Digital letters" or whatever name was rivaling "E-mail"..

And to refer to Your E-currency as an ALTcoin means its just an ALTERNATIVE(Thus not the real deal) to something else. And coin, really? Why? Just because Bitcoin Call their currency ***Coin? This terminology is created only to diminish any copies of bitcoin.

Write a suggestion and I'll put it here on first post for discussion, so far:

E-Currency    (E- being as neutral as e-mail)
E-Money
E-Coin
ICoin     (Do we want to give apple that pleasure??)
ICurrency
Imoney
Intercurrency   
Webcurrency

Thank you for Your time,
/Guru

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
nextgencoin
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 11, 2014, 02:54:02 AM

Thats an interesting point. But aren't other things labelled e-currency like amazon points etc?

I think it's a valid discussion anyway and worth changing. Crypto has a pretty spooky ring to it if you think about it.

Maybe this thread could collect other ideas for a new term and vote eventually..

e- currency
e-money
icurrency
imoney
inter-currency
Webcurrency
inter coins
icoins

well it's a start. We could also have a new word completely made up...
nagatlakshmi

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
May 11, 2014, 04:39:44 AM

Thats an interesting point. But aren't other things labelled e-currency like amazon points etc?

I think it's a valid discussion anyway and worth changing. Crypto has a pretty spooky ring to it if you think about it.

Maybe this thread could collect other ideas for a new term and vote eventually..

e- currency
e-money
icurrency
imoney
inter-currency
Webcurrency
inter coins
icoins

well it's a start. We could also have a new word completely made up...

Good suggestions.

tk808
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1124

Invest in your knowledge

View Profile
May 11, 2014, 07:00:43 AM

This is an interesting topic, i really like the idea of naming alternative currencies e-currencies.

Often we (coins source) have troubles on the various names we call: "Cryptos, Digital Currencies, Altcoins, Coins and etc."

A unifying name will help understand the already complexity of crypto currencies.

I like: e-coin
nextgencoin
Legendary

View Profile
May 11, 2014, 09:36:21 AM

This is an interesting topic, i really like the idea of naming alternative currencies e-currencies.

Often we (coins source) have troubles on the various names we call: "Cryptos, Digital Currencies, Altcoins, Coins and etc."

A unifying name will help understand the already complexity of crypto currencies.

I like: e-coin

It's  interesting that NXT creator who is rumoured to be the creator or Qora have purposely avoided the word coin. I guess because NXT and similar systems are much more that a 'coin'. So I don't want to muddy the waters but also we might need to come up with language that goes beyond the concept of currencies and money...possibly we need several terms..
E-C.Guru (OP)

View Profile
May 11, 2014, 11:39:34 AM

Nice so see theres real interest for this. To me, though, it's a "no-brainer". It's either e-Money or E-currency. E-Currency being the more correct. Coin sounds good and all but really, its not possible to use to describe all e-currencies and it is a Word thats already been taken by the meaning of Coin(As in coin.. remember the small circle shaped metal pieces in real life? That's a coin  Grin)

You could however say: "Ok, so in what coin do you want Your payment?"
It's more of a slang Word.

And Yeah I-Money and those could work also but, I think "e-mail" already decided that the E- will be the standard. Ebay. + Iphone. We don't want to give apple that pleasure, do we?

Btw, what is E-? Electric or Ether?
E-C.Guru (OP)

View Profile
May 11, 2014, 12:10:57 PM

So I don't want to muddy the waters but also we might need to come up with language that goes beyond the concept of currencies and money...possibly we need several terms..

Do we?

In my humble opinion what we need is an easy to remember and easy to use Word. Something that can help us go mainstream. If we come up With more Words and terminology it will only hurt us because already there is a TON of info for newcomers to take in and understand.

For Bitcoin, ofcourse, it's easy. Bitcoin is more known than cryptocurrency. Yet it is 1 e-currencies of many, and will not be the last. I think its very important for all altcoins to get this change done as fast as possible. If the next "To the moon" comes when all Altcoins are still "Crypto" they won't get as much Money from mainstream as they could. It needs to sound profesional and legit and everyone must use the same Word to describe their digital Magic Money.
hopper21

Activity: 10

View Profile
May 11, 2014, 01:46:14 PM

That's a very good point. Anything sounding technical is likely to put normal people off.
nextgencoin
Legendary

View Profile
May 11, 2014, 02:28:23 PM

So I don't want to muddy the waters but also we might need to come up with language that goes beyond the concept of currencies and money...possibly we need several terms..

Do we?

In my humble opinion what we need is an easy to remember and easy to use Word. Something that can help us go mainstream. If we come up With more Words and terminology it will only hurt us because already there is a TON of info for newcomers to take in and understand.

For Bitcoin, ofcourse, it's easy. Bitcoin is more known than cryptocurrency. Yet it is 1 e-currencies of many, and will not be the last. I think its very important for all altcoins to get this change done as fast as possible. If the next "To the moon" comes when all Altcoins are still "Crypto" they won't get as much Money from mainstream as they could. It needs to sound profesional and legit and everyone must use the same Word to describe their digital Magic Money.

What I mean is we can't just call everything a an e-coin when it isn't a coin. I mean what is NXT? I didn't say complicated I said we might need a few....simple ones. e.g a bitcoin is an e-currency, but NXT is a e-currency terminal, or an e-currency platform, module, pod,....or whatever. my point is you can't call distinctly different things the same word, keep easy language but you language still has a purpose to explain and define something specific.
E-C.Guru (OP)

View Profile
May 11, 2014, 02:34:30 PM

Do we?

What I mean is we can't just call everything a an e-coin when it isn't a coin. I mean what is NXT? I didn't say complicated I said we might need a few....simple ones. e.g a bitcoin is an e-currency, but NXT is a e-currency terminal, or an e-currency platform, module, pod,....or whatever. my point is you can't call distinctly different things the same word, keep easy language but you language still has a purpose to explain and define something specific.

Well, you're right.

And wrong Smiley

NXT is an e-currency, just like bitcoin. As is World of Warcraft's gold and silver. But to call cryptocurrencies the same name as this is not a problem because in 1-5 years everyone will use cryptographic e-currencies.

You're right in the way that we do need to develop a terminology that all e-currencies stick to. Coming together for what "cryptocurrencies" should be called is step 1.
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
May 11, 2014, 02:42:04 PM

This has never been an issue to me. I like this new term cryptocurrency. E-currency would be a copy from e-mail then.
You do have a point when it comes to most people, or the average Joe. Those names seem good as well.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
WompRat

Activity: 232
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 11, 2014, 09:01:12 PM

You are right about the usage of the word crypto. It has some negative associations. E-anything though is very 1990s.  You should also remember that E-cash and E-gold were digital cash products that actually existed and then went bankrupt.  In the case of E-gold there were a lot of fraud and money laundering allegations around it.

Ultimately this is why dogecoin uses the following branding and recommends people do not use the term crypto-currency when talking to new users. 

E-C.Guru (OP)

View Profile
May 11, 2014, 10:37:49 PM

But digital currency literally means Numerical Currency. What currency is not counted in numbers/digits?  Undecided

Alphabetical Currencies? Cheesy
nextgencoin
Legendary

View Profile
May 12, 2014, 07:36:17 AM

Do we?

Well, you're right.

And wrong Smiley

NXT is an e-currency, just like bitcoin. As is World of Warcraft's gold and silver. But to call cryptocurrencies the same name as this is not a problem because in 1-5 years everyone will use cryptographic e-currencies.

You're right in the way that we do need to develop a terminology that all e-currencies stick to. Coming together for what "cryptocurrencies" should be called is step 1.

Well you're right and wrong. Smiley

NXT can be termed a currency but it is soooooo much more. I would argue that NXT plays the role of Nasdaq and the Dow in one sense and that's before you talk about the other functions like voting. So we got to separate e-Currencies and also have terms like asset exchanges (which we already have of course.)

I'm not fan boy of NXT cause I think others like Qora, and even NEM may take up most of the market share later if they implement better but have a look at this to get an idea of the future scale of NXT and other 2nd Gen 'coins'. They will make '1st gen' coins almost obsolete.

NXT as units to me are more like tokens or vouchers than currency honestly.

http://www.nxtcommunity.org/nxt-asset-exchange
E-C.Guru (OP)

View Profile
May 12, 2014, 10:57:25 AM

Great stuff!

But then i'd say NXT is an e-currency that has features and a lot more to it than being just a currency. Well, whatever you and NXT users want to call it you should anyways.

But the altcoin/cryptocurrency community should start preparing for mass adoption of E-currency. It's just a handful that's doing that so far, everyone is just promoting their altcoin as it was Bitcoin itself. Except NXT, Etherum and 2-3 others not really sure. Bitcoin will be what people learn about first. Not "Cryptocurrency" or e-currency or whatever. It's bitcoin. And it will perhaps be like BitTorrent, maybe like Altavista. Who knows, everyone thinks different scenarios will play out.

Though, even Bitcoin should sooner or later adopt the word E-currency(or whatever that will be used for generael description of a cryptocurrency). Sooner or later the masses will use 1 word to describe bitcoin, ethereum, nxt, and all altcoins. if that word is cryptocurrency the public will have a really hard time swallowing it, with 100% certainty.

deamon

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

yes!?

View Profile
May 12, 2014, 11:59:56 AM

i thoutght a couple of weeks ago the best are:

Dcurr and Ecurr

"Dcurr" for digital-currency or just as in the gamingsector "Ecurr" for Esmeraldcurrency Smiley

if it is tooo long: DCUR and ECUR, sounds like a flow on the exchange

E-C.Guru (OP)

View Profile
May 13, 2014, 11:55:30 AM

I just realized though that E-Coin is 1 unit of an E-currency. Ofcourse. Stupid me  Angry

/Guru
rgm108

Activity: 274
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 13, 2014, 12:12:28 PM

But digital currency literally means Numerical Currency. What currency is not counted in numbers/digits?  Undecided

Sry but I do not agree.
Digital as in the opposite of analogue.

Digital data, in information theory and information systems, are discrete, discontinuous representations of information or works, as contrasted with continuous, or analog signals which behave in a continuous manner, or represent information using a continuous function.

Thanks to: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_data

SPECTRE                ▄▄███▄▄
            ▄▄███▀▀▀▀▀███▄▄
▄▄      ▄▄███▀▀ ▄▄███▄▄ ▀▀███▄▄      ▄▄
████▄▄  ▀▀▀ ▄▄███████████▄▄ ▀▀▀  ▄▄████
  ▀▀████▄    ▀▀█████████▀▀    ▄████▀▀
 ██▄▄ ▀██ █▄▄    ▀▀▀▀▀    ▄▄█ ██▀ ▄▄██
 ▀▀███ ██ █████▄       ▄█████ ██ ███▀▀
     ██ ███████▄   ▄███████ ██
       ██ ████████   ████████ ██
       ██▄▄ ▀▀████   ████▀▀ ▄▄██
        ▀▀███▄▄ ▀▀   ▀▀ ▄▄███▀▀
            ▀▀███▄▄▄▄▄███▀▀
                ▀▀███▀▀
            │
     │      ███
     │      ███
    │    ███
███  │    ███
███ ███ ███ ███
███ ███ ███ ███
███ ███ ███ ███
███ ███ ███ ███
███ ███     │
███ ███     │
    │

▬▬     WHITEPAPER    ▬▬
FACEBOOK     TELEGRAM
TWITTER     SLACK     MEDIUM
PRE-SALE.
PUBLIC SALE.
E-C.Guru (OP)

View Profile
May 13, 2014, 02:00:32 PM

I know, I read that too. But that is digital data. Not digital. Digital means numerical. Numerical data = data stored as 1's and 0's

Anyways, I'm fighting the whole established terminology of the 21st century here Cheesy
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: