Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 02:58:35 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Capacitor repair on an Antminer S1 board?  (Read 7037 times)
cloverme (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1057

SpacePirate.io

View Profile WWW
May 12, 2014, 01:35:53 PM

I got a new S1 from bitmain but a component is missing from one of the blades. I contacted them, but they don't seem to understand what the situation is as they're telling me to press down on the chips and to recycle the power.

A little bit of research on my own has revealed that one of the capacitors has broken off the board. The identical capacitor is right next to it, I could probably repair it myself, but having some trouble identifying the capacitor.

Any help in ID'ing the capacitor or you know someone that repairs Antminer S1's in the states would be appreciated.

Thanks
wpgdeez

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 12, 2014, 01:44:54 PM

Heres what you don't want your cap to look like ...

TheRealSteve

Activity: 686

FUN > ROI

View Profile
May 12, 2014, 01:53:33 PM

It's a 1500 micro Farad  (µF), 2.5V rated, Organic Conductive Polymer, SMD package, capacitor.  The 'C4' at the top is just a date code.  Looks like it's for power - you could probably get away with a different one.  However, this is really something Bitmain should be fixing - either by having you RMA it, or, in agreement, sending you a spare part with the understanding that you'd be voiding your warranty.

cloverme (OP)
Legendary

SpacePirate.io

View Profile WWW
May 12, 2014, 02:14:48 PM

It's a 1500 micro Farad  (µF), 2.5V rated, Organic Conductive Polymer, SMD package, capacitor.  The 'C4' at the top is just a date code.  Looks like it's for power - you could probably get away with a different one.  However, this is really something Bitmain should be fixing - either by having you RMA it, or, in agreement, sending you a spare part with the understanding that you'd be voiding your warranty.

Thanks, agreed. I've tried contacting Bitmain about an RMA (included the photo), but they don't seem to understand what I'm trying to communicate. I'll keep trying.
TheRealSteve

Activity: 686

FUN > ROI

View Profile
May 12, 2014, 02:39:13 PM

Thanks, agreed. I've tried contacting Bitmain about an RMA (included the photo), but they don't seem to understand what I'm trying to communicate. I'll keep trying.
Hah.. it's.. pretty obvious from the photo what the problem is.  Note that I have no idea how crucial that component is in their topology, but either which way they should be able to tell you what to do.  I wonder if that cap was rolling around somewhere in the box you received.. seems more like something knocked it right off Smiley

cloverme (OP)
Legendary

SpacePirate.io

View Profile WWW
May 12, 2014, 03:13:58 PM

No doubt, I looked in the ESD bag and the box and no dice... It does hash, but 30% of the chips are shut down.  My guess is that it happened before someone put it inside an esd bag.

GigaWave

Activity: 239
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 05, 2014, 03:51:11 PM

Any luck with Bitmain helping you?  I had one explode, looks like wpgdeez'z below. Except it was the cap under the 12V+ header.(One farthest left in the below picture)  Funny thing to is, it was the same side of the miner. IE, the side opposite the control board.

Still haven't found the cap cover. Sure did give off a nice spray of sparks.

uhoh

Activity: 742

Circle gets the Square

View Profile
June 05, 2014, 04:38:25 PM

Should be a straight forward job. Should be able to find this in pretty much any electronics store. Though if they're popping this easily, might be better to replace them all with 5V caps.
wpgdeez

Activity: 728

View Profile
June 05, 2014, 05:08:40 PM

Any luck with Bitmain helping you?  I had one explode, looks like wpgdeez'z below. Except it was the cap under the 12V+ header.(One farthest left in the below picture)  Funny thing to is, it was the same side of the miner. IE, the side opposite the control board.

They gave me an RMA number for their account with UPS and UPS didn't know what I was talking about. I haven't bothered fixing it, maybe i'll get someone to solder on a new cap and see if it will hash again. Not sure what caused the CAP to pop, I would think some other underlying issue.
uhoh

Activity: 742

Circle gets the Square

View Profile
June 05, 2014, 05:17:09 PM

They gave me an RMA number for their account with UPS and UPS didn't know what I was talking about. I haven't bothered fixing it, maybe i'll get someone to solder on a new cap and see if it will hash again. Not sure what caused the CAP to pop, I would think some other underlying issue.

It'll probably be a pretty cheap cap that's being run too close to rating. Any TV repair shop will be able to fix this for you, the traces are intact, should take them a few seconds and cost virtually nothing. Better still though, if there is not many of them, have them all changed for a higher voltage replacement.

EDIT: If you get a replacement yourself, make sure its marked 'Low-ESR'.
Airwhale

Activity: 221
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 05, 2014, 07:09:02 PM

I've repaired two antminers with caps that broke,  one due to an accadent when moving an S1,  the other due to a return from shipping damage when I ebayed the miner.  It's a really easy repair. I agree that bitmain should probably just issue a refund/ ship you another blade. But, If you take the antminer to any good electronics store,  they should be able to walk you through the steps.  Or if you are in the San Francisco Bay area,  shoot me a PM and I'll do it for you over the weekend. =)

While you are figuring this out,  btw,  there is no reason not to have to other blade plugged in and earning for you.  
GigaWave

Activity: 239

View Profile
June 05, 2014, 09:43:45 PM

Yeah, I would like to know more about them. As in exactly what they are doing.

In my case I had a power outage and the PSU did not come back on. Unplugged and replugged the mains power about 3-4 times within about 15 seconds trying to get it to power back up. On the final try the cap popped. I removed power from the one blade and everything powered up fine.  Still no idea what the issue was.
klondike_bar
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1005

ASIC Wannabe

View Profile
June 06, 2014, 12:07:54 AM

the S1 will run fine without that capacitor, but you may need to treat it special in order to get it to power up okay.

1) power up unit normally.
2) if there are a few non-working chips (there likely will be), reboot the miner but leave the PSU on
3) the miner will reboot and the power will be stable enough in other capacitors that all the chips read up fine.

I have a unit missing that cap (i found it in the box after) and its running fine stock without doing any repairs just using the above method

24" PCI-E cables with 16AWG wires and stripped ends - great for server PSU mods, best prices https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=563461
No longer a wannabe - now an ASIC owner!
edgar
Legendary

Activity: 1848
Merit: 1001

View Profile
June 06, 2014, 01:36:28 AM

i also have recently received and S2 with broken & missing caps.

had exactly the same struggle trying to get bitmain to comprehend the situation.

dozens of messages relayed and he almost always says , try it again, reseat it, off & on, try again, dont worry - try again.

i have already seen images of exploded caps and the resultant non assistance.

as it happens my rig is running 9 0f 10 blades seemingly fine but it will live its life outside, im not risking my wooden house catching on fire so bitmain can save 0.01 dorrar worth of caps & 2 dorrars worth of thermal paste....

Disgusted.! 

but hey....moar coupons....ffs!!
togame

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 07, 2014, 08:45:18 PM

I recently received an S1 which is missing a cap from every pair. It looks like they were just never there. I still haven't heard back from bitmain yet. Does anyone know where we can purchase replacements? As close to these as possible is preferred.

https://i.imgur.com/lj274W7l.jpg
faetos

Activity: 744
Merit: 514

gotta let a coin be a coin

View Profile
June 07, 2014, 09:28:42 PM

I didn't pack one well when I moved and broke two of those off one board. It's been running well for over two months now. I don't OC it and haven't seen any adverse effects from the two missing parts.
intron

Activity: 427
Merit: 251

- electronics design|embedded software|verilog -

View Profile
June 07, 2014, 10:22:26 PM

I recently received an S1 which is missing a cap from every pair. It looks like they were just never there. I still haven't heard back from bitmain yet. Does anyone know where we can purchase replacements? As close to these as possible is preferred.

It is very well possible these were 'NOPOPs',
parts that were not ment to be populated
on the board.

Sometimes after testing a design, it turns
out some parts can be omitted without
decreasing the performance of the circuit.
Parts are then not placed during production
in order to save a few bucks.

When the solder on the pads looks nice and
regular, there were never caps on that location.

togame

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 07, 2014, 10:53:38 PM

on the board.

I understand that, however this unit does not perform as intended, which is why I contacted bitmain. This unit runs quite well for a few hours then performance decreases to a seemingly arbitrary rate. I've had it perform anywhere from 9 to around 140 Gh/s. The only way for me to fix this is to cycle the power.
edgar
Legendary

Activity: 1848
Merit: 1001

View Profile
June 08, 2014, 02:58:18 AM

on the board.

I understand that, however this unit does not perform as intended, which is why I contacted bitmain. This unit runs quite well for a few hours then performance decreases to a seemingly arbitrary rate. I've had it perform anywhere from 9 to around 140 Gh/s. The only way for me to fix this is to cycle the power.

yea but.... think how many whole cents Bitmain saved.

doesnt it seem worth it now?

Even with all components in place & functioning correctly, i imagine the thermal paste under your s1 blades could well be retarded/ineffective.

IF its even thermal grease...it might just be old engine oil mixed with fake baby milk powder!

Still - waste not, want not!
jimrome

Activity: 434

View Profile
June 08, 2014, 03:41:11 AM

on the board.

I don't think they should be DNPs, as they're the output caps for the buck regulator (the same part (TPS5335) you used on the Bitfury 25GH boards).

If anyone's interested here's the relevant schematic section.

Edgar: from what I've seen the heatsink compound used is of passable quality - the actual application during assembly varied wildly (too much, too little). The HS screws were also installed erratically, resulting in voids under the heatsink where no or little contact was made. I also had several where cutting/tapping fluid (which hadn't been cleaned out properly) oozed out from the heatsink screw holes and mixed with the compound, resulting in a runny mess.

Don't get me started on the HS design itself..
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: