Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 04:53:59 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How did you guys get into bitcoin?  (Read 9220 times)
Prayer

Activity: 69
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 20, 2012, 06:36:58 PM

I saw the post about it on Lifehacker and started mining on my 8800GT right away. Obviously that didn't work very well, so I upgraded to 2 6870s last September. Smiley

Hey, my 8800GT is getting me some 25Mhash/s.  I'm getting ready to see if my old 8600GT will work as well.  Eventually, I might upgrade (I speced out my very own 8-core, 16GB, 3 VGA, 18TB server... just under $3000.  What fun that would be, especially if I sunk the whole thing in mineral oil and overclocked the crap out of it.

(the CPU and HDD would obviously be used for other tasks)

BTC/BEN:1PrayerRDDE2fohojZBQEwyjF2vsbz6eKw

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
February 20, 2012, 06:46:11 PM

I saw the post about it on Lifehacker and started mining on my 8800GT right away. Obviously that didn't work very well, so I upgraded to 2 6870s last September. Smiley

Hey, my 8800GT is getting me some 25Mhash/s.  I'm getting ready to see if my old 8600GT will work as well.  Eventually, I might upgrade (I speced out my very own 8-core, 16GB, 3 VGA, 18TB server... just under $3000.  What fun that would be, especially if I sunk the whole thing in mineral oil and overclocked the crap out of it.

Yeah, vats of boiling oil are always fun!
Krak

Activity: 591
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
February 20, 2012, 07:21:34 PM

Ooo, sounds epic.

BTC: 1KrakenLFEFg33A4f6xpwgv3UUoxrLPuGn
Prayer

Activity: 69

View Profile
February 20, 2012, 07:40:13 PM

It would indeed be epic.  There are some rigs (not necessarily mining rigs) posted out there.  Just do a(n image) search for "computer submerged in oil" to see some very cool systems.

The oil itself wouldn't boil, you still have to deal with the heat, but once that heat is in the oil, there are number of solutions to get rid of that heat, or even to make further use of it.

A closed loop water pre-heater would do wonders to offset the energy consumption, same thing by pumping it through a radiator tied into your heating system.  In the summer, you can pump it through a radiator located outdoors.

Anyways, this is probably a topic for another thread, I'm just glad to find something to waste some bits on until I get out of newbie jail. Smiley

-Prayer

BTC/BEN:1PrayerRDDE2fohojZBQEwyjF2vsbz6eKw
humilulo

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 20, 2012, 09:01:30 PM

i hardly remember how i found bitcoins. i think it had to do with encryption stuff i was looking up and i probably stumbled onto it from a page or document about encryption that mentioned something like a particular algorithm i was reading about was used in BitCoin. but that's my best guess. i wish i remembered. i will need to ask my fiance.

it is good for people to mention random things to other people like ... if you have not read about the Dvorak keyboard layout, then please, check it out! i love BitCoin, but i love this great, simplified keyboard layout as much as i like BitCoins too! here are a few highlights to tease your interest then i will stop because i don't want to turn my subject into other topics. but while i'm on this bunny trail... the Qwerty keyboard layout was designed to make typing slower! and the Dvorak keyboard layout was designed for the opposite: to be the most efficient typing layout for our English language. (i personally attest that it is MUCH more comfortable! because more efficient means less work on one's hands, thus easier and more comfortable. i hate the Qwerty layout now.) um, i will stop there, but if you want to inquire of this just email me at shawn2012 (at) sorren.com.

and BitCoin... i love it too! it is a powerful tool that big banks are scared of. consider how they essentially forced Paxum to stop assisting BitCoin exchanges! it is like the petroleum industry hating electric cars (which are better for the end consumer and the environment) but worse for petroleum companies and car manufacturers (because electric cars don't break as often and their design is FAR simpler, so MANY less parts in an electric car to wear out). but with much power that BitCoin has, it can be abused too. BitCoin is only a tool that can be used for good or bad. it is the users behind it that make the good or bad. just like cash. Tongue so if you hear anyone putting BitCoin down, remind them that the internet is used for good and bad too. they are both technologies that give *people* the power to choose their fate.

p.s. if anyone want's to rent movies with bitcoins, my brother and i already have a website up and running that uses USD via PayPal for users to pay for credits and watch movies. (we made it before NetFlix was popular.) i recently learned of BitCoin, and now i am interested in coding it to accept BitCoins. any programmers interested in helping, please contact me. for now, if you give me $1 worth of BTC, i will give you $2 USD worth of credit.

enjoy!
Krak

Activity: 591

View Profile WWW
February 20, 2012, 09:13:58 PM

It would indeed be epic.  There are some rigs (not necessarily mining rigs) posted out there.  Just do a(n image) search for "computer submerged in oil" to see some very cool systems.
Yeah, I saw a bit about that on Tekzilla once. Sounds like it'd be something cool to try.

it is good for people to mention random things to other people like ... if you have not read about the Dvorak keyboard layout, then please, check it out! i love BitCoin, but i love this great, simplified keyboard layout as much as i like BitCoins too!
I'm typing on Dvorak right now. I agree, it is much better than Qwerty once you get used to it. Smiley

BTC: 1KrakenLFEFg33A4f6xpwgv3UUoxrLPuGn
SuperP

Activity: 658
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 21, 2012, 12:13:08 AM

I read an article in Dec '10 and tried out the client but sadly pushed it aside.  Saw a comment on reddit about 6 months later and saw that it had gained momentum.
paraipan
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: 1pirata

View Profile WWW
February 21, 2012, 01:53:17 AM

I don't remember too much but i was looking at an article bashing this new bitcoin thing and, because i'm used to understand exactly the opposite of what mass-media tells us, i started looking into it until it got me for good. In two days i was mining and never stopped since. Felt the coin-rush too, awesome feeling btw  Smiley

BTCitcoin: An Idea Worth Saving - Q&A with bitcoins on rugatu.com - Check my rep
throwaway

Activity: 57

View Profile
February 21, 2012, 02:39:43 AM

Read an article after the price crashed from $30; started mining a couple days later.
Realpra

Activity: 815
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 21, 2012, 03:38:56 AM

Well I heard about BitCoin before really using Paypal, western union or wire transfers much and thought "Cool, but what for really?".

THEN I heard about it again and realized how easy it made sending money around the world, programming money/banking APIs and the economic advantage over existing methods.

Safe to say I got a lot more interested and here I am a few nights of feverish reading and an annoyed girlfriend later.

Posting to get out of newbie hell and volunteer a little help in developing PoS systems.

Cheap and sexy Bitcoin card/hardware wallet, buy here:
http://BlochsTech.com
TheHeroMember

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
February 21, 2012, 03:39:44 AM

Read an article after the price crashed from $30; started mining a couple days later.

Interesting, LOL.  Smiley

Hey Guys! WWW.FREEBITCOINS.ORG introduces "Epic December Contest" where you can Win Sweet Casascius Coins !!!
MXRider

Activity: 466

View Profile
February 21, 2012, 07:36:36 PM

From a computer forum
finway

Activity: 714

View Profile
February 22, 2012, 01:32:23 AM

from newspaper, after the hack of mtgox.

btuzon

Activity: 3

View Profile
February 22, 2012, 02:59:48 AM

read an article about people who were able to buy bitcoins at 0.01 USD then able to sell them like 20 USD a piece. sweet.
RDarke

Activity: 17

View Profile
February 22, 2012, 03:30:03 AM

I had seen several sites that accepted them but never really paid attention. Then I finally decided to see what the hell a Bitcoin was. Now I'm mining at 350MH/s and hoping to double it by the end of the month.
12gaFacelift

Activity: 277

View Profile
February 22, 2012, 03:42:31 PM

im a wolf in sheep's clothing........ just to see and now just for fun.

"Never get into fights with ugly people, they have nothing to lose."

Never argue with idiots, they just drag you down to their level then beat you with experience. ~ *CANADA ONLY* Colloidal Silver Wire Rod - 12 Gauge Pure Silver .9999 - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=775964.0

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=731923.0
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1323657.0
naomioleary

Activity: 7

View Profile
February 22, 2012, 05:24:16 PM

I'm not sure where I first heard about it but I became fascinated with the idea of a currency that can be created independently of a state or a central bank. So here I am, researching, trying to understand how it works, and writing up an article about Bitcoins for Reuters, where I work.
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
February 23, 2012, 01:50:42 AM

I'm not sure where I first heard about it but I became fascinated with the idea of a currency that can be created independently of a state or a central bank. So here I am, researching, trying to understand how it works, and writing up an article about Bitcoins for Reuters, where I work.
Hopefully you're finding Bitcoin to be a positive thing thus far?  We need more positive publicity!
TheHeroMember

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
February 23, 2012, 04:55:05 AM

Warning!  Bitcoins are addictive.

Hey Guys! WWW.FREEBITCOINS.ORG introduces "Epic December Contest" where you can Win Sweet Casascius Coins !!!
triplehelix

Activity: 84

View Profile
February 23, 2012, 06:50:26 AM

Warning!  Bitcoins are addictive.

unbelievably so.  i have no idea why either, but damn i'm hooked.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: