Bitcoin Forum
June 24, 2024, 03:07:19 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What's shown to reciever when sending an e-mail? Your IP? Is this a risk?  (Read 1428 times)
E-C.Guru (OP)

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 11, 2014, 12:01:39 PM

An alleged hacker(profesional, working With Security) totally dismissed bitcoin because he said it was easy to steal.

"Just make the person you want to steal from send you an e-mail and you get his ip. From there, "all you have to do is to implement a Trojan on his computer".

(I think he was making it sound a bit easier than it is..?)

Is this why there's a lot of bad smelling peeps here asking for contact threw e-mail on their first post? Because they know here sits a horde of bitcoin holders, big or small..

Just some noob questions. Can somoene hook me up With a Internet Security 101 that you know to be good i'd appreciate it.

thank you for Your time,
/Guru
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1520

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
May 11, 2014, 12:40:39 PM

An alleged hacker(profesional, working With Security) totally dismissed bitcoin because he said it was easy to steal.

"Just make the person you want to steal from send you an e-mail and you get his ip. From there, "all you have to do is to implement a Trojan on his computer".

Is this why there's a lot of bad smelling peeps here asking for contact threw e-mail on their first post? Because they know here sits a horde of bitcoin holders, big or small..

Just some noob questions. Can somoene hook me up With a Internet Security 101 that you know to be good i'd appreciate it.

thank you for Your time,
/Guru

Do I understand this correctly:

The claim is:

- Bob (Victim) sends Eve (Attacker) a Mail = Eve has IP of Bob
- Eve has IP of Bob and thus can infect Computer of Bob

Eve has no idea what computer bob is using or what other devices between Eve (or the internet) and Bobs computer (e.g. a router) only an IP?

Never knew its that easy...

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
E-C.Guru (OP)

View Profile
May 11, 2014, 12:45:15 PM

thank you for Your time,
/Guru

The claim is:

Eve has no idea what computer bob is using or what other devices between Eve (or the internet) and Bobs computer (e.g. a router) only an IP?

Well that's what he claimed. Let's say there's 0 firewalls and 0 antivirus programs. Is it possible to enter another computer with only IP and put a trojan in it?

I mean, my antivirus alerts for this all the time. Maybe it's just taking credit for something I know nothing about anyway?  Huh Grin
byt411

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 11, 2014, 12:46:44 PM

thank you for Your time,
/Guru

The claim is:

Well that's what he claimed. Let's say there's 0 firewalls and 0 antivirus programs. Is it possible to enter another computer with only IP and put a trojan in it?

I mean, my antivirus alerts for this all the time. Maybe it's just taking credit for something I know nothing about anyway?  Huh Grin

As far as I know, you cannot infect someone's computer just by knowing their IP, otherwise almost all computers would be infected.
You know, antiviruses aren't that good, they can't detect a lot of trojans and stuff.
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 11, 2014, 01:45:17 PM

I might have time later for a lengthy answer. The short one is: this is a big pile of BS and whoever claims this has no idea.

#1 at best you get the IP of my mailserver (or the mail server of my mailprovider)
#2 if you have my IP you still need an attack vector. A vulnerability of some sort.

byt411

View Profile
May 11, 2014, 01:55:22 PM

I might have time later for a lengthy answer. The short one is: this is a big pile of BS and whoever claims this has no idea.

#1 at best you get the IP of my mailserver (or the mail server of my mailprovider)
#2 if you have my IP you still need an attack vector. A vulnerability of some sort.

Unless you can hack into the provider's database and check the logs to see where the other guy logged in from, you can't get his IP. He can use a VPN anyway.
pthnmj

Activity: 683
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 11, 2014, 02:04:37 PM

Don't be scared.

IP Addresses aren't directly hackable.

You are safe. As stated above, you'd need a vulnerability to get through...

The only thing that came to mind was Metasploit but that was back for Windows XP or earlier I believe.

You should be fine... Don't download, or open anything of his though (That's the only way an EMAIL) will get you infected.

Think: If you go on XBOX LIVE and get somebody's IP (You could infect many children)...

Obvious crock of BS.
byt411

View Profile
May 11, 2014, 02:06:00 PM

Don't be scared.

The only thing that came to mind was Metasploit but that was back for Windows XP or earlier I believe.

You should be fine... Don't download, or open anything of his though (That's the only way an EMAIL) will get you infected.

Think: If you go on XBOX LIVE and get somebody's IP (You could infect many children)...

Obvious crock of BS.

Exactly. A lot of people think that by opening an email a hacker can "burn their hard disk" and "erase all their files".
Simply not true.
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 11, 2014, 05:43:05 PM

-snip-
Exactly. A lot of people think that by opening an email a hacker can "burn their hard disk" and "erase all their files".
Simply not true.

Well there have been times...

http://www.computerbytesman.com/acctroj/

Dont write anything off as impossible. Modern systems are more secure because the devolpers learned from big mistakes in the past. Its not like they make big misstakes nowadays, right? right guys? guys?

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/security/ms14-021.aspx

escrow.ms
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004

View Profile
May 11, 2014, 07:04:52 PM

Don't be scared.
Obvious crock of BS.

Correct, IP address are meant to be public,no one can hack your PC via just IP unless there is some backdoor.

The only thing someone can do is, he can use metaspoit and get access to your router (if you are using default passwords) and that's only possible if IP address is static. (Most internet companies provides dynamic IP which keeps changing.)

So the only harm some noob hacker can do is "ddos attack".

byt411

View Profile
May 11, 2014, 07:06:34 PM

Don't be scared.
Obvious crock of BS.

Correct, IP address are meant to be public,no one can hack your PC via just IP unless there is some backdoor.

The only thing someone can do is, he can use metaspoit and get access to your router (if you are using default passwords) and that's only possible if IP address is static. (Most internet companies provides dynamic IP which keeps changing.)

So the only harm some noob hacker can do is "ddos attack".

... And is there anything the "hacker" can do if he gets into your router?
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 11, 2014, 07:12:28 PM

-snip-

Depending on the level of access the same you can do with your router and more.

byt411

View Profile
May 11, 2014, 07:13:38 PM

-snip-

Turn it off and brick it? Lol, so what?
Anyway, I don't use default password on my router, so I have nothing to worry about.
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 11, 2014, 07:20:42 PM

-snip-

Turn it off and brick it? Lol, so what?
Anyway, I don't use default password on my router, so I have nothing to worry about.

Well a bricked router would be a powerfull denial of service Wink

No, I was thinking about deep packet inspection or mitm to get your passwords. Or even mine bitcoins. Wasnt there a botnet that mined bitcoins off of routers? No longer usefull I guess, but routers usually dont use much of their cpu anyway. Not that a regular user would notice anyway. A router is the perfect place for an attack. Its the central of your home network.

Code:
Uptime	22 days, 08:02:15
CPU Load (1 / 5 / 15 mins) 0.00 / 0.00 / 0.00
CPU Usage 5.25%

jbrnt

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 11, 2014, 07:33:55 PM

"Just make the person you want to steal from send you an e-mail and you get his ip."

It was true years ago when users send email via the smtp server of their ISP. Now, most people use webmail, and service providers do not place IP addresses into email headers anymore.
monsterbitty

Activity: 122
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 11, 2014, 07:52:26 PM

No, it is not true that you can just simply hack someone using their ip, if that's the case, almost all computers would get trojan affected, because the hacker able to get easy access, just using some resolvers.

So that is safe, i believe.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
May 11, 2014, 07:55:13 PM

It is easy to steal the money from a bank, just drive around until you find a bank.  From there "all you have to do is break into the vault" and steal the money.
byt411

View Profile
May 11, 2014, 09:20:10 PM

It is easy to steal the money from a bank, just drive around until you find a bank.  From there "all you have to do is break into the vault" and steal the money.

Well, I guess you could track the location to the IP, visit their house, break in, turn on the computer and install a trojan. So, "all you have to do is to install a Trojan on his computer".
Mission Accomplished.
E-C.Guru (OP)

View Profile
May 11, 2014, 11:42:17 PM

As I thought then. Just wanted to hear it Smiley

While we're at it:

Would it be possible to create an anti keylogger program?

Say, every time you type in an A the program instantly types in 100 other letters and instantly deletes them aswell.

Perhaps this is what Wallets do?
grue
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1431

View Profile
May 12, 2014, 01:33:57 AM

While we're at it:

Would it be possible to create an anti keylogger program?

Say, every time you type in an A the program instantly types in 100 other letters and instantly deletes them aswell.

Perhaps this is what Wallets do?
no, it's been thought of, and the short answer is: no, it's not worth the effort.

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Adblock for annoying signature ads | Enhanced Merit UI
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: