Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 06:02:40 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: eSports: The Future Of Pro Gaming?  (Read 996 times)
mrdeposit (OP)

Activity: 1358
Merit: 509

View Profile WWW
May 11, 2014, 05:30:56 PM

What are your thoughts on the pro gaming scene?

My thoughts: I see LCS(league of legends) and MLG(call of duty) are leading the way as far as marketing and cash prizes go. I would like to see a company push dota2 and sc2 a little harder in the USA as well as EU. Maybe even push hearthstore and a fighting game harder as well.
Snorek
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 11, 2014, 05:53:16 PM

I do like watching Starcraft 2 matches and sometimes Counter Strike Go but other then that I'm not so much into esports. Many people do not care about esports because they don't understand games or consider them as entertainment for kids.
kuroman

Activity: 588
Merit: 501

View Profile
May 11, 2014, 05:59:50 PM

What are your thoughts on the pro gaming scene?

My thoughts: I see LCS(league of legends) and MLG(call of duty) are leading the way as far as marketing and cash prizes go. I would like to see a company push dota2 and sc2 a little harder in the USA as well as EU. Maybe even push hearthstore and a fighting game harder as well.
Actually it was SC Broodwar that started the whole esport thing, games like Quake also contributed, and warcraft but esport remained a korean thing, till sc2 came out, the thing about sc2 is not a very accessible game to all public unlike Moba or FPS games especially when they are free like with league of legends, hence around the 2012 the market moved to those since they have a much larger audience.

As for money and marketing, LCS (2million$ in 2013) for example does not thrump WCS (1.6million in 2013) for example, especially if you consider that the everything related to League is split in 5 at least (5 players) while for sc2.

Just by nature Starcraft and Heartstone will have a smaller audience (with of course the demographic is different age/spending capabilities ect) than Mobas or FPS since they are not as accessible and easy, but Blizzard will probably strike hard with Heroes of the storm
Balls

Activity: 338
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 11, 2014, 06:02:21 PM

"E-sports" lol. I know there's a lot of skill involved, but they're not sports or athletes.
kuroman

View Profile
May 11, 2014, 06:21:26 PM

"E-sports" lol. I know there's a lot of skill involved, but they're not sports or athletes.
This is a total misconception, and if you look at the list of official sports there and the requirement to those, you can easily categories these games and especially the way they are played at the professional level as esport
Snorek
Legendary

View Profile
May 11, 2014, 06:25:25 PM

Does playing chess (on a competitive level) makes you an athletes? no but it's a sport nonetheless. Now think of some of a e-sport games as a match of chess played on PC or a console but with much more capabilities.
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
May 11, 2014, 06:34:49 PM

The main thing to remember is it's just a fucking game, if people want to organise competitions and stuff that's their business, I don't see why there's a need to turn it into a thing with lots of money involved.
mrdeposit (OP)

Activity: 1358
Merit: 509

View Profile WWW
May 11, 2014, 06:45:44 PM

The main thing to remember is it's just a fucking game, if people want to organise competitions and stuff that's their business, I don't see why there's a need to turn it into a thing with lots of money involved.

Then you're just clueless on what esports is all about. The is just to support esports but its all about pro gaming.
Snorek
Legendary

View Profile
May 11, 2014, 06:48:42 PM

Why games like Basketball or Baseball have their leagues, sponsors and all that other stuff?? Because people like to watch them, sometimes like to play themselves. The same goes with games, so the sponsors came with the money and paid for establishing game leagues, then other sponsors came along and so on
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
May 11, 2014, 07:49:17 PM

The correct term is eSports yes. Sports is not just about doing body intensive things such as soccer, tennis, skiing, swimming and such.
But I know that long ranked games can get tiring in League of Legends.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
kuroman

View Profile
May 11, 2014, 08:05:14 PM

At the end isn't every "SPORT" is a game in incense, you don't play a game of football, or a game of tennis ?....ect, I believe what makes a game of a thing a sport, is when you have a couple of important things involved, such professional sportmen that trains everyday being it physically mentally or both to achieve the results, when these guys makes solely a living out of it, and when you have organizations that are involved, when you have rules and regulations .......ect ect, and all these apply to eSport

The correct term is eSports yes. Sports is not just about doing body intensive things such as soccer, tennis, skiing, swimming and such.

Indeed LoL doesn't require as intensif physical effort as most of the famous sports, but there are games that require physical strenght, sc2 for example at the professional requires 300-400 average APM during a game than can last over an hours sometimes while making chess level decisions on a fraction of a second basis and also if you take the problem the other way around there are sports that doesn't require much physical effort, such as chess or archery or shooting

The thing here is that the medium is different hence the E

Activity: 125
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 11, 2014, 08:57:05 PM

I always watch SPL and GSL.sometimes a little OGN proleague.
I don't like koreans but they play some greatest games in the world.

faninasir

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 12, 2014, 12:05:29 PM

well every region has their own games that people their prefer like star craft in japan , Call of duty in america and europe , fifa everywhere ,, i live in Pakistan and here the future of Pro gaming is increasing day by day as more and more players are entering and more and more tournaments are being arranged , so future is bright for Pro gaming
Snorek
Legendary

View Profile
May 12, 2014, 12:27:47 PM

well every region has their own games that people their prefer like star craft in japan , Call of duty in america and europe , fifa everywhere ,, i live in Pakistan and here the future of Pro gaming is increasing day by day as more and more players are entering and more and more tournaments are being arranged , so future is bright for Pro gaming

Starcraft is huge in South Korea,major in US and Europe, not so much in Japan (if I'm not mistaken console games are number one)
kuroman

View Profile
May 12, 2014, 03:41:11 PM

Japan is the land of fighting games, Korea is the land of starcraft, sc2 is more international, while china is the land of warcraft3 but nowadays league and dota are the thing there
NXN_NFD_?

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 12, 2014, 08:54:48 PM

Japan is the land of fighting games, Korea is the land of starcraft, sc2 is more international, while china is the land of warcraft3 but nowadays league and dota are the thing there

actually japan is transfering to mobile at full speed,not some much room for console and handheld.fighting games along with arcade games r dying.slowly though.

korea is also catching up on LOL now with their highly advanced professional system.Check the recent Allstar 2014 and u will know they r dominating this game just like starcraft.

kuroman

View Profile
May 13, 2014, 02:40:45 PM

actually japan is transfering to mobile at full speed,not some much room for console and handheld.fighting games along with arcade games r dying.slowly though.

korea is also catching up on LOL now with their highly advanced professional system.Check the recent Allstar 2014 and u will know they r dominating this game just like starcraft.

Japan had always a thing for mobile game and mobile usage in general, but I'm talking from an eSport perspective, and Japanese are well known and have pro circuits for fighting games like streetfighter, as for Korea, yeah LoL is catching up and it will pass SC2 since Kespa is embracing it and the audience should be bigger due to the nature of the game, but what definined korean esport and what made Kespa a thing is starcraft ^^
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
May 13, 2014, 03:08:02 PM

Indeed LoL doesn't require as intensif physical effort as most of the famous sports, but there are games that require physical strenght, sc2 for example at the professional requires 300-400 average APM during a game than can last over an hours sometimes while making chess level decisions on a fraction of a second basis and also if you take the problem the other way around there are sports that doesn't require much physical effort, such as chess or archery or shooting

I played ranked from time to time in Silver and Gold, even that can be tiring sometimes. I get tired from it, I just wonder how much a competition would make me exhausted.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
kuroman

View Profile
May 13, 2014, 07:55:58 PM

I played ranked from time to time in Silver and Gold, even that can be tiring sometimes. I get tired from it, I just wonder how much a competition would make me exhausted.

They do put the effort as any sportsmen on any other sport, they train 12-16hours a day (on korean team hourses) and a minimum of 8-10hours for foreigners) at those conditions, under strict coaching and management, there are long terms chanpionships like proleague, but the usual tournament are held in 2-3days during weekends, and the players has to play the whole day, competing against the best to get to the top and sometimes they are playing for 100k$ +
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: