Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 05:57:13 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How did you guys get into bitcoin?  (Read 9220 times)
redmist

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 05, 2012, 08:02:42 AM

I had a look on the deep web and on silk road, and i saw if you wanted to buy stuff, you needed BTC. From there, i just sort of looked it up  Tongue

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Omni

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 05, 2012, 07:52:28 PM

Found out  trading on  Silkroad.

Anyways Goomboo great post.
finkleshnorts

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 10, 2012, 02:40:31 PM

Wikipedia. I am still very skeptical but I want to be a part, because I love the ideals and the implementation. Here are my two reservations about bitcoin:

1. the longterm viability of mining/transaction fees is really dubious to me. Even now, as evident in this thread, people are not mining because it is not profitable. It should always be profitable, whether it is by mining or by transaction fees. Thoughts, all disclaimed with a "maybe":When they cut the reward in half, sh*t is gonna happen, right? Even after the transaction fees stabilize, only the miners with access to the cheapest electricity and most efficient machines will come out on top. Nobody else will be able to compete. Is it heading towards a monopoly? Also, why not gradually reduce the reward instead of cutting it in half intermittently? It's pre-programmed market trauma, as it now stands.

2. Some more "maybes": The vision seems too small scale. People talk all day about how infinitely divisible coins is so amazing, but it's really not that great considering that a very small handful of people are sitting on 5%ish of the long term total and 12%ish of btc in circulation. I realize that they deserve a payoff, and that early adopters in any bubble are rewarded. But until all of the hoarders and speculators (early and newcoming) start spending, btc will remain a daytrading playground and retirement delusion. Hell, I wish Mt. Gox made their limit even smaller. I also think the 21 million get out way too fast.

Unless we have a few more Mt. Gox freakouts in a short time, I think btc will be around for awhile.
1.  Why would mining become a monopoly?  There's many people with good electric rates that have huge mining farms - not just one person.  And to make the argument that in the future, mining will be viable to few enough people that Bitcoin is susceptible to a 51% attack, you'd have to do some detailed analysis to figure out what total hashing power makes staging a 51% attack practical/profitable.  Mining doesn't need to be profitable to everyone, just so long as there are enough miners to secure the network from a single party taking over the network.

2.  I agree with you there.  Having 7% of the coins owned by a single person (Satoshi), and several others with smaller whole percents is absurd if this can ever hope to be a currency on the scale of the USD.  The current richest man in the world only has enough wealth to equate about 0.5% of the USD in circulation.

Who knows though - maybe 50 years down the road, if none of those original coins are moving, people might assume that Satoshi got hit by a car and died, without leaving anyone else any information about his wallet.  In other words, those coins would be assumed dead and never moving.

Good points. It would be cool, though, to see a system where mining would be profitable for everyone willing to run the software. That would be the most badass network ever. Our grandparents would be running it.
BTC guy

Activity: 378

View Profile
March 11, 2012, 02:15:46 AM

I sold computer stuff to some guy on CL. After the sale we were talking computers. He asked me, are you mining? Thats how i got in to this.

JennyHill

Activity: 28

View Profile
March 11, 2012, 05:31:13 PM

I started using them because I own and run a small graphic design school and I have about 85 always on computers with high end graphics cards. I learned about Bitcoin from a student that said these cards could be used to mine bitcoins and he taught me about it. I started reading here and realized that Bitminter could be easily turned on and off using a timer in a simple script so I'm in. Everything I bought for everyone in my life last Christmas was paid for with Bitcoin.  Grin
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
March 11, 2012, 07:28:52 PM

Good points. It would be cool, though, to see a system where mining would be profitable for everyone willing to run the software. That would be the most badass network ever. Our grandparents would be running it.

That would be cool, like unicorns who crap skittles. Think about it, if mining is profitable no matter how inefficient you are it's endless free money and all resources on the planet will eventually be dedicated to it.

It's wonderful as it is, the amount of resources dedicated depend on the worldwide demand for the system and the supply is anyone who can provide the service we need cheaper than average. To me it's more magical than (impossible) free money.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
triplehelix

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 12, 2012, 01:40:59 AM

I started using them because I own and run a small graphic design school and I have about 85 always on computers with high end graphics cards. I learned about Bitcoin from a student that said these cards could be used to mine bitcoins and he taught me about it. I started reading here and realized that Bitminter could be easily turned on and off using a timer in a simple script so I'm in. Everything I bought for everyone in my life last Christmas was paid for with Bitcoin.  Grin

that rocks.  whats your hash rate?
JennyHill

View Profile
March 12, 2012, 02:00:13 AM

It fluctuates greatly by time of day and at no time are they all used to mine at once but 20-40 ghash is about what I get spread among several different pools.  I ramped up slowly to where I am now for fear of damaging the machines but it seems to be working.
intertrade

Activity: 6

View Profile
March 12, 2012, 02:37:06 AM

I started mining with some low-end hardware. Now im interested in more economic contacts that are bitcoin related.
triplehelix

View Profile
March 12, 2012, 02:57:17 AM

It fluctuates greatly by time of day and at no time are they all used to mine at once but 20-40 ghash is about what I get spread among several different pools.  I ramped up slowly to where I am now for fear of damaging the machines but it seems to be working.

very nice.  what is your electricity situation?  industrial rates?
JennyHill

View Profile
March 12, 2012, 03:19:07 AM

Ha ha, I could have predicted the next question. The campus is mostly solar power, photovoltaic cell with solar radiant water heating systems. My building feeds back into the grid so much that we routinely get a check from the power company for back spinning the meter.
triplehelix

View Profile
March 12, 2012, 03:47:37 AM

Ha ha, I could have predicted the next question. The campus is mostly solar power, photovoltaic cell with solar radiant water heating systems. My building feeds back into the grid so much that we routinely get a check from the power company for back spinning the meter.

sounds like you have it made in the shade.  power usage is a massive part of the profitability equation.
TheHeroMember

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
March 12, 2012, 04:09:31 AM

I sold computer stuff to some guy on CL. After the sale we were talking computers. He asked me, are you mining? Thats how i got in to this.

Cool.  Smiley

Hey Guys! WWW.FREEBITCOINS.ORG introduces "Epic December Contest" where you can Win Sweet Casascius Coins !!!
JennyHill

View Profile
March 12, 2012, 04:13:02 AM

sounds like you have it made in the shade.  power usage is a massive part of the profitability equation.

I still have maintenance and upgrade expenses but this sure is a nice way to offset the costs.  Grin
Serenata

Activity: 250

View Profile WWW
March 12, 2012, 12:24:53 PM

I was on this page http://ottopress.com/2010/wordpress-3-0-multisite-domain-mapping-tutorial/ looking for instructions to help a friend setup Wordpress Network. At some point I noticed this "Or, send me bitcoins!". That was it! I immediately started my research Smiley I have read a lot of topics on this forum; for 4-5 days without registering. I consider it to be revolutionary and I just couldn't resist being a part of it Cheesy

When I manage to get some bitcoins, I'm thinking of sending Otto a Bitpresent.

BitcoinX.gr - To ελληνικό στέκι τoυ Bitcoin

My GPG Key
Dansko

Activity: 40

View Profile WWW
March 12, 2012, 01:07:42 PM

I seen a Post on Slashdot and decided to check it out. At first I thought it was doomed to fail but later changed my Mind.
MoneyIsDebt

Activity: 642
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 12, 2012, 06:21:40 PM

I was looking for a way to do microtransactions online. Most solutions out there require a US bank account, which I don't have.
finkleshnorts

Activity: 336

View Profile
March 13, 2012, 01:47:37 PM

That would be cool, like unicorns who crap skittles. Think about it, if mining is profitable no matter how inefficient you are it's endless free money and all resources on the planet will eventually be dedicated to it.

It's wonderful as it is, the amount of resources dedicated depend on the worldwide demand for the system and the supply is anyone who can provide the service we need cheaper than average. To me it's more magical than (impossible) free money.

touche
jlambert

Activity: 7

View Profile
March 13, 2012, 06:20:35 PM

I heard/read about it a year or so ago and recently (last week) stumbled on it again.  I bought some coins to test out and love it.  I see it as an investment and also a way for us to change internet money transfers.
twoglovedanny

Activity: 48

View Profile
March 14, 2012, 01:44:28 AM

My dad owns a few buildings on Montreal's south shore, and one of the renters disappeared off the face of the earth, He had a mining operation going in one of the spaces that used to be a printing company. Until the space gets rented again I can use it to run all the equipment. Once it is rented I need to find a spot for everything, but I am not too sure about the power requirements. Once the weather starts to warm up I might start selling things off I just hope the price of 5870 and 5970 series are still worth about 175$ and 350$ each.

I have been doing this for about 6 months now and am using my own private pool and things have been going great.

I love the chalange and the tweaking, learning Linux is an eventual task i will get to, but for now strictly windows 7.

The hardest part is keeping my day job, with this easy money coming in its not the easiest thing getting up and starting work at 4 am.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: