Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 04:30:25 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Analysis of impact of pool hopping through numbers  (Read 981 times)
Sargasm (OP)

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 21, 2012, 10:51:57 PM

Howdy folks...  I notice some anomalous data having to do with low returns on short blocks, so I did some analysis and this is what I found:

This looks like some interesting data that seems to point at pretty substantial losses due to pool hopping in early parts of rounds.

Basically I ran a bunch of numbers and I'm looking at some anomalies that would be highly unlikely to be caused by chance.

Since I was seeing what seemed to be much lower numbers than I should have seen on short rounds, I had to do some data analysis with small sample set that had some progressive variance caused by systems going down from time to time.

So, my analysis is off a somewhat normalized figure of 5 chronologically continuous blocks average payout.  I compared the 5 block normalized average to individualized payouts as a percentage compared to the average of all payouts in the sample set.

It shows that in blocks that move faster (are shorter), payouts deviate from running averages to the tune of 85.34% in this small sample set.

Larger blocks have a mean average of 104.47%.

You can see the analysis here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0AhhejNMzWwx8dGpYZE9FYXk3d05MQjVDNUxLcHNXZkE&output=html

In this small sample set, short rounds with the problem account for about 27% of the blocks. 

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Littleshop
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
January 22, 2012, 07:01:51 AM

Howdy folks...  I notice some anomalous data having to do with low returns on short blocks, so I did some analysis and this is what I found:

This looks like some interesting data that seems to point at pretty substantial losses due to pool hopping in early parts of rounds.

Basically I ran a bunch of numbers and I'm looking at some anomalies that would be highly unlikely to be caused by chance.

Since I was seeing what seemed to be much lower numbers than I should have seen on short rounds, I had to do some data analysis with small sample set that had some progressive variance caused by systems going down from time to time.

So, my analysis is off a somewhat normalized figure of 5 chronologically continuous blocks average payout.  I compared the 5 block normalized average to individualized payouts as a percentage compared to the average of all payouts in the sample set.

It shows that in blocks that move faster (are shorter), payouts deviate from running averages to the tune of 85.34% in this small sample set.

Larger blocks have a mean average of 104.47%.

You can see the analysis here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0AhhejNMzWwx8dGpYZE9FYXk3d05MQjVDNUxLcHNXZkE&output=html

In this small sample set, short rounds with the problem account for about 27% of the blocks. 

Which pool was this done on?

Sargasm (OP)

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 22, 2012, 08:18:32 AM

Slush.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: