Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 11:16:54 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Survey: Cryptocurrencies' language Gender  (Read 920 times)
QuasiSteve (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 11, 2014, 12:16:11 PM

Hello, Bitcointalk.org members!

I'd like to call a bit of attention to a survey I set up, asking what 'gender' (masculine / feminine / neuter) various Cryptocurrencies and fiat currencies are in people's languages.

It's only 10 questions, of which only 2 are required.  If you could take the 30 seconds or so to fill it in, that would be great!
I know people are privacy-conscious, so please note that I have opted not to store IP addresses in the survey results.

Survey: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/KLPNMBY

If you would rather not fill out the survey and prefer answering here, that's fine as well Smiley

I will be announcing the results in this same thread.

Thank you so much!
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
makebitcoin

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 11, 2014, 12:41:25 PM

I've filled it in. The answer was 'neuter' to all.
q119108

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 11, 2014, 03:08:07 PM

I have filled it.

xsmoffx

Activity: 37

View Profile
May 11, 2014, 05:23:43 PM

If you want people answering here too, just put the questions into your post
sabreezie

Activity: 39

View Profile
May 11, 2014, 05:25:16 PM

I have filled it too. Good luck with your survey!
QuasiSteve (OP)

Activity: 2

View Profile
June 05, 2014, 01:46:36 PM

Alright, didn't get very many responses, but it was fun anyway - a proper researcher can do a decent follow-up Cheesy

The questions were as follows:
  • What is the English name of your language?
  • If your language assigns a single gender to all currencies, what gender is it?
  • What gender is Bitcoin in your language?
  • What gender is Litecoin in your language?
  • What gender is Dogecoin in your language?
  • What gender is the U.S. Dollar in your language?
  • What gender is the Euro in your language?
  • What gender is the Japanese Yen in your language?
  • What gender is the Swiss Franc in your language?
  • What gender is the Norwegian Krone in your language?

There were 31 responses in total.  Excluding the languages '564, T****, and John', that leaves 28.  Culling 2 further respondents who decided that the English language had gender nouns for currencies known not to have them (Neuter), leaving 26.

Of these 26, 11 were for English (2 specifically 'American English', and 2 'British English').  All of these answered 'Neuter' to all the gender questions.

There were several languages with a single respondent:
In Czech, the common gender was Feminine, yet almost all the answers were Masculine, with the exception of the Euro (Neuter), and the Norwegian Crown (Feminine).
In Italian, all but the Norwegian Crown were Masculine.
In Polish, all answers were Neuter.
In Portuguese, the common gender was Feminine, yet almost all the answers for fiat currencies were Masculine, with the exception of the Norwegian Crown (Feminine).  The respondent indicated that cryptocurrencies are referred to as Masculine or Feminine, depending on who you ask.
In Russian, the common gender was Feminine, while the cryptocurrencies were answered as Neutral (no answers for the fiat currencies).
In Swedish, the gender indicated for all questions was Neuter.

With two respondents:
In French, the common gender is masculine, but e.g. the British Pound (write-in) is Feminine.  The answers to the questions asked were all Masculine.  One further point noted by a respondent was that Bitcoin may be masculine, but cryptocurrencies ("une crypto-monnaie") is Feminine.
Spanish is subject to the same quirk, with the respondent noting that almost every currency is Masculine, but with the British Pound being Feminine ("(una) libra esterlina").

With three respondents, Dutch is a mixed bag.  One respondent termed all currencies Neuter.  Another noted the common gender is Feminine, but all other answers were Masculine.  The third noted all currencies as Feminine. 

With four respondents, German is a mixed bag as well.  One respondent noted the common gender is Masculine, two others noted it as Feminine (the fourth did not answer that question).  While three of the respondents noted the fiat currencies as Masculine and the Norwegian Krone as feminine, a fourth noted the Norwegian Krone as Masculine as well.  Two of the respondents noted the cryptocurrencies as Masculine, a third noted them as Neuter, and the fourth noted them as Feminine with an additional note: "If the counter is just 'Doge' (a Doge), it's ambiguous and I would guess masculine. 'Coin' and 'currency' both translate to a word with feminine article, so words that contain it (a Dogecoin) would probably be feminine."

One observation is that even for fiat currencies, there is often a mixed bag.  The Norwegian Crown in particular is Feminine in several of the languages while the other fiat currencies asked about were Masculine.  I would hypothesize that this is due to the word 'crown' - similar, the 'pound' - existing for functions other than currencies, and the gender being transferred when referring to the currency.

Another is that the gender question does not appear to have been settled in some languages yet, as noted by the Portuguese respondent.  The answers for Dutch and German are in conflict - with a good point raised by one of the respondents regarding whether one refers to the full name ("Dogecoin"), or an abbreviation ("Doge"); a situation that does not occur for Bitcoin and Litecoin so much, but is certain to appear for other cryptocurrencies as well.

Lastly, the formatting of my questions may have needed work.  I suspect that some respondents interpreted the second question as asking "is the word 'currency' M/F/N?".

I'll leave you with this gem from a write-in respondent: In Esperanto, there are no noun genders - but Bitcoin, Litecoin and Dogecoin are translated as: Bitmono, Lajtkojno, Doĝkojno.
tigeRshoes

Activity: 49

View Profile
June 08, 2014, 07:27:04 AM

In Spanish, the only crypto I would say is feminine is Litecoin. I would say: "yo compre una Litecoin" or "yo tengo muchas Litecoins". For all the others I agree that they would be in the masculine tone, even Doge.
pawel7777
Legendary

Activity: 2436
Merit: 1561

View Profile WWW
June 08, 2014, 02:50:00 PM

In Polish, all answers were Neuter.

That's not correct.

By the rule of thumb, in Polish every name which ends with "a" is feminine, if it ends with "o" or "i" or "y" is neuter and if it ends with consonant - masculine. There are some exceptions tho.

So I put masculine in all except for Norwegian Krone (in Polish: "Korona").

What's the purpose of this anyway?

.freebitcoin.       ▄▄▄█▀▀██▄▄▄
   ▄▄██████▄▄█  █▀▀█▄▄
  ███  █▀▀███████▄▄██▀
   ▀▀▀██▄▄█  ████▀▀  ▄██
▄███▄▄  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▄▄██████
██▀▀█████▄     ▄██▀█ ▀▀██
██▄▄███▀▀██   ███▀ ▄▄  ▀█
███████▄▄███ ███▄▄ ▀▀▄  █
██▀▀████████ █████  █▀▄██
 █▄▄████████ █████   ███
  ▀████  ███ ████▄▄███▀
     ▀▀████   ████▀▀
BITCOIN
DICE
EVENT
BETTING
WIN A LAMBO !

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████████▄▄▄▄▄
▄▄▄▄▄██████████████████████████████████▄▄▄▄
▀██████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄
▄▄████▄█████▄████████████████████████████▄█████▄████▄▄
▀████████▀▀▀████████████████████████████████▀▀▀██████████▄
  ▀▀▀████▄▄▄███████████████████████████████▄▄▄██████████
       ▀█████▀  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▀█████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
.PLAY NOW.
jambola2
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1038

View Profile
June 08, 2014, 02:56:22 PM

English sounds so much simpler in this aspect.

Anyways , do you have any ideas following this ? A random survey doesn't really make sense , especially on this.

No longer active on bitcointalk, however, you can still reach me via PMs if needed.
newIndia
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1049

View Profile
June 08, 2014, 02:59:01 PM

Hello, Bitcointalk.org members!

I'd like to call a bit of attention to a survey I set up, asking what 'gender' (masculine / feminine / neuter) various Cryptocurrencies and fiat currencies are in people's languages.

It's only 10 questions, of which only 2 are required.  If you could take the 30 seconds or so to fill it in, that would be great!
I know people are privacy-conscious, so please note that I have opted not to store IP addresses in the survey results.

Survey: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/KLPNMBY

If you would rather not fill out the survey and prefer answering here, that's fine as well Smiley

I will be announcing the results in this same thread.

Thank you so much!

You could have more votes if u created the poll on this forum rather than surveymonkey...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: