Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 09:15:55 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: A world with a karma points system...  (Read 1347 times)
­­­Atlas_ (OP)

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 18, 2011, 05:28:13 PM

I forget where but somebody had proposed a system where society's currency was replaced with karma points. If you had a high amount of karma, people would be obliged to care for you and make sure you are sustained in society. The ones with low or negative karma may end up killed in a back alley and so forth.

I really thought about the circumstances of such a situation and I realized we already live in such a society today. The people who are capable of bringing the most value to society are often sought after for universities through scholarships and such, in addition to almost being guaranteed a job. Those who don't have very valuable skills and are hence aren't able to bring much value to other people are left searching and building themselves for opportunity or to be cared by the altruistic few that happen to gain value from them.

Is my conclusion correct?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Transactions must be included in a block to be properly completed. When you send a transaction, it is broadcast to miners. Miners can then optionally include it in their next blocks. Miners will be more inclined to include your transaction if it has a higher transaction fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
mewantsbitcoins

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 18, 2011, 06:39:12 PM

The most sought after in this system are the ones with submisive personality traits, incapable of independent thought and just smart enough to operate the machines.
The most capable and innovative individuals are kept from any influential positions at a miles length because otherwise it introduces instability
LMGTFY

Activity: 644
Merit: 502

View Profile
April 18, 2011, 06:46:58 PM

I forget where...
Down and out in the Magic Kingdom? (Not read it, on my list, but "whuffie" sounds like what you're describing...)

This space intentionally left blank.
­­­Atlas_ (OP)

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 18, 2011, 07:06:49 PM

I forget where...
Down and out in the Magic Kingdom? (Not read it, on my list, but "whuffie" sounds like what you're describing...)
Yep, I need to read it as well. Thanks.

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 18, 2011, 11:58:01 PM

I forget where but somebody had proposed a system where society's currency was replaced with karma points. If you had a high amount of karma, people would be obliged to care for you and make sure you are sustained in society. The ones with low or negative karma may end up killed in a back alley and so forth.

I really thought about the circumstances of such a situation and I realized we already live in such a society today. The people who are capable of bringing the most value to society are often sought after for universities through scholarships and such, in addition to almost being guaranteed a job. Those who don't have very valuable skills and are hence aren't able to bring much value to other people are left searching and building themselves for opportunity or to be cared by the altruistic few that happen to gain value from them.

It sounds like to me the aforementioned Down and out in the Magic Kingdom. However, I disagree with your use of the word "obliged". Also, even if someone has a low or negative karma, killing them should still be objected too.

Also check out "And Then There Were None" (simple readers guide which is a non-automated system of life without money.
kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
April 19, 2011, 01:07:04 AM

Wrong. You appears to be useful or is useful to an institution. Whether or not that depend on your talent is an attribute that must be decided by an institution or organization.

The Script

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 22, 2011, 08:38:12 PM

I have read Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom, and recommend it.  The Whuffie system is essentially what you're talking about.  It's basically how much other people respect you, so you have to live your life not only trying to piss people off as little as possible, but also actively seeking to cooperate and engage with others.  It's a really interesting read because it is a society without government but also in a post-modern post-scarcity situation.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: